Mercedes GLC Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone, I am considering purchasing the new 2020 GLC43 AMG with 21" wheels and was informed about the tyre scrubbing issue on previous models. Has this been addressed in the latest model?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I don't have one but it's definitely not addressed in terms of the new knuckles (which don't exist for the AMG models). Possibly improved at launch vs the launch of the older model now they know tyres that are less affected though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Everyone, I am considering purchasing the new 2020 GLC43 AMG with 21" wheels and was informed about the tyre scrubbing issue on previous models. Has this been addressed in the latest model?
Great car had everything you need, the power, comfort and all the luxury. However, the issue not fixed it will come up after 18 months. Highly not recommended to buy this car until the problem is fixed by MB.

·
Registered
2018 GLC43 Hyacinth Red
2 Posts
When I picked mine up at the dealer I told the rep that it is something I’ll be looking out for as the temps dropped closer to freezing. He just shrugged and gave me a look like I was talking a foreign language... The other night when temps fell to 35-38F they started to creak pop and crab... anything above 45 with stock 21” Conti’s is hardly noticeable. These are the new gen 2020 Contisports as they were swapped out during the Star Certified inspection...

·
Registered
37 Posts
2018 GLC 43. Terrible skipping and crabbing when temps get below 17 degC. Had new 20" winters installed with Michelin Pilot Alpin 5 SUV. Completely eliminated the skipping and crabbing, and it rides sooooo much better. Will also go to softer summer tires as the stock Conit's are not my favorite. Aside from that, no problems and the car is practical and fun when you flip it into Sport+. Enjoy

·
Registered
233 Posts
When I picked mine up at the dealer I told the rep that it is something I’ll be looking out for as the temps dropped closer to freezing. He just shrugged and gave me a look like I was talking a foreign language... The other night when temps fell to 35-38F they started to creak pop and crab... anything above 45 with stock 21” Conti’s is hardly noticeable. These are the new gen 2020 Contisports as they were swapped out during the Star Certified inspection...
The Crabbing Fault has essentially only been reported on Right-hand drive GLC’s.

These vehicles have different and defective front Steering geometry and Drive Differential, that causes the fault.

Owners of Left-hand Drive GLC’s have not been reporting the fault. So you should be ok in Canada.

Tony

·
Registered
1 Posts
The Crabbing Fault has essentially only been reported on Right-hand drive GLC’s.

These vehicles have different and defective front Steering geometry and Drive Differential, that causes the fault.

Owners of Left-hand Drive GLC’s have not been reporting the fault. So you should be ok in Canada.

Tony

Tony
Hello Tony,

I’m a new owner of a 2020 GLC43 in Montréal, Quebec, Canada and I can confirm that the fault is unfortunately present in Canada also. I have the 21 inch wheels with summer tires options.

I had the car for less than 2 months now and the crabbing has started to appear as soon as the weather got a bit colder. Anything under 10 degrees Celsius and the tires will hop/skip a on tight radius turn at low speeds. Only happens when the tires are cold though.

I am getting 19inch winter tires and wheels installed 2 days from now, I will report back if the issue is still present with smaller wheels which it shouldn’t.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi Im also having same problem and from malaysia currently using 21inch .. Any solution for this issue already sent to workshop almost 4 weeks but the problem appear back

1 - 9 of 9 Posts