Mercedes GLC Forum banner

2020 GLC300 AMG Line Front Parking Sensor Issues

11K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  Troot 
#1 ·
Hi All
New to the Forum but looking to see if anyone else is experiencing issues with front Parking sensors on the new 2020 GLC.
Picked it up on 1st March and love the car but already its been back for a snagging list. Didn't have any issues with parking sensors until I got it back from this visit back to the dealership. Non of the issues should have had anything to do with the parking sensors. Both left and right parking sensors adjacent to the number plate on the front intermittently go immediately red when vehicle stops and reversing camera opens up and screen indicated to check entire surroundings. Have spoken to the dealership again and they inform me that there is a technical bulletin with Mercedes that the Number plate bezel and mount may interfere with the parking sensors. Surely if this was the case. there would be a lot of GLC's out there experiencing the same issue??? They want to remove the number plate mount which quite frankly would make it look a bit odd.
Any comments or recommendations would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Hi Andy, I have a new GLC300 AMG Premium plus and have no issues with the parking sensors. So if it is the number plate bezel it must be down to how the dealers fit it. I have had 3 issues with the Command screen; it has not activated when I started the car (and I hadn't turned it off). This issue fixed itself after the car was turned off and restarted the following day.

Reactions: Andy Horsman
#3 ·
There’s a sure way of knowing by removing the mount yourself and road test...
x4 Philips screw hold the number plate to mount, once removed there’s a couple of screws that hold the mount to the bumper.
Do you have the front camera (part of the 360degree package I believe) is it possibly needing calibrated

#6 ·
I can see what the dealer means now. The bottom edge of the plate holder is thicker because it bears the dealers name and this caused the plate holder to be about 20mm lower than it should be. This dealer sells hundreds of cars. I have to ask how come I'm the only one with an issue??? My car obviously has a different front end to yours. Thanks for the photos.

Attachments

#7 ·
I ”believe” with that plate surround, the lower plate is snapped in with plastic clips and can be levered out and off.
then the plate can be slid down and out, the plate holder/surround has multi holes for screw fitment to OEM plinth
Removing the surround may resolve issue, though I guess it is a dealer issue really, regardless of how simple the resolution may be
Prior to plate change, with dealer plates fitted there was a lower banner, albeit the lower outer edges were trimmed level with std plate size.
I guess I now know the reason!

#9 ·
I have noticed a sensor problem with my new Glc300 2020 model that when you lock the steering to the right, the right sensor goes on red alert. I took it to Mercedes but they couldn’t replicate the problem however I noticed it again yesterday. Has anyone else experienced that issue? Do you think the sensor is so sensitive that it is picking up the car wheel when turning??

#10 ·
Did you notice on the MBUX which sensor flagged. There is obviously 3 for the left and 3 for the right. My dealership has told me that there is a technical alert from Mercedes regarding the license plate holder interfering with the parking sensors. This however flags the sensor nearest the plate holder. From your description is it your outer sensor flagging?

#12 ·
As I understand it there are no sensors down the side of the car, just assumption based alerts (ie if the front sensor picked something up to the outside of the car and you then drive forward that thing must now be beside the car).

So I guess the one right on the side of the bumper is tripping?

#15 ·
Update - Bezel was changed by the dealership for a slimline one that is leas intrusive that the original one on the parking sensors. This has made no difference at all. When the weather is dry they work fine but when it has rained or I have washed the car and dried it off they start randomly activating them again. I have replicated the fault. Its definitely water related. Back to the dealership again for further investigation. Not good for a brand new Car.......

#19 ·
Hi Folks, I am new to the GLC and new to Mercedes, I just bought a 300 Premium Plus and I cant get the assisted parking to work, when I press the button to activate it I don't get the message that it is searching for a space, nor do I get the animation of the radar sensors operating and I never see the blue P in the square that says it has found a space, Dealer says it is on my car and there are no reported faults with the system. If this were the number plate issue surely I would still get the animation and message? Any suggestions gratefully received, I am loving the car otherwise.

#20 ·
This isn’t a GLC or Mercedes specific issue, it is a known issue that surrounds on number plates can interfere with sensors. If you have a frame around the number plate, there’s no harm removing it. I had a parking sensor issue with a c class saloon in 2016 (ie before the GLC was released) where an internet search found a number of people had similar and discovered it was an oversized number plate surround. If the problem persists or you don’t have a number late surround, get back to the dealer as it could just be a faulty sensor

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.