Mercedes GLC Forum banner

2017 GLC43 Front Diff feeling like a lock diff when turning ?

7K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  Doug McWilliams 
#1 ·
Hi all I am new to the forum and I just bought my partner a 2017 GLC43 With 33000kms but when ever we turn at low speeds it feels it has a lock diff and like it skips..!
Has anyone else had this issue?

#3 ·
Hi all I am new to the forum and I just bought my partner a 2017 GLC43 With 33000kms but when ever we turn at low speeds it feels it has a lock diff and like it skips..!
Yep, I can reproduce this effect easily on my 2017 GLC 350D (27,000ks). If I go hard left or right lock in reverse the 'skipping' crabbing' effect is very noticeable. Seems to behave like a 4wd that has all 4 hubs locked. It is like the wheels are skidding to catch up in their rotation with other wheels. I have notified my local mercedes dealership to look into this at my next service in about 2 months. Half expecting the response to be that it is 'typical behaviour'. I'm not prepared to accept such a response and will chase it further if necessary.
All the best , it will be interesting if you can resolve your challenge.

#4 ·
I noticed it this week in my 2016 model. Have not really explored it yet. I will check it out more. I did feel it in one place but the middle line had grooves in it so I think that was that. But now I have been experiencing other things I have not noticed before. Of course my tires are getting kinda smooth and need replacing.

#7 ·
I hear you but 'a good turning circle' is a bit of a stretch - I wouldn't necessarily call it good. And since when does Mercedes compromise on design and knowingly allow such a glaring fault into production. I am hoping this is not the case. There has to be a solution that is either a running change for those who maintain a Mercedes worksop maintenance schedule or at a very long stretch a recall. Gee, we pay enough to purchase and own these things, a bit of manufacturer support and loyalty would not go a miss.

#8 ·
I have the same “crabbing” issue with my 2019 GLC43. On reverse from my driveway and taking a reverse and/ turn into a gas station (most prominent in the morning and sounding more light a light thud later in the day). I brought this to the attention of the folks at the dealer but as already mentioned, I was told the car was ok and it couldn’t be replicated. This weekend my friend noticed it immediately and reached that it wasn’t normal. I’ll be taking it again on my upcoming service. This should be a recall and not a positive feature.

#9 ·
I have the same problem with my brand new 2017 GLC43 after 18 months, It's a performance car so only go straight, every time when you turn the wheels it's "crabbing" front and back, they called it "skipping tyres". It can be replaced with GLC but not the AMG model. My neighbor got a GLC250 same problem and they replaced it.
Another problem is the air con, the smell is so bad every time you turn it on....ok, changed the filter, but it comes back every month or two!?
For what we paid for it's a shame on MB. Problem they cannot fix and don't have a solution. Call it irresponsible business practice.

#10 ·
The cars should be recalled.. my friends mock the fact that It’s called “high performance”.. they say that’s not a feature but a defect. I have another appt in 21 days.. I’m raising the same issues and documenting every ridiculous response for my GLC43 AMG.

#11 ·
Hi,
i have a 2019 GLC63 Coupe and i have the exactly same problem, went 3 times to the dealer, and 3 times got the same answer, "it's normal and a well known issue from Benz Germany" but they don't have any solution for now. I was thinking and hoping to solve the problem by changing the tires, someone tried already? now i still have the stock continental tires

Thank you

#12 ·
Search forum > Crabbing
Also search Google & YouTube > Crabbing

Big fault primarily a huge fault on Right-hand drive GLC’s

In the UK MB offered a fix under warranty - New Knuckles - that changes the steering geometry and almost fixes the fault

This New Knuckles are not available for AMG C43 or C63 models

New none AMG 2019 cars have the New Knuckles, so should not experience this fault.

Sadly is STILL NOT AVAILABLE ON NEW AMG C43 or C63

Good car but the Crabbing & Juddering truly is unbearable - shocking that MB still haven’t fixed the fault on New Right-hand drive C43 & C63‘s

Tony

#16 ·
Had the same issue with my 2017 with 46k . After some research I found out that MBZ used wrong differential oil on some GLC . Mine was fixed under original warranty. good luck.

#17 ·
I have also felt this issue. I get it that since this vehicle has such an extraordinary turning radius the price is crabbing. If you keep aware of it and control your speed when turning no issue. I like how it can turn but now get the limitation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.