Mercedes GLC Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Coming from the dark side in that I've been driving a Q5. I'm now on the cusp of a GLC 250 AMG Line and I'm looking for some hope and encouragement amidst this 'crabbing' furore!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Klass,
I've been following that thread and others like it. I'm looking for some positivity to hang onto. We are replacing a very reliable Audi Q5 and love the GLC 250. We could not detect any problems on test drives and have another one booked for Friday. My heart tells me to go for it but my head tells me to hang fire and see how this pans out.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forums. I would of thought you may have been tempted by the revamped Q5 which is now on sale for April delivery. They have packed it with the latest tech pinched from the Q7 and it should be a quantum leap forward considering your existing model has been around for a very long time. As to the GLC's crabbing problem, you are less likely to be affected if you don't go beyond 18" rims and stay away from the AMG trim because of its stiffer suspension. The 31:69 torque split of the 250 may also be a contributing factor. The 220 models have a 45:55 split and seem less susceptible to the problem provided you stick to 18" or below rims and the Sport or SE trim levels. If you do decide to place an order just insist the Dealer adds a clause allowing you a penalty-free rejection of the car should the crabbing issue manifest itself. The unlucky owners who didn't do this are now being forced to mount a Class Action since one Mercedes dealer has refused the Motoring Ombudsman's adjudication that the car was indeed unfit for purpose and should be returned for a refund.

Dealer rejects Ombudsman's decision

My 220d Sport on air suspension and 18" rims from the Offroad Package does not suffer from crabbing even when 3-point turning on my tarmac drive at -5C. It is, without a doubt, the best car I have ever owned.

Reactions: Hurly

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Toobad, That is so helpful. The New Q5 is tempting and looks sharp but not permanent 4wheel drive this time and built in Mexico means we were quoted June for delivery (Cars go first to Ingolstadt before being distributed apparently). We also had problems with our Audi dealer and speccing the new Q5 to an equivalent level as our existing car shows a massive price hike.

We were very impressed with the GLC and although disappointed in MB's treatment of customers we will have another drive on Friday and take it from there. Living in rural Scotland the air suspension and off-road package would be put to good use on a regular basis.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Toobad, Out of interest what sort of tyre wear are you experiencing? Also, has your air suspension been trouble-free?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Thanks Klass,
I've been following that thread and others like it. I'm looking for some positivity to hang onto. We are replacing a very reliable Audi Q5 and love the GLC 250. We could not detect any problems on test drives and have another one booked for Friday. My heart tells me to go for it but my head tells me to hang fire and see how this pans out.
This may be one of the scenarios where listening to the head may be the best way to go. I'm actually waiting a little bit longer before pulling the trigger. Everything is ready to go but I want to see the outcomes of these situations first. The Q5 is a very lovely vehicle, how did you feel the test drive compared before?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The GLC was a softer, if very comfortable ride, the Q5 is firmer which I prefer. The initial impression in the cabin was that the Merc was very sumptuous and cosseting, very impressive, if a little glitzy. The Q5 is very much understated but the quality of the materials is not quite up to that of the Merc. Steering was much the same on the car/settings I tested with little roll around corners. Visibility was better and road engine noise better suppressed in the GLC. The compelling factor for my wife and I was the seat comfort and more luxurious experience compared to the more austere Audi.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Hi Toobad, Out of interest what sort of tyre wear are you experiencing? Also, has your air suspension been trouble-free?

I've only done 3,800 miles on the 235/60R18 Hankooks but on, inspection I've not seen any evidence of adverse wear patterns and certainly not any of the scrubbing/delamination that the guys with the lower profile tyres are experiencing.

The air suspension has been faultless. There are plenty of horror stories about the Mercedes Air Body Control "floating" around the internet (see what I did there:laugh:) but those all pertain to previous incarnations of the system. The GLC has been fitted with a new multi-chambered design so I guess this system is still a bit young in the tooth to have amassed any significant feedback. It definitely delivers the "magic carpet" ride quality that I made the pivotal criteria for my purchase. Having spent 13 years driving pickup trucks, I was on the hunt for comfort with a capital C. If I yearn for a little spinal injury I still have a TVR which will deliver this in spades. Apart from the 20mm taller ride height, the ABC amplifies the effects of the Dynamic Modes far more than the conventional spring suspension so Sport and Sport+ make a real difference to the driving feel and if you also option the Off-road Package, you will get an extra "Rocking Assist" mode.

Reactions: Hurly

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This may be one of the scenarios where listening to the head may be the best way to go. I'm actually waiting a little bit longer before pulling the trigger. Everything is ready to go but I want to see the outcomes of these situations first. The Q5 is a very lovely vehicle, how did you feel the test drive compared before?
Hi Klass,
I thought you had already taken the plunge and owned a GLC. I suppose the problem is a class action could take some time to resolve unless MB see sense. I'm tempted to get a 250 sport as they seem to be less effected than AMG Line models

Reactions: CRNCYX

·
Registered
3 Posts
GLC 350e in order

Good day.

Im a norwegian dude who in december put in an order for a GLC 350e 4Matic SUV. Amg line in and out, night package and fully loaded(absolutely everything). Color is Designo Matt Brown. 20" winter, 22" summer.

It was said I would get it in July this year, but a spot opened in March, so my delievery is in March;) but because of that I dont get the leather on the dash;/

Ive have already ordered the Diamant grill(cause u dont get the diamont grill with the AMG line out on the SUV, only the Coupe... This will also be wrapped in the darkest grey there is(I dont like the blingbling and I have the nightpackage. Could have gone fully black on the grill, but my experience is when its all black it kind of fades away.

I also have ordered black original amg end pipes in the back. But here is my Question; I want to get the exhaust from the GLC 300 on my 350e, because the sound the 300 gives is magic!! Does anyone know if this is "plug and play"? And anyone know the cost?

Btw, I bought a CLA at the same time which was in the shop, just to have a cool car waiting for the GLC :D

-Lasse

·
Registered
412 Posts
Hi Klass,
I thought you had already taken the plunge and owned a GLC. I suppose the problem is a class action could take some time to resolve unless MB see sense. I'm tempted to get a 250 sport as they seem to be less effected than AMG Line models
Lower end trims are always the safe way out and with a product that's so new you might as well. Best to play it safe while vulnerability is high than to be risky and go through 6months-1 year of problems. Pick you poison :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts