Mercedes GLC Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife and I spent most of last fall trying to find mid-size SUV to replace her Audi TT roadster. Test drove lots, looked up close and personal at many more. We finally decided to purchase a 2017 GLC300 4Matic as they say “fully loaded”. Our selected dealer could not find the exact configuration we wanted so we ordered a custom build mid December 2016. We were told a few items we wanted were backordered and the car would not be delivered until late March or early April. We went ahead knowing the delay, and finally received the car on 12 April 2017. I’ve put together some early thoughts on the technology in the car (2012 Audi A6 Prestige is the point of reference), the condition of the car when delivered and some first impressions on driving the car in a suburban environment (meaning surface streets and freeways but no long trips yet).
1. The factory paint is less than optimum. Our car is Designo Cardinal Red Metallic. The hood (bonnet) has waves and craters in the finish (see attached photo) that my detailer and I think were caused by heavy application of paint at the factory and/or the wrong reducer/catalyst proportion for the conditions present when it was painted and yes, I realize that other things can cause this defect. My detailer does very expensive custom paint work also and that is his opinion. I saw the defect at delivery but it did not look at all bad during that inspection. Unfortunately, this defect is going to require wet sanding to at least partly flatten the paint and make it appear smoother. In natural light it appears much worse. The rest of the body will require polishing to eliminate a haze layer or blush in the finish most noticeable in sunlight, this defect is not unusual, I’ve seen it on many new cars. A light polish usually gets rid of it.
2. We ordered the Sport Package which includes 19 inch wheels. The tires installed are Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season MOE (235/55 R19 101H). Dealer delivered with 42lbs all around, ride was a bit harsh with that much pressure. No big deal, I always check tire pressure on all our vehicles once a month. I reset to 32 all around as recommended on the gas door placard. I may increase that a couple of pounds after we have some miles on the vehicle.
3. The shift lever on the right side of the steering column does take a bit to get used to. My last four or five automobiles have had the windshield wiper controls in that spot. Not bad, just different. Also, I like the idea of having the car engage the parking brake automatically when in park and the engine is shut off. An interesting note: when opening the drivers door after shutdown, the car bongs and a message “don’t forget your key” appears” and the same message appears then you open the door to get in.
4. We have the HUD. I can adjust the vertical position of the HUD in my A6 with a knob on the dash, in the MB I have to go a few layers deep in the control system to adjust. I can see their point of view, most people won’t adjust this more than once or twice and since you can have this adjustment locked to your seat and steering wheel memory it is logical.
5. Changing radio stations not stored as presets is OK unless you want to change source from radio to satellite. Not at all intuitive, and way to many button pushes, at least on the center command system.
6. Getting to radio stations that were stored as presets was not at all intuitive. I think it’s way to difficult unless I haven’t found the shortcut yet. From the steering wheel it takes at least 4 button pushes to change stations. From the center display it’s even worse.
7. The NAVI system is interesting at least factory default is. Voice control worked first time we tried, nice. On the way home from the dealer I entered our home address, the system routed quickly and we started following guidance. NAVI guided us to a street that had an entrance to a freeway less than ¼ mile ahead but had us turn, go 1 mile then get on the freeway at the next entrance. We stayed on the freeway for 3 miles then guidance said exit. We stayed on surface streets the rest of the way home (7 miles) rather than stay on the freeway which parallels the surface street. Destination was reached without any issues guidance and display were easy to follow but routing was a little weird, we’ll have to see how changing settings affects routing.
8. Driving impressions: Acceleration with the system in Comfort or Eco is OK. I don’t expect neck snapping accel from a 4 cylinder. I haven’t tried sport yet, want to get more miles on. Handling is what I expected for steel spring system with top heavy car. Not going to rally the car anyway. It is a comfortable ride.
9. Distronic is kind of interesting. When you first set it, the display for following distance appears, but unless you change the distance like in a second or 2 the display goes away. Not something you would change every day, but I would change based on amount of traffic, so having it remain available a little longer might be a good thing.
10. I haven’t been able to get an internet connection yet. The display shows a decent signal level from Verizon (2/3 bars) but when trying to download meta-data for a CD playing, the connection fails every time with a message similar to “Internet connection not available at this time. Try again later”.
11. Mercedes Me won’t let me add the vehicle yet, their database doesn’t show us as the owner. Dealer issue I think and I’ve notified them.
Overall we both like the car a lot so far. We realize it will take a bit longer to learn all the ins and outs but early first impression is positive.

Attachments

·
Registered
287 Posts
Orange peel is something you are guaranteed to get from factory. I've seen Lamborghini paint that has orange peel paint like that. If you really want it flat, get your detailer to wet sand the whole car and cut/polish it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Orange peel is something you are guaranteed to get from factory. I've seen Lamborghini paint that has orange peel paint like that. If you really want it flat, get your detailer to wet sand the whole car and cut/polish it.
Done, paint on hood/bonnet now looks 100% better. Blush and haze on the rest of the car is also taken care of. The car still has slight imperfection on the hood, but i gave explicit instruction that I wanted no chance at all of going through the clear. After all, this is a OEM paint job not a show paint job.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Always hated seeing that on such expensive cars since all it takes is maybe a $1000 job to have the paint look flawless, easy way for a sales rep to get even more money, even if they don't its still good for that dealers reputation in quality and care.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Definitely, I agree. Could you post some pictures of how much he was able to get out ??
I'm going to be taking some pics of the after as part of overall "here's our new addition" photos. It's going to take a couple of days, I'm in the middle of trying to un-screw grandkids computer that somehow :surprise: always manages to get messed up, happens with random clicking.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Great drive impression post! I've pretty much given up on any navigation system outside of Google maps, it's just so much better than anything else I've tried and leads me down the fastest route.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Always hated seeing that on such expensive cars since all it takes is maybe a $1000 job to have the paint look flawless, easy way for a sales rep to get even more money, even if they don't its still good for that dealers reputation in quality and care.
100% agree.

Beyond the money portion, customers will appreciate that extra step that they went and the feedback will reflect.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Adding more information after 5K+ road trip

Hello everyone. My wife and I just finished a 5K+ mile road trip in our 2017 GLC300 4 Matic and I put together some thoughts one day while my wife was driving.

1. Navi - I'm beginning to think it is way behind my phone in capability or my $300 Garmin unit for that matter. It is very difficult to do an online search for a destination, I don't know what the car uses but I tried to look up an address online for a hotel that has been open for more than 2 years and the system couldn't find it. Not only couldn't it find the hotel, but the system said the address didn't exist, not just the number, the street. Since this street is in TX and is the frontage road for I-10, it's been there since the interstate was completed lots of years ago. POI searches are essentially useless, nothing I tried to find existed.

2. Sirus/XM - we lost signal one day in southern GA in the interstate for no apparent reason. Sat radio stayed unavailable for the rest of the drive until we shutdown at our destination and later restarted car. Might be hardware, might be software the trouble did not re-occur. Volume would change randomly on all channels we listened to for a few seconds each time then return to set value.

3. Distronic - Love the concept, worked as intended most of the time. Couple of thoughts; it decelerates for traffic ahead pretty abruptly, maintains the set distance and when the way is clear, starts accelerating back to preset speed very slowly as if it is thinking "should I or shouldn't I? Oh what the heck I'll accelerate now". Also, and I understand the reason, the radar sensors are somewhat sensitive to rain. The system would display a message that the radar sensors were unavailable when we drove through a few moderate rainstorms.

4. Mileage - Seemed to be pretty good for the size vehicle and engine. Overall average was 27MPG, with a high of 33MPG in the SE US (Florida) and the worst 22MPG in TX hill country fighting a headwind and cruising 80ish MPH (that's the speed limit). Most of the time we were seeing 25-27 on the "Since Start" display which is an average. The figures I have above were calculated manually with fuel used and miles driven.

5. Tires - The Pirelli MOE tires were pretty quiet for the entire trip depending on road surface. Pressure was maintained @ 36 rear and 34 front. Ride was comfortable.

6. HUD - I had a problem with the HUD one day and I will be bringing this to the attention of the service department. The right side of the HUD seemed to have a dark blob (that's the best way I can describe it) growing from the right edge toward the center. The display at the time had Distronic speed display and speed limit on the right. The blob grew to block about half of the circular speed display so speed limit was gone completely. I turned HUD off and back on a number of times and the entire display finally returned, but the speed limit graphic is still very sawtooth on the edges and is not as clear as the rest.

7. Windshield wipers - I've seen this issue in other threads. The wipers "judder" after being used for 15-20 minutes. By judder I mean you can see them skip across the windshield. My temporary solution was to use one quick squirt of windshield washer fluid, that solved the issue for 20 minutes or so.

Overall - This is a good 2 person road vehicle. We had 4 people in it for the first half of the trip and although seating was OK, baggage carrying capability leaves a bit to be desired. With 2 carry-on size bags, 2 medium dufflebags, 1 computer backpack and 1 small cooler (only holds about 8 12 ounce water bottles) we maxed out the luggage area.
Notwithstanding some of my comments above, we do like the car. Would I recommend it to a friend now that we've taken a trip in it. I truly don't know. It would depend on what the friend was looking for. The electronic systems on the car could be improved, the mechanical seem really good.

OH, one other thing. I seem to gravitate more to the big knob under the touch controller more than the touch controller when using the Command system. I don't know why.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts