The FREE all-season tyre swop. - Page 16 - Mercedes GLC Forum
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #151 of 176 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 04:57 PM

Fitted a spare wheel to mine so will not be going down the run flat direction as all cars run better on non runflats
post #152 of 176 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil_t View Post
I read somewhere that at one time Merc were fitting run-flats on new GLC's but stopped due to the crabbing problem?

Probably too early to ask this, but if the steering knuckle fix is successful, are run-flats a good idea? Cars without a spare wheel just don't seem right.
As far as I am aware run flats weren't fitted in the UK.

2017 GLC AMG43 premium plus, night pack, leather, intel lights, 360 camera, side steps. = sadly gone

Now GLE450 Premium plus, Selenite, Black/White Nappa leather, Tech plus pack, Driving assistance pack, Tow pack, Off road pack, 22 inch wheels.
post #153 of 176 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 01:19 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philamg View Post
Runflats are fitted to mine (350d MY18)

Mercedes GLC350d AMG Line Premium Plus, Running Boards, 20" Alloys and a few tasteful modifications

post #154 of 176 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philamg View Post
Our 2017 250d AMG Line on 20" wheels was originally supplied on Summer Run Flats. These resulted in awful crabbing and rapid wear on the outer edges on the front tyres, that were completely worn and illegal after only 12,500 miles.

MB then supplied replacement 4 x All Season Run Flats in an attempt to fix the crabbing fault. These tyres have certainly reduced the fault, but not completely. Having now driven a further 12,500 miles on these replacement AS tyres, they are wearing much better and still have approx 6mm / 1/4" tread remaining.

The car has recently been fitted with the new steering arm and knuckles, and does feel like the crabbing has been eliminated. Waiting for the winter weather to return before giving a final verdict.

T Mac

Last edited by Tony Mac; 02-16-2019 at 06:14 PM.
post #155 of 176 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 12:46 PM

Thanks Tony. I have a 250d AMG on 19". What brand are your all-season run-flats please? Once I get the new knuckles fitted i may head in that direction.
post #156 of 176 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 05:38 PM

Garage
Is this steering arm and knuckle fix under a warranty recall or do you have to request it?

Mercedes GLC350d AMG Line Premium Plus, Running Boards, 20" Alloys and a few tasteful modifications
post #157 of 176 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 06:06 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makefish View Post
Is this steering arm and knuckle fix under a warranty recall or do you have to request it?
Not a recall, tell your dealer you have the crabbing issue and they should know about it, beware some dealers are saying they don't.
Makefish likes this.

2017 GLC AMG43 premium plus, night pack, leather, intel lights, 360 camera, side steps. = sadly gone

Now GLE450 Premium plus, Selenite, Black/White Nappa leather, Tech plus pack, Driving assistance pack, Tow pack, Off road pack, 22 inch wheels.
post #158 of 176 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 05:33 AM

My car is booked in for the new Knuckles steering fix in a couple of weeks. We will see if it works on summer tyres. Will update.

Mart.
Makefish likes this.
post #159 of 176 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 07:08 PM

[QUOTE=Mart1;55356]My car is booked in for the new Knuckles steering fix in a couple of weeks. We will see if it works on summer tyres. Will update.

Hi Mart, I’ve just joined as I’ve just bought a new amg line 220 with 19” wheels. Mine was built October 18 and just registered with summer tyres supplied. I new about crabbing before I bought it. I’d be interested in hearing if newer vehicles will still need this fix, and when roughly it starts to appear. Any info appreciated. Phil
post #160 of 176 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 07:14 PM
Super Moderator

Mercedes haven't informed as to whether cars being built now have had the fix done, some people have the problem from day 1, I did. Your car certainly won't have had the fix done.

Can you please fill in your location in your profile, as some responses are market specific.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes GLC Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in