Mercedes GLC Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car came up with the "refill your Adblue" message after 8760 miles. I didn't think too much of it until I realised the tank capacity is 27 litres. Have put in 10 litres so far and it's just over half with a range of 4200 miles showing..

Compared with my previous Audis this seems heavy consumption, My last A6 covered 14000 before refill although I don't know what the tank held on that - any thoughts?

Bob

·
Registered
35 Posts
I think from the "miles to go" indicator, mine's going to be around the 9k miles mark too.
When I bought the car the dealer said I probably wouldn't need to fill up till service time, so bit disappointed with the range.

Still... to put some perspective on it, my VW Transporter van gets around 5k between fill ups - the tank is only 13 litres - tiny thing!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Must be about normal then as it seems your van uses around the same per litre of fuel and maybe my Audis were just more economical. Maybe it should be one of the statistics manufacturers need to state in the sales brochures, I've never seen it listed.

Still I guess £40 on every 9k is small beer. works out around 350 miles per litre of Adblue.

As an aside, I loved my Transporter although it was pre Adblue editions. LWB 170 bhp, it pulled like a train and never let me down. My missus wanted me to convert it into a camper van, wish I had now.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've had 2 GLC's 250D & 350D & neither have needed me to add inbetween normal 9k or 1 year service intervals...strange...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Macan was about £10k, a total pain because the car had to go to the dealer to be done otherwise the car wouldn’t know it had been refilled. One of the reasons I went back to petrol on the GLC (higher mpg on GLC too).

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you have to pay for the adblue if the dealer fills it up during a service? My car is due in on 4th October but I'll fill it myself rather than pay inflated dealer prices.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Do you have to pay for the adblue if the dealer fills it up during a service? My car is due in on 4th October but I'll fill it myself rather than pay inflated dealer prices.
On my first service they did added and charged me like 80pounds for it. Which is nonsense. Could have just done it myself to be honest.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks romk1n

I'm going to put some more in mine in that case as can buy it for under £10 for 10 litres delivered. Even Halfords are selling 10l for £11 at the minute.

·
Registered
466 Posts
On my first service I was charged for AdBlue at £1.20 ex-VAT per litre. Red Ken had consumed 9 litres in 5400 miles. I then bought the 3-service subscription plan for £35/month to cover the next B, A and B services and paid nothing for the AdBlue top-up as it was already allowed for in the service plan apparently.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Does the car have a gauge or do you just get a "low" warning. I'm going to look at a GLC today with the intention to buy. One thing I was going to ask was for them to make sure the adblue was full, but is there any way to check they have?

·
Registered
466 Posts
The AdBlue tank has a capacity of 27 litres but you cannot see its contents. You can check the current capacity by pressing the Home button on the steering wheel and selecting the Service option from the menu. In the AdBlue section you will see a vertical histogram depicting the current capacity along with an estimation of the range left in the tank.

When there is only 3 litres left in the tank you will see "Refill AdBlue" appear on the dash. It is not worth playing chicken with this message as you can reach a stage when the car will simply refuse to start without doing a top-up first. However, if you ignore this and it reaches a predetermined minimum capacity, it persists with the warnings by now posting "Refill AdBlue No start in XXX mi". Given that nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool, you will be rewarded with the message "Refill AdBlue Start not possible" if you decide to push the envelope. Now you need to track down at least 3.5 litres of the magic potion, add it to the tank then leave your ignition on for at least 60 secs whilst the car's onboard management sorts itself out. The car will then start again.

If anybody has obtained their personal stash of AdBlue, it is worth noting the stuff freezes at -11C so give a thought to where you are storing it. Obviously the car's tank is heated to compensate for use in colder climates.

·
Super Moderator
1,144 Posts
I believe that if you have the service plan then all adblue top ups are included, not just at services.

Land rover owners have major issues with this as some of their diesels requiring topping up when they have only driven 4000 miles.

I think that the amount of adblue injected into the system has been increased to lower emissions resulting in the need for top ups at lower mileage than originally advertised by manufacturers.

I haven't got a diesel mountain man but would imagine that in the menu system it will tell you how many miles left to next top up, this may not be accurate as like fuel the amount used depends on types of journeys and driving style.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The AdBlue tank has a capacity of 27 litres but you cannot see its contents. You can check the current capacity by pressing the Home button on the steering wheel and selecting the Service option from the menu. In the AdBlue section you will see a vertical histogram depicting the current capacity along with an estimation of the range left in the tank.

When there is only 3 litres left in the tank you will see "Refill AdBlue" appear on the dash. It is not worth playing chicken with this message as you can reach a stage when the car will simply refuse to start without doing a top-up first. However, if you ignore this and it reaches a predetermined minimum capacity, it persists with the warnings by now posting "Refill AdBlue No start in XXX mi". Given that nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool, you will be rewarded with the message "Refill AdBlue Start not possible" if you decide to push the envelope. Now you need to track down at least 3.5 litres of the magic potion, add it to the tank then leave your ignition on for at least 60 secs whilst the car's onboard management sorts itself out. The car will then start again.

If anybody has obtained their personal stash of AdBlue, it is worth noting the stuff freezes at -11C so give a thought to where you are storing it. Obviously the car's tank is heated to compensate for use in colder climates.
bonjour je suis un garagiste en algérie est en reçoit des problème de adblue Mercedes GLC 250 est 220 signale démarrage impossible est je fait le diagnostique Avec mon outil de est réinitialises les défaut est le moteur redemande mai le problème persiste danque ci un défaut de fabrication ou défaut du produit adblue

·
Registered
466 Posts
Hi messaoui and welcome to the forum. Unfortunately my schoolboy French is not very good as I learnt it some 45 years ago! I think you are saying you are a garage mechanic in Algeria and you have a problem with a 220d which failed to start because the AdBlue tank was allowed to empty. You tried to do a reset with your diagnostics tool via the OBD port and this has failed so you are wondering if the problem lies with a manufacturing fault or the quality of the Adblue used to refill the tank.

Did you add MORE THAN 3.5 litres of AdBlue and then let the car reset itself by keeping the ignition on for a full 60 seconds BEFORE trying to start the car? If you take the car to a Mercedes dealer they will drain and refill the tank with their own Mercedes Adblue and probably do a full engine management software download of the very latest version using their own Star diagnostics machine. I suspect this could involve a long journey if you are not located near a large city.

With apologies for the poor French:
Avez-vous ajouté PLUS DE 3,5 litres d'AdBlue et laissé la voiture se réinitialiser en maintenant le contact pendant 60 secondes AVANT d'essayer de démarrer la voiture? Si vous emmenez la voiture chez un concessionnaire Mercedes, elle videra et remplira le réservoir avec sa propre Mercedes Adblue et effectuera probablement un téléchargement complet du logiciel de gestion du moteur de la toute dernière version en utilisant sa propre machine de diagnostic Star. Je soupçonne que cela pourrait impliquer un long voyage si vous n'êtes pas situé près d'une grande ville.

·
Registered
100 Posts
bonjour je suis un garagiste en algérie est en reçoit des problème de adblue Mercedes GLC 250 est 220 signale démarrage impossible est je fait le diagnostique Avec mon outil de est réinitialises les défaut est le moteur redemande mai le problème persiste danque ci un défaut de fabrication ou défaut du produit adblue
Translated............hello I am a car mechanic in Algeria is receiving adblue problem Mercedes GLC 250 is 220 reports startup impossible is I made the diagnosis With my tool is reset the defect is the motor redemande may the problem persists danque ci a manufacturing defect or defect of the adblue product.​

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hello

can we complement AdBlue before the message ??
Yes you can refill at any time, just be careful not to over fill. I've already put some in twice and checked the computer gauge ( it takes a minute or so to register ).
My car is due in for its' first service on Monday so I intend to make sure it's full before I take it to the dealer.

Reactions: Aldo

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yes you can refill at any time, just be careful not to over fill. I've already put some in twice and checked the computer gauge ( it takes a minute or so to register ).

Just re-iterating the "don't overfill" bit.
If its like the VW system, the system only detects the level in the tank, not what's up in the neck.
So, if you overfill up into the neck, the system won't detect any usage until it drops back into the tank.
No detected usage is treated as a fault and the engine is shut down in the same fashion as running out of adblue.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My car is due in for its' first service on Monday so I intend to make sure it's full before I take it to the dealer.

Hello
Thank you for this information

1 - 20 of 20 Posts