Running Boards - Mercedes GLC Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Unread 11-19-2019, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Running Boards

Hello im in the UK and have just ordered the new GLC 300 AMG Line - i wnated the running boards but they only came with an expensive Premium Pack so i was wondering if anyone knew where i could get the running boards separate so i can fit them?
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Unread 11-20-2019, 04:08 AM

Garage
Hi Chris, congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the forum. As you are in the UK, I'd steer you towards Direct 4x4 for your after-market accessories at more sensible prices than OEM.

Have a look here: Running Boards for GLC 2016 onwards

Just once I want someone to call me "Sir" without adding "you're making a scene."
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Unread 02-12-2020, 01:09 PM

I bought the 'Chameleon' brand ones from ebay. They are a perfect fit and of very high quality.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9058.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	198.3 KB
ID:	3032  

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 05:00 AM

Are you adamant about getting them? I only ask because they are a bit of a pain the @rse. The car isn't high enough to use them as a step, and when getting out of the car it is almost impossible to do so without rubbing your calf down them. This may be ok in the summer but after a rainy winter drive you always end up with a wet trouser leg.
They look good though, but if I could chose again I wouldn't have them.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 08:09 AM

What Darren said. I test drove cars with them and they were horrible. Ordered mine without and it's so much better.

2020 GLC 300 | Launch Edition with Comfort Pack and Delete Sidesteps
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 12:38 PM

It's a Marmite type subject, personally I like them and as I've said previously have not ( so far ) managed to get mud on my trousers from the running boards, that's over a period of 27 months and 14000 miles through one of the wettest years I can remember.

Additionally, my wife has had both hips replaced and a serious heel operation in the last 5 years and would find it difficult to get into my car if she didn't stand on the step, she does only have size 4 shoes though.

What I like most about them however is that in conjunction with front and rear mudflaps the volume of much thrown up on to the bodywork is vastly reduced compared to a car without. I have made a direct comparison over identical route as a mate had a GLC without either and we drove the same route to a golf venue.

Like everything, just my personal opinion, we're all different.

Bob

GLC 250d AMG-line. Obsidian black, night pack. 20" wheels, premium plus, 360 cameras, Park pilot, intelligent lights, electric towbar. running boards. mudflaps
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONS View Post
It's a Marmite type subject, personally I like them and as I've said previously have not ( so far ) managed to get mud on my trousers from the running boards, that's over a period of 27 months and 14000 miles through one of the wettest years I can remember.

Additionally, my wife has had both hips replaced and a serious heel operation in the last 5 years and would find it difficult to get into my car if she didn't stand on the step, she does only have size 4 shoes though.

What I like most about them however is that in conjunction with front and rear mudflaps the volume of much thrown up on to the bodywork is vastly reduced compared to a car without. I have made a direct comparison over identical route as a mate had a GLC without either and we drove the same route to a golf venue.

Like everything, just my personal opinion, we're all different.

Bob
That's a good point. MY GLC stays much cleaner than other cars I have owned. I must try and perfect getting out without getting a wet leg ha ha
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator

If you like look of them get them, correct regarding helping keep car clean.

2017 GLC AMG43 premium plus, night pack, leather, intel lights, 360 camera, side steps. = sadly gone

Now GLE450 Premium plus, Selenite, Black/White Nappa leather, Tech plus pack, Driving assistance pack, Tow pack, Off road pack, 22 inch wheels.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Unread Today, 05:21 AM

I find that the car stays cleaner since I fitted mudflaps, fancied the side steps but was put off by dealer comments and the fact that it would have made the car eligible for premium car tax 🤔
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Unread Today, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubax View Post
I find that the car stays cleaner since I fitted mudflaps, fancied the side steps but was put off by dealer comments and the fact that it would have made the car eligible for premium car tax 🤔
That would have made them very expensive running boards! I got them fitted as part of the deal as I was over the tax threshold anyway.

You can retrofit and as said earlier they're significantly cheaper from Direct 4 x 4 and are pretty simple to fit. You probably would have an issue with your existing mudflaps however and would need to modify them slightly to accommodate the ends of the running boards. There are different flap versions available for cars with or without boards.

GLC 250d AMG-line. Obsidian black, night pack. 20" wheels, premium plus, 360 cameras, Park pilot, intelligent lights, electric towbar. running boards. mudflaps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes GLC Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in