Tony, here is the full letter they sent to the dealers as I haven't posted it for a while. Obviously superceded by knuckle fix but will let new members know how long this went on. You are correct, I couldn't live with the fault, even though they gave me new wheels with winter tyres (as far as I aware nobody else has got this) I didn't want the hassle of changing wheels twice a year, not in the UK climate.
24 February 2017
For the attention of Market Area Directors, Sales Directors, After Sales Directors, General Managers, Sales Managers, After Sales Managers, CSU Managers
Further to our interim update last week, we are now able to provide a more detailed technical explanation regarding this issue.
Due to the positioning of the front axle differential on right hand drive cars, the steering position differs very slightly compared to left hand drive models. When the steering is on full lock this steering angle difference can result in the front tyre skipping sensation. This is more pronounced during cold weather and when larger wheels and low profile tyres are fitted.
We can assure you that our technical specialists, as well as independent experts such as DEKRA, concur that the cars remain completely safe to drive.
Fitment of All Season tyres counteracts the sensation. We are therefore securing sufficient stocks of these to provide to customers who find this uncomfortable.
· Mercedes-Benz Cars UK will contact GLC customers who have already registered a Compass complaint:
• Customers with 17”, 18”, 19” and 20” tyres will be offered a set of All Season tyres (once available) and fitment free of charge
• For GLC 43 AMG customers who have cars with 21” tyres, a 21” All Season tyre is not currently available. We will offer these customers the option of taking 20” wheels and All Season tyres, or waiting for 21” All Season tyre availability
· We would ask you to please do the same for GLC customer complaints that you have received and managed locally or for any future GLC complaints about this issue until further notice
· Please also take the following action for customers who have ordered their car but have yet to take delivery, and for future customers of existing dealer and pipeline stock until further notice:
• Please make sure they are aware of this characteristic.
• Customers proceeding with delivery have the option to take All Season tyres as soon as they are available or to wait and change to them if/when they experience this sensation in Winter 2017/18.
• For customers who do not wish to take delivery of their GLC with summer tyres, please offer a courtesy car until the All Season tyres are available for their car.
For all the cases above concerning provision and fitment of All Season tyres, please submit a goodwill claim against damage code 2113800.
We will provide updates concerning any interaction we have with your customers, together with availability of the aftermarket All Season tyres and the logistics process involved.
David George Sally Jones
Sales Director Customer Services Director
Mercedes-Benz Cars Mercedes-Benz Cars
Customer Services MBuk
The odd thing was that they couldn't provide all weather tyres for 19 and 20 inch wheels but did provide a BMW sourced tyre for 21 inch wheels, they obviously didn't do their homework before sending the mail.
I have 22 inch wheels on my GLE and no sign at all of crabbing.
2017 GLC AMG43 premium plus, night pack, leather, intel lights, 360 camera, side steps. = sadly gone
Now GLE450 Premium plus, Selenite, Black/White Nappa leather, Tech plus pack, Driving assistance pack, Tow pack, Off road pack, 22 inch wheels.
Last edited by Philamg; 11-04-2019 at 06:53 PM.