Mercedes GLC Forum

Mercedes GLC Forum (https://www.glcforums.com/forum/)
-   GLC Issues & Problems (https://www.glcforums.com/forum/322-glc-issues-problems/)
-   -   Mercedes GLC Clonking and juddering on near full steering lock (https://www.glcforums.com/forum/322-glc-issues-problems/3345-mercedes-glc-clonking-juddering-near-full-steering-lock.html)

Design4p 12-17-2016 06:31 AM

Mercedes GLC Clonking and juddering on near full steering lock

I have had this problem since new but now the weather is cold and damp or wet the problem is much worse. I have viewed other owners concerns about this phenomena and would like to document my experience.

The car has been with the Mercedes dealership and they have coated the drive shafts with a lubricant to hopefully reduce or remove the problem.

The service manager told me that the clonking noise is from the tyres and another manager told me the car is trying to drive straight ahead (whilst in a turn) and it is the scrubbing of the tyre on the road which is causing the noise and the judder.

The service manager told me the car is safe to drive. However, I'm not so sure.

If I need to turn sharply to avoid a collision I do want the car to turn and avoid the object rather than juddering towards the object.

My wife has said that she would not drive the car until the clonking and juddering was eliminated as it does feel and sound bad when it occurs.

Over the next few days I will check if the lubrication coating has any effect on solving the problem.

I would like to hear the latest situation with regard to all those owners who have the same problem. I.e. is there really a fix or is it a inherent design fault.

John

eastwinger 12-17-2016 10:54 AM

This may be something called 'Crabbing' and is a known issue on all GLC and other MB AWD models. MB need to come up with a fix for it, but my dealer tells me it's not a safety problem. It is more noticeable in in wet conditions and the AWD tries to get grip. I have told MB customer service about the issue, so they do know about it.

Tony Mac 12-17-2016 11:06 AM

GLC wheel judder and clonking

Hello John,

My dealer has told me its a tyre problem and we need to fit winter tyres at 300+ each - even though in my opinion winter has not really arrived here in the UK. MB are saying the car is safe and they recommend winter tyres when the temperature drops below 7 degrees. The weather here in the Midlands is pretty mild at the moment 10+ degrees, yet the car makes an awful noise, judders, skips and lurches when turning - not necessarily with full-lock. It is very disconcerting and embarrassing, not the luxury driving experience I had expected when buying a top of the range MB GLC

The car looks great, is very comfortable with a luxurious interior and drives well, but annoyingly bad at slow speed turns - very disappointed :crying:

Reluctant to buy expensive winter tyres until I'm 100% sure they will resolve the problem.

Has anyone fitted winter tyres or found an alternative fix?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Design4p (Post 20553)

I have had this problem since new but now the weather is cold and damp or wet the problem is much worse. I have viewed other owners concerns about this phenomena and would like to document my experience.

The car has been with the Mercedes dealership and they have coated the drive shafts with a lubricant to hopefully reduce or remove the problem.

The service manager told me that the clonking noise is from the tyres and another manager told me the car is trying to drive straight ahead (whilst in a turn) and it is the scrubbing of the tyre on the road which is causing the noise and the judder.

If I need to turn sharply to avoid a collision I do want the car to turn and avoid the object rather than juddering towards the object.

My wife has said that she would not drive the car until the clonking and juddering was eliminated as it does feel and sound bad when it occurs.

Over the next few days I will check if the lubrication coating has any effect on solving the problem.

I would like to hear the latest situation with regard to all those owners who have the same problem. I.e. is there really a fix or is it a inherent design fault.

John

eastwinger 12-17-2016 01:36 PM

I would ask the dealer to prove it at his cost before spending any money because this problem happens at 18c too. However, it could be down to the make of tire.

MercedesTheBest 12-17-2016 05:11 PM

it seems to happen in my parking garage at work, though only when the tires are wet/snowy or if the ground is wet/snowy. cant say ive had this happen in any of my other cars though, so i cant say i know what it is. its very odd.

Alfie 12-18-2016 04:08 AM

Hi all
With regards to the clonking I think it's best described as crabbing.
I've Had this problem on my vito sport and on a porche booster as yet no problem with my glc 250d sport with 18 wheels and hancock tyres.
I knew of this problem before I ordered the car As I have quite a few friends in the moter trade it's considered as a trait of the car not a fault it happens on the c class estate ml ect but not on all cars so it could be a set up problem in the factory or driving style as I've had the problem on other cars to me it doesn't seem much of a problem but on the other hand
To pay top money for for top car it should not happen.
As for M/B dealerships once you you have paid for the car they just seem to shift the blame to say you should fit winter tyres
Is rubbish if that the case the car should be supplied with summer tyres and winter or option as to what country you are in.
But after all that I would still pick the glc again
The above is just my option.

Thanks all Alfie

GLC43AMG 12-29-2016 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Design4p (Post 20553)

John

Hi Everyone, I have exactly the same problem as described above.

I took delivery of a GLC 43 AMG in November and the car has been back to the dealer twice, and I have complained to Mercedes.

Mercedes have now come back and said that the only solution is winter wheels, as this isn't a performance or safety issue.

Problem is that I have the optional 21" wheels on the car and there are no winter tyre options available. So it's a complete set of wheels that are needed at a cost of 3000.

That isn't right in my opinion, how can mercedes be allowed to do this to customers?

I would also appreciate any updates from any other owners on their problems with this issue with full lock.

Klass 12-29-2016 04:23 PM

Has anyone taken this up with a head office of some sort opposed to a dealership? They may be able to provide some more insight or aid once you tell them that you're dissatisfied and find it ridiculous that you have to spend 3000 on a set of wheels just to get rid of this stupid crabbing.

Tony Mac 12-30-2016 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GLC43AMG (Post 20746)
Hi Everyone, I have exactly the same problem as described above.

I took delivery of a GLC 43 AMG in November and the car has been back to the dealer twice, and I have complained to Mercedes.

Mercedes have now come back and said that the only solution is winter wheels, as this isn't a performance or safety issue.

Problem is that I have the optional 21" wheels on the car and there are no winter tyre options available. So it's a complete set of wheels that are needed at a cost of 3000.

That isn't right in my opinion, how can mercedes be allowed to do this to customers?

I would also appreciate any updates from any other owners on their problems with this issue with full lock.

It is astonishing that MB can get away with saying the cars are safe and we need to fit winter tyres to fix a fault that feels like driving with square wheels. MB customers pay a premium for a high quality drive, that simply isn't true with the GLC.

Something is seriously wrong and the car is 'Not fit for purpose' - not sure if it's steering geometry / engineering issue or failing tyres. But as other GLC owners are seeing the problem on different tyre types and wheel sizes, I would say it's a steering geometry design fault.

I haven't found anyone who has fitted winter tyres and confirmed whether this does actually resolve the problem.

Winter tyres for my 20" wheels will cost close to 2,000 - cannot find run flat options so also have to get a compressor & gel

We took friends out for a meal last night and they were shocked at the noise, juddering and lurching in the GLC - the car looks great but is truly embarrassing when parking and driving with even slight wheel turn.

What a shambles - not a happy customer :mad:

eastwinger 12-30-2016 07:17 AM

Under the sales of goods act, you can always reject the car and give it back to MB.