Mercedes GLC Forum banner

Steering Knuckle Anti-clonk Fix

170K views 355 replies 85 participants last post by  scamillo 
#1 · (Edited)
EDIT - Scroll to Post #54 from 19th April 2019 for full details of the UK Final Solution

Apologies if I've dragged you here expecting to find details of the fix. I just thought the subject deserved its own thread so all pertinent information can be compiled in one place. I see @Fraser Betts and @Learoy are already booked in for the modification on 3rd and 12th March respectively so hopefully they will report back here in due course. What I'm hoping for are the part numbers of the replacement components simply because the various MB franchises have varying levels of ignorance regarding the whole tyre skipping "characteristic" and quoting relevant part numbers ensures everybody is singing from the same hymn sheet.

So people, please feel free to post all your Knuckle Fix discussions here rather than in the original massive Clonking thread or the Free Tyre Swop thread.

And congratulations to all the lucky 19-Platers who will be intoxicated by that "new car smell" tomorrow :grin2:

Trev.

#2 ·
Thanks for starting new thread Toobad, normally when work is carried out under warranty the part numbers are not given to you.
If any owner has problems with their dealers pleading ignorance about the fix, just call customer services who I have found are good at educating the dealers. Dealers spent months pleading ignorance regarding tyre skipping when it was general knowledge.

#3 ·
I took my GLC250 in to MB Brooklands today for it’s steering modifications. When I booked it in they allowed 2 days to do it. However, talking to the service manager, he said it had proven to be 6 hours work on the 4 cars they had previously done. It would have been completed today had it not been for the various one use only bits which seem to be different for different builds, let alone variants. Although there are 2 main components I am told that to do the job there are nearly fifty nuts, bolts, washers, split pins, and bushes etc needed. MB are reluctant to give part numbers as afraid of liability as there may be some differences between RHD markets - at least that was what they said. I will hopefully be able to report back tomorrow.

Reactions: Toobad
#4 ·
Update on steering modification[/B][/U][/U] - Work completed. Only time and colder weather will test the fix completely, but I must say cornering seems much better and more precise like the C Class courtesy car I was loaned and less SUV like. This may be due to the fact that tracking would have had to be reset after installation of new components. I will be monitoring tyre wear closely.

#6 ·
Took mine in on Monday for assessment, vehicle came out fitted with 4 new vredestein quatrac 5 all season tyres. Service chap said the steering upgrade had only just come out and it would be several months before they could get the parts but there was no time issue? I was told to see how I go on with the tyres and if I experienced any further issues to take the vehicle back and they would order the necessary parts. Well so far I have noticed very little in the way of crabbing /clonking compared to when the pirelli verde tyres were fitted but the weather is slightly warmer.

#7 ·
strange my parts took less than 2 weeks to come.i wonder if the parts they are fitting were made for the facelift version so it doesn't have the same problem as ours and the part are in more of a demand ready for the facelift.my dealer said when ordering the parts that they would quote the car is unroadworthy to get the parts ordered quicker.

#9 ·
All they have done is masked the problem and as the tyres wear and weather becomes colder it will reappear, tell them to order the parts. MB put a time/mileage limit on fitting the all weather tyres and I would imagine will do the same on the knuckles.

Reactions: Tony Mac
#11 ·
Hopefully your dealer is correct Mart, seems illogical that dealer fitted all weathers to Ste01's car instead of the actual "fix" that is available, all dealers should be singing off same hymn sheet.

#13 ·
Too recently introduced to be certain but certainly more of a fix than all weather tyres.

#14 ·
Steering mod done

Quote:
Originally Posted in all season tyre thread:
"Interestingly, went to my local dealer to ask about the steering knuckle replacement. My GLC had the all weather tyres fitted in October 2017 (Mitchelin cross climate) and now 15K miles later the crabbing is back and the front tyres have a very worn band on the outside of both front tyres. The tracking has been checked as fine and the dealer response is that there is no such thing as a steering knuckle fix??"

"After the dealer claim of there being no such thing as a Steering Knuckle fix I went direct to Mercedes Customer Service. Very helpful lady confirmed the fix was available and the parts are now on order and will be fitted under warranty as soon as they arrive."
Two weeks later parts arrived and fitted last Friday. I'm happy to confirm crabbing has gone - It even feels better around bends (but that could be my imagination!!)

Dave:smile2:

#15 ·
Just picked mine up after having the new steering knuckles fitted and must say the steering definitely feels more positive than before. The car now turns in at speed and slow in full lock with no understeer(done 50 miles now on wet roads and 5c).mine is fitted with 20inch wheels and summer tyres.it now drives as it should of done from new.anyone who had the Tyre scrubbing/suspension klonk and have had free all season tires fitted I would recommend you all have this fix done(not a mask of the problem) just in case they have a milage and age limit on this fix like they do on the Tyre replacement.
On a side note the c class coupe 300 amgline petrol I had as a loan car the front tyres skipped turning on and off my drive in full lock.

#16 ·
How did you go about getting this done? Are all dealerships aware of the problem and will they acknowledge it as a warranty fix or is this going to be a recall fix?

#17 ·
Just complain to your dealer about your problem of crabing/clonking in full lock and you know there is a steering knuckle warranty fix.they should know about it and book you in for a quick check order the parts and book you in again when the parts arrive.if they say there isn't a fix ring Mercedes complaints direct

#23 ·
Weren't the part numbers posted by Billy at 21-30 yesterday.

#30 ·
To be honest mate sounds like just a fob off,punching some numbers in a computer and then saying “computer says no “ cough (little Britain quote :smile2:) isn’t really good enough from the Main Stealer without doing some homework.(it’s quite obvious that some of the dealers now are bringing the car in for the fix .
Not knowing what you did discussed with them ,I’d go back and ask to speak with the workshop manager and be armed with the info from this forum (can’t express how useful theses forums are for info keep it coming guys :smile2:)
I’d tell him how disappointed you are from the service and not what you expected when purchasing a premium brand motor vehicle ,then tell them if they can’t be bothered to find out any more info on the fix your take this to MBUk customer care dpt (complaints)
It’s such a pity that there’s so many awful MB main dealerships compared to quality ones ...

#29 ·
Speak to customer services to see if they can help.

#31 ·
New glc owner

I just bought a GLC 220 d 2016 amg line premium plus night Ed with ILS, DRiving pack, lane assist, steering assist, burmester, 360 , air ride , etc.. 15k on the clock. Either there’s something wrong with my hearing or senses or the car slippage isn’t as bad as some of the videos and horror stories that I have to see on this forum and social media platforms. I’m on 20 inch vredstein tyres at the omen and did a 300 mile drive yesterday and the car is a dream to drive. Am I the exception .? Has my car been in for the fix or modification, I still have 6 weeks left on the manufacturers waranty can I claim ? Or get the new knuckles or modifications fixed? Or even new tyres?

Thanks in advance for any help

Attachments

#32 ·
The problem isn't apparent while driving, only on full lock at low speed, mainly in cold weather. It would be very odd if your car didn't have the problem if you have summer tyres fitted, less noticeable with all weathers. Steering knuckle fix has only just come out, doubt if yours has been done. If you have the issue you should be eligible for the fix if under warranty.

#34 ·
Thank you, , I did notice it on low speed on a roundabout, I have booked in with Mercedes on 17th along with my 1st MOT, do i insist on a Steering Knuckle Fix? I have till 15th May till warranty runs out, how does it work please? If I highlighted the problem to them before the warranty runs out and will they agree to fix it after ?

Kind regards any advice would be useful.

#35 ·
Call customer services and register the fault with them, not normally noticeable on a roundabout . try going forward and backwards very slowly with the car on full lock.