GLC design flaw Air con puncture - Mercedes GLC Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Angry GLC design flaw Air con puncture

Just found out today that I need a new air conditioner radiator. It seems that my radiator was punctured by an exposed screw on the lower front fascia. That screw sits about an inch and a half from the bottom of the radiator and points right at it. The lower front fascia of the bumper is flexible and if you touch anything with it the fascia flexes inwards pushing the screw through the radiator. My bumper and fascia don't even have a scratch on them and to the best of my knowledge I have never run into anything. Because it's winter here I haven't used my air con for a few months and had no idea it's not working. Now they have told me it will be an expensive fix. What kind of design is it that leaves a sharp metal screw in that position? You can push the fascia with your hand and it will flex that screw right into the radiator. Terrible design. Any one else experienced this yet?

Last edited by marvanitis; 01-25-2018 at 06:51 PM.
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator

Not heard of it marvanitis, can you get it covered under warranty if it is a design fault.

Would help if you added your location to your profile, a lot of the queries on here are market specific.

2017 GLC AMG43 premium plus, night pack, leather, intel lights, 360 camera, side steps. = sadly gone

Now GLE450 Premium plus, Selenite, Black/White Nappa leather, Tech plus pack, Driving assistance pack, Tow pack, Off road pack, 22 inch wheels.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 03:25 PM

can you take a picture of where we are talking about?

2018 AMG 43 SUV black with tons of chrome

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 11:39 AM

Should be covered by factory warranty since it's a manufacturer cause problem and not because you jammed a nail there. Don't think I've heard of this happening to anyone else, though if this is a common nail placement, then other people may get a punctured radiator as well in due time.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 06:45 AM

I think I can see the screw in question but it's a good 2" in front of the rad so the car must have had a hard push on the front for it to connect . Car park dodgems? I might whip it out and grind it down a bit if I'm feeling bored one day, just in case !

Andrew

GLC AMG43 Hyacinth Red ,premium plus , leather, night pack, 360 camera , intelligent lights

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes GLC Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in