start stop not function - Mercedes GLC Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 06:56 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
start stop not function

Anyone notice their start stop function stay in yellow most of the time?

some day I driven the car all day and the light (on the dash board) still stay on yellow ( which start stop not work)

and some day the light turn green (start stop working) after a 5 mins run..

Really dont know what condition it required for the start stop to be working.
Gallacpt likes this.
post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 03:04 PM

This is what I gathered from the website, not too sure if this helps though

Quote:
In manual transmission vehicles, the engine is switched off automatically when coasting to a stop (once the road speed drops below 8 km/h), the driver brakes and the gear lever is in neutral. If the driver engages the clutch pedal, the engine is started again. If the vehicle is equipped with an automatic transmission, it must be brought to a complete standstill before the engine is switched off. The engine restarts as soon as the driver's foot comes off the brake pedal.

Under certain conditions, some vehicles with the ECO start/stop function are also equipped with an additional starter-alternator, which is activated instead of a starter.This starts the engine much more quietly and more smoothly than a conventional starter, which is why it is ideal for operation with ECO start/stop. Using intelligent control electronics, the starter-alternator also supplies electrical energy for the on-board electrical system.

The ECO display in the instrument cluster shows when the function is active and the vehicle has come to a standstill. A faster response when starting and improved integration compared with competitor systems make for longer phases when the engine is stopped and quieter system operation. In practice, the ECO start/stop function can help achieve fuel savings, particularly in city traffic with a high number of traffic lights or traffic jams.

The ECO start/stop function developed by Mercedes Benz reduces fuel consumption and emissions by switching off the engine when the vehicle comes to a standstill (e.g. at traffic lights).

The engine restarts as soon as the driver's foot comes off the brake pedal.The intelligent ECO start/stop function adapts itself to the current driving scenario. It is linked to the air conditioner, for example, and is suspended as soon as the vehicle’s interior temperature drops below a certain threshold. Using manoeuvring detection, the ECO start/stop function is also turned off when the driver is parking the vehicle. A switch in the cockpit can deactivate the function completely at any time.
ECO start/stop function - Mercedes-Benz Canada
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 05:02 PM

I think it is really dependent on the ambient temperature, and what draw is being made on the vehicle. Mine seems to work as expected but then again the temperatures in the UK are pretty flat, so inside vs outside temperatures don't fluctuate too much.

Mercedes GLC43 AMG - Complete with crabbing options
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 07:37 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Took it back to the dealer to check and they said the batteries are running low and have to leave it there overnight to charge it back up...

and its now working much better (as it should be).
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 12:25 PM

Garage
There are about 8 different and very diverse criteria that need to be fulfilled before the Stop/Start function shows as available by lighting up green. The amount of charge available from the battery is just one of them. There does not seem to be any consistency in these criteria being met hence availability can be offered within minutes yet may not appear for over half an hour the next day even though conditions appear to be the same. I really don't think the function has a major impact on real world fuel economy. I suspect it's true purpose is to inflate the official consumption figures whilst controlling emissions thus giving the copy writers in the marketing department something attractive to work with.
mcm180 likes this.

Just once I want someone to call me "Sir" without adding "you're making a scene."
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 05:32 AM

stop start

This has happened with mine too. Garage starting to blame me for my style of driving. It has been into the garage 3 times each time they seem to blame the battery, each time they have returned to car and it still does not work. Any solutions? My GLC is still under warranty
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmercedes View Post
This has happened with mine too. Garage starting to blame me for my style of driving. It has been into the garage 3 times each time they seem to blame the battery, each time they have returned to car and it still does not work. Any solutions? My GLC is still under warranty
I have same problem with my 2016 GLC! Not rectified on 1st & 2nd year services despite my complaints. MB service department advised that the eco stop start not functioning was due to my vehicle only covering 5000 miles a year. I do not accept this is the root cause of the system failing to operate. Suspect battery is problem or software current threshold for the battery.
Indend to persue this matter with complacent MB only to ready to fob off its customers with feeble excuse for deficient eco stop start system.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmercedes View Post
I have the same problem. Took my car the the dealer today and it seems I got the same explanation as others but does not make sense to me so I will be taking it back again. I used to drive an E220 with eco mode with no problems!!
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 05:15 AM

Garage
Have seen on some other forums, where folk have continual "battery' issues ..or what is diagnosed as battery failures, but on more investigation ..was tracked down to a earth or earth lead issue from the battery or to one of the control boxes.

It is possible that this is giving false reading to the sensors ...so the Start/stop does not engage.

Perhaps something to discuss with your service manager.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 11:33 AM

I have this problem. Car is just a year old and the Stop Start worked perfectly until the first service When the car was serviced an update to the software was done. Since then I have not seen the amber light turn green on the instrument panel despite doing longer runs - 200 miles - several times.

I have had the car at the dealership today and they say they can't find anything wrong but it is going in again next week for them to have it for a full day to do further tests.

I am aware that there are a number of conditions that may affect the function but as the way we are using the car has not changed I cannot believe there is nothing wrong.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Peter S

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes GLC Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in