Mercedes GLC Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from a bright but chilly Warwickshire, in the middle of the UK.

I am very happy to have come across such an active forum. I really value the ability to share information and know-how.

This is my first MB and it's quite a departure for me. Medium-Large saloons (Audi A4, VW Passat) and more recently large estates (2 x BMW 5 series since 2010) have been the norm for me, since I spend about 20,000 miles sitting in my car per year, comfort is my priority and arriving fresh at my client site after 3 hours on the motorway is invaluable. So I am a little nervous about how I will fare in this class of car.

I most likely would have had another 5 series estate, since they've been nothing but reliable and the dealership I've used has been exemplary these past 7 years. However I've been caught up in the Tesla fandom and back in April 2016 put down a deposit on the Model 3. Here in the UK the model 3 is expected in "early 2019" and since my 5 series was now 4 years old, it was time for a change. When the Tesla arrives, my new car will be passed along to the wife, who only does local journeys and has an aversion to larger cars, so the GLC seems like the perfect compromise; a lovely, high-class cabin environment for me for the next 18 months, thereafter a significant upgrade for the wife from her 2015 Qashqai.

I test drove everything in this class and found the GLC to be the best option (though I do wonder about the upcoming BMW X3 - but hey, it's not here today). Having had both an SE 5 series and a M-Sport 5 series, I've found the compromise on ride quality from the latter (firmer suspension, bigger run flat wheels), has grated on me over the past few years and so I test drove probably 6 or 7 different combinations of GLC engine, wheel size and trim style before settling on:

220 diesel Sport
Premium Plus Package
360 degree camera
Metalic black
Beige interior
Black ash trim.
18" wheels

11% discount off list, and a 5.6% APR felt good, so I signed the paperwork on 14th July, with delivery expected on 8th September to the dealer, with handover to me 2 days later.

Since then, the experience has been pretty terrible frankly. The delivery has been delayed due to a "rolling block" and as I've learned MB won't give out any information to help you understand why, and the new "late October" date has more caveats than Donald Trump's pre-nup. The dealership have handled the situation appallingly, failing to notify me of the delay until the day before I was due to collect (despite my seeking and receiving confirmation a week or so earlier). A very real problem since I'd arranged the return of the BMW. The dealer then compounded the situation by decrying responsibility, declaring they had no contractual obligation and my car-less situation was "not our problem". Unimpressive stuff.

It took several days and some aggressive tactics, but eventually they came good and I'm driving an E-Class estate free of charge until the GLC comes.

Side note: I recommend to everyone ordering a car, that you get something in writing, even an email that says "if the delivery date changes, we will let you know in advance". If you then find yourself in the same circumstance as me, you can then use the legal arguments of Misrepresentation and Reliance to bluff your way to a remedy. Happy to go into detail if anyone needs it.

The E-Class experience is making me a little nervous about COMAND I have to say. Whilst it's got a nice big screen and pretty graphics, it's tortuous to use compared to the 2010 era system in the 5 series, and I don't think it's just me getting used to it, it's clunky, slow and takes many steps to do anything.

Question - how do you add the footer to your messages, showing what spec car you have?

·
Super Moderator
1,144 Posts
Welcome to the forum, you add the footer in your profile under signature.

Sure you will love the GLC when it arrives, it is my first MB and like yourself after several BMW'S I wasn't sure if I was doing the right thing.

I had the pro navigation on bmw's and in my opinion the command system is better, much easier to use and just as fast, after the system in a land rover discovery sport it is like going to colour after black and white.

Hopefully you will receive your car soon, shame you didn't order the intelligent lights they are absolutely brilliant.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum, you add the footer in your profile under signature.

Sure you will love the GLC when it arrives, it is my first MB and like yourself after several BMW'S I wasn't sure if I was doing the right thing.

I had the pro navigation on bmw's and in my opinion the command system is better, much easier to use and just as fast, after the system in a land rover discovery sport it is like going to colour after black and white.

Hopefully you will receive your car soon, shame you didn't order the intelligent lights they are absolutely brilliant.
Thank you, this is very reassuring.

There's quite a few things I would have added were this going to be my car for the next 3 years, but since in 18 months time it will do about 5 miles a day on school runs, I tried to be more frugal and not get carried away :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have a different opinion and have plenty of features missing from my 2010BMW, so I wouldn’t put your hopes up for Tech side of things. The ride is fantastic you will love driving it everyday. Congrats and enjoy.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have to disagree with Phil - in my opinion the BMW I-Drive tech system is significantly easier, quicker, clearer and more intuitive to use an the MB Command system. Having said that, Command is still much better than the systems in the Jaguar F-Pace and the Porsche Macan.

Appreciate we all have differing personal preferences, so what you know and are comfortable with works.

Have also looked at a few touch-screen systems. These are a nightmare and impossible to use, especially when multi-tasking while driving - trying to touch a button or icon to find a contact number or zoom in our on the sat-nav is impossible :(

Tony

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'd say stick it out too, in my short experience I'm impressed with the glc.

I was spinning through COmmand last night it didn't seem that clunky to me tbh..

I was put off by touch screen when testing a tesla, obviously in the uk we'd have to use our left hand which for most isn't the preferred! In Europe and the states they'd be using their right hand to use a system which would be considerably easier in my opinion.

just a thought.

·
Super Moderator
1,144 Posts
Also with touchscreen you are forever cleaning fingerprints off it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For anyone else experiencing a delivery delay, I have a minor update - I heard from the dealer late last week advising that the delivery date has moved FORWARD, from 20 Oct to 19 Oct.......

·
Super Moderator
1,144 Posts
Great news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
145 Posts
For anyone else experiencing a delivery delay, I have a minor update - I heard from the dealer late last week advising that the delivery date has moved FORWARD, from 20 Oct to 19 Oct.......
Did they mention why it's been delayed? Are the confident of that date?

My dealer doesn't have a delivery date on mine and it was expected 25th September and seems to have been languishing in Zeebrugge for 2 weeks. He did have a suspicion it might be waiting for all weather tyres.

Interestingly enough, my car's VIN now shows up on this website CarInfo (which gives a suprising amount of information incl the fact it has summer tyres) So there might be something in it.

Graham

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did they mention why it's been delayed? Are the confident of that date?

My dealer doesn't have a delivery date on mine and it was expected 25th September and seems to have been languishing in Zeebrugge for 2 weeks. He did have a suspicion it might be waiting for all weather tyres.

Interestingly enough, my car's VIN now shows up on this website CarInfo (which gives a suprising amount of information incl the fact it has summer tyres) So there might be something in it.

Graham
Nope - they keep referencing a "rolling block" and that they don't get any detail from MB.

Interestingly I got a call last night saying they expect delivery of the car on Friday and can turn over to me on Monday.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Nope - they keep referencing a "rolling block" and that they don't get any detail from MB.

Interestingly I got a call last night saying they expect delivery of the car on Friday and can turn over to me on Monday.
That's great news. I'm still being told to expect mine on Monday but I'll believe it when I see it.

My dealer believes that the delay was down to the wheels being in short supply but I'm not buying that.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Car is apparently being delivered to dealer tomorrow and available to me on Monday.

Unfortunately I won't be available for it until Wednesday.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Car is apparently being delivered to dealer tomorrow and available to me on Monday.

Well, I have my fingers crossed for you. I was in that situation 3 weeks ago. I even saw a Mercedes transporter heading away from the dealership on that very day so I was 100% sure mine had been delivered as promised. Obviously it wasn't. I'm now resigned to just waiting for a call from the Dealer whenever it actually arrives on their forecourt. Even then I'll ask for photographic evidence :grin2:

·
Registered
145 Posts
That's great news. I'm still being told to expect mine on Monday but I'll believe it when I see it.

My dealer believes that the delay was down to the wheels being in short supply but I'm not buying that.
I was told back in May there was a wheel shortage, at that point I wasn't even able to order one..

·
Registered
61 Posts

I almost daren't ask but has it arrived?!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just got an email this moment with photo's of it receiving the PDI at the dealer

I have to confess I didn't believe it was going to, but it is!

Hopefully that means the blockage has cleared and everyone waiting will soon be driving!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just got an email this moment with photo's of it receiving the PDI at the dealer

Hopefully that means the blockage has cleared and everyone waiting will soon be driving!
That's great to hear!

I hope you're right. I'm waiting for a call back to let me know if mine is still expected on Monday or not.

·
Registered
412 Posts

One you do get it make sure to inspect it properly since you never know what surprises there might be that happened during shipping and even during the PDI process. The worst thing is coming back to home to find out.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts