Mercedes GLC Forum banner

The FREE all-season tyre swop.

94K views 183 replies 34 participants last post by  Waj 
#1 ·
With the first cold snap of autumn forecast for later this month, I was wondering if anybody here has now pulled the trigger and booked their car in to have it shod with free all-season tyres?

For the uninitiated, the offer came about in February when Mercedes UK finally buckled under the wave of adverse publicity regarding a design fault which caused the front tyres of RHD models to skip sideways when manoeuvring at or near full steering lock. Dealers were instructed to replace the OEM summer tyres with all-season variants for any customer who had complained. A goodwill claim against Damage Code 2113800 would be submitted by the Dealer to MB UK. The offer could be taken immediately or deferred until as late as this coming winter.

I had the OEM Hankooks on my 18" wheels swopped for Michelin Latitudes back in the summer but I was wondering about the availability of all-season tyres for 19" and 20" wheels as I've only heard of a suitable tyre having been sourced for the 21" wheel so far. Please post here if you've managed to get free new tyres on your 19" or 20" rims and let us know what make they are. Conversely, if you have run into problems getting your dealer to honour the offer, I'm sure we'd all like to hear about that too.

Reactions: Gallacpt
#2 ·
I did it a few month back when I joined this forum and read about the issue. to be honest I regret it. I actually did like Pirelli and they were RFT. Dealer swapped to Verdenstein 20inch all season not RFT. It took 2 weeks to get replacement. So was quick job. I had to contact support for them to even send me a sealant tire kit for free. But they only sent it for 1 tire. Now, I don't really think if it will make any difference in reality, but if I have 2 punctures I am screwed. Luckily of course we all have free recovery by MB, so as long as I have mobile signal I should be fine.

#3 ·
Verdenstein is a very highly rated tyre manufacturer, especially on the continent and it is good to see these are being offered as the replacement option for 20" rims. In the greater scheme of things I guess RFTs would give greater peace of mind but this would certainly come at a premium bearing in mind the cost of replacement RFTs when paying out of your own pocket. Good to see you did your due diligence and pushed for replacement tyres. I have to wonder how many fair weather purchasers are still oblivious to the RHD GLC design fault and will only become aware of it in the coming weeks when their OEM tyres can no longer retain the required flexibility in the colder temperatures to mask the tyre skipping trait. At the time of organising my swop back in June, the default response of the first tier Customer Services at MB UK was still to deny a problem exists and maintain what owners are experiencing is a non-safety related "characteristic" of the RHD model.

Here's a permalink to the post I made in the "Clonking" thread regarding my own swop experience. It also contains a further ink to the official internal MB memo appraising Dealers of the problem and outlining the required course of action:

Toobad's tyre swop experience

Do post here if you are meeting resistance in getting your tyres changed, your experience may well benefit others in their negotiations.

#4 ·
After 7 months of trying to sort this out have finally agreed a way forward with AMG customer services.
I have 19 inch wheels on my glc43 (standard in UK), MB are unable to source 19 or 20 inch all weather tyres for the 43, they can source 21 inch.

After a lot of discussion and phone calls I was given the choice of getting a set of 21 inch wheels and tyres at 50% of the cost or fitting 19 inch winter tyres.

I have opted for the winter tyres and my dealer has agreed to supply and fit them and store my summer tyres free of charge.

Thought I would post this in case anybody is in the same position.

#5 · (Edited)
Wow, having made the announcement back in February it smacks of weapons grade incompetence that MB UK have been unable to nail down approved all-season tyres to swop to for all the rim sizes available. It's almost as if the Dealers are being left to source tyres on a per customer basis. Romk1n was able to get Vredestein tyres which I assume was the Quadrac 5 for his 20s but it may be this was negotiated in isolation and probably those tyres are more widely available as he doesn't have a 43 with the wider rear rubber. It sounds like people with 21s are sorted with Continental ContiSports although they seem to be Star-rated for BMWs rather than MO-rated for Mercedes.

Phil, is there an ongoing arrangement to refit your summer tyres for free next year? I bet there would be little change out of £100 for this as a chargeable service. I can see MB UK being thrown into more chaos (if that is even possible) when the cold snap predicted for the end of the month arrives and the whole world and his wife is clambering for an urgent tyre swop.

#6 ·
Toobad

I am going on the understanding that swapping back and forth won't cost me anything, will let you know when I get them changed, if there is any cost it won't be happening and I will be going to the motoring ombudsman.

You are correct regarding the incompetence, the original mail from MB said they only had issues sourcing 21 inch all weathers for the 43, they are the only ones they have been able to source 8 months on.

#7 ·
@Philamg - At least you now have excellent peace of mind for the coming winter. Apart from masking the potential tyre skip, full blown winter tyres outperform all-season tyres by a country mile when it comes to accelerating, braking and turning on slippery surfaces.It's no wonder they are compulsory fitment in some countries during the cold weather. This video shows the comparison:

Non-studded winter tyres vs. All-season tyres vs. Summer tyres

I wonder how much rim damage will accumulate from the constant swopping. Although the Dealers use equipment that is supposed to be non-touch, I found a fine scratch line had been created in the lacquer all the way around the rims about half an inch from the outer perimeter. I guess this was left by the guide foot where its protection was either missing or worn away. It may be worth getting something in writing from your Dealer which commits them to a free annual tyre swop since over a period of time personnel and rulings can change and you don't want a battle on your hands every autumn.

#8 ·
Will be doing this Toobad and will insist on check of wheel conditions (unmarked) before and after, they will have to swap the tyres in October and March until I change the car, could be an interesting conversation.

#9 ·
Beware rim damage

Anybody booking in for the tyre swop would do well to take this picture along with them. It will help the Dealer to understand what you consider unacceptable rim damage when they put your wheel on their tyre machine. When they give you a loan car they always draw your attention to the condition of the wheels prior to handover and then check them again when you return. There is no reason why they shouldn't abide by the same rules when the boot is on the other foot. I naively didn't check my rims before leaving the premises and only discovered the damage when I next washed Red Ken so I had no recourse. Luckily the scratching hasn't gone through the lacquer on any of the rims so I will remove it the next time I get my machine polisher out.

#11 ·
Re: 19" all season tyres , I can't understand the problem as a quick search online reveals plenty of Michelin , Goodyear or Pirrelli all season tyres suitable for the standard rims on a 43 so what is the problem ?

#12 ·
@AndrewB - I think the problem stems from the fact owners of the 43 model would want all 4 tyres replaced and not just the fronts. The standard front tyres are 235/55R19 and, as you have found, are widely available in the all-season variant. But 43 runs a wider rear tyre so if you have found a supplier who also does an all-season tyre in 255/50R19, be sure to post the full details back here. I'm not 100% sure if those sizes are correct as I only have a lowly 220d Sport on 18s but I'm sure a 43 owner will put me straight if necessary.

#13 ·
Hi Toobad alltyres365.co.uk list pirelli scorpions all season in both sizes for the standard 19" rims on the 43 and I think they are both MO so I cannot understand why a huge concern like Mercedes can't get hold of a few. It's ridiculous!

#14 ·
The only all season tyre 365 have in 255/50 r19 has a speed rating of H (130mph) , the tyres on my car have a speed rating of Y (186mph), maybe that's the problem.

#15 · (Edited)
I hadn't realised that so I guess you're right and that's probably why I can't have my car as it's on 19" rims but why they can't tell you that is beyond me. By the way I can't find any winter tyres with a Y rating either!

#16 ·
Agree Andrew, at least if they were open and told you it would help.

I have waited 2 days for a reply from MB directors regarding the issue, they haven't even acknowledged my email. If I don't hear anything by Friday I will be contacting the motoring ombudsman.

#17 ·
No response (not even an acknowledgement) from the mail I sent to MB directors, form now filled in for posting to the UK motoring ombudsman to see if they can sort something out.

#18 ·
Good morning all

Just joined so new to the site.

I have had the GLC since Feb 2016 and not had any issues, went for a service yesterday and they were commenting on my tyres and worn rear brake pads but that is another issue. Read about the tyres when looking for info on the brakes, and called the dealership this morning to complain as I have had to put a new front tyre on at 10,000 miles due to wear on the outer edge of the nearside tyre. Put through to Customer Services who knew nothing, waiting for a call back to book the car in so a technician can inspect and advise.

Will keep you posted on how I get on.

#19 ·
@Md_28 - Hi and welcome to the forum. Stick your rough location and model specs in your profile so weall know a bit more about you.

As you are having a service now after owning your GLC for 18 months, would I be right in assuming you bought it perhaps when it was already 6 months old? I'm surprised your rear pads are already worn down as they do little beyond securing the parking brake. Perhaps they have been out of adjustment and dragging on the disc. I would expect the most significant wear to be on your front pads.

What tyre and rim combination do you have? As you have probably already discovered, the lower the tyre profile, the more the propensity to skip at or near full steering lock. The fact that you have only had to replace the nearside front tyre due to wear on the outer edge suggests that the tracking is out on that side maybe due to hitting a kerb too hard or driving through a deep pothole. Mercedes can do a very accurate alignment check and adjustment using Hunter Hawkeye equipment but will charge you £99 for the privilege.

You may well find Customer Services will firstly try to fob you off by dismissing your request for all-season tyres on the grounds that the skipping phenomenon is simply a comfort issue with no safety ramifications so you would do well to acquaint yourself with the content of my Posts #1 and #3 in this thread so you are suitably armed. We look forward to your feedback.

#20 ·
@ Philamg - Since your 43 was a March 2017 car, I guess the Mercedes UK climbdown memo of February was drafted to appease buyers like yourself. Although you chose the deferred fitment option, I have to wonder about buyers who went down the other road, namely:

"For customers who do not wish to take delivery of their GLC with summer tyres, please offer a courtesy car until the All Season tyres are available for their car."

So theoretically there could be some GLC43 buyers out there still riding around in courtesy cars waiting for Mercedes to source these mythological 255/50R19 Y-rated rear tyres. That's a whole 8 months of free motoring! I'm tempted to suggest MB UK make enquiries as to availability at the Narnia branch of Kwik-Fit :rolleyes: It was -2.4C here last Saturday morning and I'm pleased to say there was no evidence of tyre skip from the Michelin Latitudes on Red Ken. With the usual "worst winter in 100 years" predictions now starting to appear in the tabloids as they try to boost circulation figures, let's hope it also motivates Mercedes to meet their commitments to avoid another round of seasonal tyre skipping complaints. I'd like to think cars now arriving in the UK would be fitted with OEM all-season tyres but I sincerely doubt it.

#21 ·
You are correct Toobad, I have pointed out that I took my car in good faith and not the courtesy car.

Letter would have arrived with ombudsman last Tuesday but not heard anything yet.

#22 ·
Still nothing from Ombudsman, spoke to them last week and as they are very busy and should have response within 6 weeks - 4 weeks now.

#23 ·
@Philamg - I suspect tectonic plates move faster than the UK's Motor Ombudsman but at least you have secured your place in the queue. What is the actual adjudication you are hoping for? IIRC the original MB UK offer was for a 21" wheel/tyre upgrade at half RRP, then it was for a winter tyres swop on to your existing 19" rims with free storage and reversal twice a year for the duration of your ownership. I assume negotiations reached an impasse at some point hence you filed a complaint with the Ombudsman.

Trev.

#24 ·
Toobad, original offer was changed regarding the winter tyres in that they would change them for free first time but I would have to pay for subsequent changes.

Over the 3 years I propose to keep the car it would cost me in the region of £500, meaning I would have to pay because they have built an admitted fault into the car.

What I have asked for is the 21 inch wheels + tyres free of charge or a new set of 19 inch wheels with winter tyres on and free changing and storage whilst I have the car.

Will let you know how I get on, if they don't agree to this will be going to motoring press as they have laid off MB since they came up with the solution of free all weather tyres which they are unable to supply in 19 or 20 inch for the 43.

#25 ·
Hey guys, it?s a while since I?ve posted! I just had my tyres swapped at 9000 miles as coming Into the cold weather. Mercedes offered the swap of all four in spring a few eeeks after I collected my car and complaining of the issue. But the weather was warming up and the juddering stopped so I figured I?d get some use out of the summer tyres first. The wheels were also beginning to judder at this point / temperature.

I?ve had a few days at 4-8 degrees so far and no juddering. So it seems ok for now on a new tyre, I don?t know if this will worsen as the tyre ages maybe?

However what struck me most was the amount of wear on the front tyres when I had them replaced at 9k miles. Holey moley! they were virtually bald on the inside edges and I never noticed this until I saw them off the car as I asked to keep them. If I?d have been stopped by the police it could have cost me some points. I never expected that kind of abnormal wear at only 9k miles. I?m not a speed demon, and I used to get 20k plus miles out of the same size tyres on a q5 before needing to replace them before this car. My driving habits have even gotten better since buyin this car so the only thing I can put the abnormal wear down to is the bad set up on car. Has anyone else seen this on theirs?

#26 ·
There was reports of tyre wear when the crabbing issue was being posted on but not recently.

What model car have you got and what size wheels?.

#28 ·
Good to hear from you again, Muks.
IIRC Tony Mac had a set of Goodyear Eagle All-Season Run Flats fitted to the 20's on his car and, to his amazement and delight, it totally transformed the vehicle. Your tyre wear pattern is somewhat worrying and not dissimilar to what "JP the Clonkfather" experienced. When I took Red ken in for his tyre swop, the workshop manager suggested it may be prudent to have the steering geometry checked on their Hunter Hawkeye machine. It cost £99 but at least I now know, potholes and kerbs notwithstanding, everything is as good as it is going to get. My OEM Hankooks only dropped from 7mm to 5mm over the 6000 miles before the swop so I don't think my steering was wildly out but then they are only on 18s and any clonking was barely perceptible anyway. You may want to consider an alignment check if you intend holding on to the car so you are not forced into a premature swop especially if it is coming out of your own pocket next time. There's not much change out of £200 per corner for runflats and if you have it done at Mercedes they will probably bill you the RRP which puts them north of £300 each!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.