Mercedes GLC Forum banner

Garmin questions.

13K views 27 replies 9 participants last post by  romk1n 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,

Am I going crazy or there is no way to preview and select route you want drive ? Every sat nag I tired have this version but I don't seem to find how to enable it.

I even updated to latest version which is 8.1 and still nothing. Did old version had such capability ? The routes it chooses are just awful and I want to see before I go.

Thanks.

#4 ·
i.e. it would give a router through city centre when there is a quicker route around it. was driving to London today and it would just keep recalculating for 15 minutes before it set on a route.

Basically i just want to see a preview of 3 routes (short, optimal and fastest) before selecting one. reading the old manual for previous version there was an option to always ask in navigation menu, but seems it is gone in version 8.

quite disappointed with Garmin, would have Mercedes rather use CoPilot, much more advanced and nicer satnav.

#5 ·
The command system uses Tom Tom, haven't had any issues with it.

#7 ·
????? - odd comment, can you please explain what you mean!.

#9 ·
I have a one year old GLC which was supplied with the Garmin Sat Nav with maps v5.2.

I have just had the car in for service and asked them to update the maps. It has come back completely different. The interface seems to have almost gone back a version. It is predominantly grey and some of the functionality has gone. For instance you can now no longer see the route in advance as you could previously. It used to show the route by turns in text and you had the option to view the whole route on the map. Both these options you could see before you set off as well as alternative routes.

Now none of this shows. I took the car back and it has been in all day for them to look at it. They tell me it has had a 16gb upgrade!

The settings now show the maps version to be V5.1 but Mercedes assure me it is v8. I'm not convinced but dont know where to go on this one.

Has anyone else "upgraded" to suffer the same problem?

#17 ·
For Garmin Pilot SD card (US version), the current updates available are: Software V8.1 SW37,15,17/02.00, E70.2 (575 MB). Map : 2017 (V8.1) N. America (18.87 GB).

Following is the information from M-B Garmin site regarding updates:
"Use the Mercedes-Benz Download Manger to check whether you are eligible for free software and map updates. Click on the "Start Download Manager" button above.
Information about free software updates:
The Garmin® MAP PILOT navigation software is regularly updated and improved. Installing a software update will bring your navigation system up to date and ensure that you continue to enjoy optimum performance. This service is available free of charge. Make sure to check regularly that your navigation software is still up to date.
Information about free map updates:
Congratulations on choosing the Garmin® MAP PILOT! You may, however, have found that the pre-installed map material on your genuine Garmin® MAP PILOT SD card is not the latest version. If so, it's not a problem – if new map material becomes available within 60 days of your first using the system, you will be entitled to install it free of charge!
Information about paid updates:
If there is no free map material available, you can purchase it at your local dealer in the form of a Garmin® MAP PILOT Update SD card. Contact your local dealer for further details.
Here's how it works:
Insert your genuine Garmin® MAP PILOT SD card into your PC, start the Mercedes-Benz Download Manager and download the free offers".

Please be aware that some people had trouble getting the download completed after several hours, while others were able to do it less than 1 hour.

#21 ·
Just want to say that Garmin continues to suck big time. will check if I can update it again to latest version, but driving from/to London proved major faults:

1. route planning is horrible and inability to actually select how you want to go (3 different routes preview) is nonsense
2. route re-calculation time is horrible if you moving it's can take a few minutes at least.
3. if you driving for a few hours, quite often you get a message no navigation card present and then have to wait up to 10 minutes for it to recover.

#22 ·
I don't think it's much different to other car manufacturers tbh.

I went from an Audi A4 with HDD based system which was OK to an A6 with card based system which was pretty hopeless and like yours took an age to refresh and calculate.

My GLC has premium plus package and I'm perfectly happy with the sat nav even if I've never bothered to find out what powers it or which version.

#26 ·
didn't have that option at the time, hoping it will be just a software update. Idiot. :) so just using mobile satnav side by side and can see all the craziness :) but there is nothing else to do with a big screen in the car other than showing compass

#27 ·
I had my command updated in March to latest UK version and since occasionally it tells me to turn right but shows left on screen or to turn left but shows right on screen. What is on the screen is correct, anybody having the same issue.

#28 ·
Every time I have to use Garmin I just pissed off on how shitty it is. Not only we can't get latest maps, the software just awful. Not only super slow, but also entering addresses is just bad. Unless you have perfect pronunciation, it just can't search addresses in the current city, you have to select city first..... which is slow. no route preview and ability to quickly change route is just awful.

People who reading this and didn't buy yet, just avoid Garmin at all costs. either choose Car Play or Just pay extra for normal system.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.