(How) do you like the cameras in your GLC? - Mercedes GLC Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 01:49 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
(How) do you like the cameras in your GLC?

I have a 2013 Q5, and it's time to change. I'm thinking of going with a Mercedes GLC (partly so I never have to darken the service doors of my crappy Audi dealership ever again).

My one "ask" for my new car, which will likely be a loaded end of 2019 model (good deals to be had since the GLC 2020 refresh), is a top-down/bird's eye view camera.

But I think I prefer the interface of the cameras in the Q5s (oh no! not more of the awful service department, I'm miles and miles of traffic away from an alternative). When I test drove the GLC the sales guy said you cannot look down on car, as if from above (you can do that on the Q5). Is this right? (Sales guy was nice but brand new on the job).

Has anyone got any comments about their camera systems (or any knowledge of how they prefer them compared to the ones in the GLC's?( Google doesn't provide much.

Thanks! I've had a great time on the Audi forum and this one looks to be equally helpful.
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 04:17 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum Yaromac, can you please fill in your location in your profile so we know where you are from as some answers are market specific.

The 360 degree camera in the GLC is very good, try and see one in the dealers to assess whether you would be happy with it. The 360 camera is the same on all merc models so if the dealer has another model in with the 360 try that.

2017 GLC AMG43 premium plus, night pack, leather, intel lights, 360 camera, side steps. = sadly gone

Now GLE450 Premium plus, Selenite, Black/White Nappa leather, Tech plus pack, Driving assistance pack, Tow pack, Off road pack, 22 inch wheels.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:45 AM

Garage
The top down/bird's eye view (also known as drone view) is exactly what you get if the model you seek has been optioned with the 360 degree camera. It is not available as a retrofit, it has to be installed on the production line. Cameras are added to the underside of the wing mirrors and the image from these, along with the images from the front and rear cameras are displayed on the screen as a composite to give you the impression of an all-round view from above. The colour of the graphic of the car on the screen will be an approximation the its actual colour.

Just once I want someone to call me "Sir" without adding "you're making a scene."

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 03:53 PM

Exactly what Toobad said, I love the 360 cameras on mine

GLC 250d AMG-line. Obsidian black, night pack. 20" wheels, premium plus, 360 cameras, Park pilot, intelligent lights, electric towbar. running boards. mudflaps
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Today, 08:32 AM

The top down view is certainly an asset that helps parking quite a sizable vehicel.
It's also very good at warning of dog/cat/ kids in the way

However, I've had the "ultimate edition" GLC 200 for 4 weeks now as a dialy drive and while the top down camera view is great, there are 'software limitations', me being the soft part. When there is a pole or post close it can be harder than you expect to learn to visually register it. It's not a tech issue its a brain issue, the poles 'shrink' as you reverse past them into the parking spot. I think its a side effect of the whole top down picture looking so nice that my brain minimises the obstruction. It's an interesting challenge to balance hte inputs as the beeping and visual input are a little disjointed, the front and rear proximity beep and visual "bar" are great but a pole mid vehicle only registers on the camera.

My other ride is a VW Scirocco with limited vision but much lower and smaller so I really appreciate the Mercedes top down camera interface, Just take care of those concrete bollards!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes GLC Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in