Mercedes GLC Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

And the Mercedes-Benz GLC made it onto the list under the 2016 World Car of the Year category.

The initial nominations were made last year at the 2015 Frankfurt Motor Show and the list originally consisted of 10 models. It has now been shortened to 3 competitors for each of the remaining 5 categories: World Car of the Year, World Luxury Car, World Performance Car, World Green Car, and World Car Design of the Year.

Only one car can be crowned World Car of the Year and the GLC is up against the Mazda MX-5 and the Audi A4 Sedan / Audi A4 Avant.

The winners for each category will be announced at the New York Auto Show which is set to open to the public on March 24th. The jury consists of 73 international automotive journalists who have tested each competitor and they will be selecting their favorites based on their experience in each vehicle.

Here’s the full list of contestants for each category.

2016 World Car of the Year:

- Audi A4 Sedan / Audi A4 Avant
- Mazda MX-5
- Mercedes-Benz GLC

2016 World Luxury Car:
- Audi Q7
- BMW 7 Series
- Volvo XC90

2016 World Performance Car:
- Audi R8 Coupe
- Honda Civic Type R
- Mercedes-AMG C 63 Coupé

2016 World Green Car:
- Chevrolet Volt
- Toyota Mirai (Hydrogen Fuel Cell)
- Toyota Prius (Hybrid)

2016 World Car Design of the Year:
- Jaguar XE
- Mazda CX-3
- Mazda MX-5

Who do you think will win the 2016 World Car of the Year award and why?

·
Registered
225 Posts
The vehicles that are finalists are pretty diverse. it's hard to determine which one exactly will win given the big differences in the very character of the vehicles. The Miata is more affordable which might play in its favor. All are great cars though.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Getting world car of the year out of all things is quite impressive but then come to think about it, it does make sense since no matter what market with whatever demographic of people, it's always going to fit in, little if any to compromise on and it's a MERCEDES!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Agreed, Mercedes Benz are a truly global brand and are well represented in virtually every market. Audi and BMW have both tried to 'rule the world' and have been fairly successful, but to me they haven't quite cracked it in my humble opinion.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Agreed, Mercedes Benz are a truly global brand and are well represented in virtually every market. Audi and BMW have both tried to 'rule the world' and have been fairly successful, but to me they haven't quite cracked it in my humble opinion.
When I traveled a lot for business to Germany (1990-1998) several members of my counterpart in Germany told me that they ALL love and believe in LEXUS, the reason they did not buy Lexus was because the Government there made that brand depreciated so fast and they did not wanna buy it just for that reason (they don't keep cars for a long time like some of us here in USA)

·
Registered
412 Posts
That's probably why I noticed a lot of older Lexus models in Russia. The IS Sedan was popular, even more among tuners since it's just about the best 4 door platform to modify; light, 4 doors, RWD, as compact as a civic.

·
Registered
188 Posts
There are still a few of the LS430's on the roads in the UK, most looking very tidy. The only thing that seems to kill them is when they get an owner who tints the windows, lowers the car and puts 21" alloys on...

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have no problem with the MX-5 winning, and I think its nice that the Miata is affordable and therefore more accessible. Having a luxury car win is fine, but it is naturally an exclusive vehicle.

·
Registered
412 Posts
No one that actually knows a thing or two about the automotive industry and cars overall will have anything against the MX-5, it once again is the best in its segment, even Toyota and Subaru couldn't touch it, they only held hype within the first year, probably less, MX-5 will see buyer interest last much longer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts