Mercedes GLC Forum banner

Running boards

33K views 56 replies 23 participants last post by  terrytwn 
#1 ·
Do you love them or hate them

Reason why ?

#2 · (Edited)
I had them on my customised L200 pickup truck. I never wanted to step on them as they were highly polished stainless steel aftermarket jobbies. They were great for collecting all manner of detritus despite having mudflaps but at least there was always one part that was clean as I was continually wiping them with my trouser leg as I stepped over. I had to throw out all my pencil skirts as they were just too restrictive for climbing in or out. :D :D :D On the plus side I never got any door damage in car parks.

Reactions: Alfie
#3 ·
Love 'em.

Yes, you do need to step out a little further so you don't get your trousers dirty, but boy do they look good. I know it's all very subjective and others are not so keen, and I respect that, but they were a must for me and I'm so pleased I have them.

I think they give the car more road presence, and accentuate the sporty look, but just my humble opinion 😉

#5 ·
Fully agree Andy and everybody who has seen my car commented the same.

Reactions: AndyB
#6 ·
I can't stand them. Don't like them from a visual design, there is no need from a functional design.

The car is so low and they don't stick out enough to be useful to stand/ride on nor provide car park door slamming protection.

On the AMG especially I think they ruin the lines and reduce the visual impact of the staggered rears and arch extenders by basically giving it a bit of bloat between the feels.

When used in combination with the night pack I think the colour ruins the overall look as well.

I hope the quality is better than what I was on my GLS. They look to be made from the same material and did start to look tatty and stained like it was oxidising quite quickly.

Yup definitely in the hate camp.

#9 ·
No chance of that Andy!.

#14 ·
Thought about that myself Millduu but actually like the way they match the chrome door handles and they also break the look of the car up which I like.
After 4 days don't even notice them getting in and out.

#16 ·
Will leave mine as is Millduu, will soon not notice anything as spending a lot of time down tracks fishing will not be able to notice until it is cleaned in May.

Look forward to photos of yours when done.

#21 ·
#22 ·
Hi Luke, welcome to the forum and congratulations on the imminent arrival of your baby. :) You'll get a more targeted response if you stick your location in your profile but since you are collecting a 250d, I'll assume you may be in the UK. If you are looking for aftermarket running boards then you would do well to look at the site I have linked below. Their prices are a fraction of what Mercedes would ask for the OEM jobbies. :eek:

GLC running boards at Direct 4x4

#23 · (Edited)
I love them when fitted to others GLC's they look fantastic. For me, as I can't see them whilst I'm driving I didn't bother.
Actually I saw a Carwow's review of the GLC and it made me think about the dirty trouser thing. Also, I found it a little awkward getting out when I test drove a GLC with them fitted.
I do like the look of them though, very nice indeed...I had a lot of difficulty trying to find one that didn't have them fitted to see how it looked without them....

#24 ·
Sorry,

Yes UK! Car is landing at dealer this week and ready Tuesday for collection.

I might ask the dealer for a price to supply and fit (if you can retro fit to the amg line?) but I suspect the price is going to be eye watering!

I think they look stunning on both the GLC & GLE, I understand the debate about the back of your trousers getting dirty but its something you'll soon get used too.

I must say they look easy to fit from what I've seen on you tube so I will check out that website you gave

#25 ·
Hi Luke

Ask dealer for a discount as you have bought the car from them, I had roof rails and roofbox off dealer and got 25% off for aking what the best price was.

As you say you soon get used to them, at first they are a bit awkward but you soon forget they are there.

#27 ·
Welcome to the forum mroys, may be worth putting your location in your profile so we know where you are.

#29 ·
they make the car look wider, sportier, and more masculine IMO
the glc is too low for running boards so practicality wise it's not good. my pants rubbed the running board when i exited the car the first few times but now i found a way to avoid it. you'll get used to it

overall, if looks>practicality then i suggest you get the running boards

#32 ·
Mine is an ex demo just a few weeks old and didn't have them fitted but I negotiated for them to be included as part of the deal. I think it was only an hour or so labour and the dealers had them in stock at one of their branches.

I love them though only had the car 10 days and no problems catching trousers.

Bob

#34 ·
I don't hate running boards particularly but I didn't choose them for my GLC and here's why.

1. Like most, I originally thought running boards were to help shorter people and children climb in an out of vehicles with high ground clearance until I tried a vehicle with them fitted. I learned that the taper of the boards means that there isn't actually a step for your feet where you need it to be and that when dismounting, you have to put your leg further out which is more uncomfortable the shorter you are. Also, as others point out, the muddy boards are just waiting to scuff your ankles.

2. Running boards originate from the days when a footman used to push you out of mud and hop onto the boards to travel along to the next bog and do it again. If you don't need that service, you don't need running boards.

3. If you have roof bars and carry loads often, you may need running boards to stand on whilst securing loads and unloading. I don't.

4. Running boards alter the dimensions of the vehicle and this in turn alters the capabilities.

Reactions: mroys
#35 ·
Must get mine removed now!.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.