Mercedes GLC Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else have an antifreeze odor especially after a drive on the freeway? My 2018 GLC43 has 18,000 miles and I just now noticed the smell. Can smell it mildly inside the car. Much stronger under the hood.

Being concerned I took into dealership who said this is normal and due to the plastic composite components. They said it might go away. They did do a press test and found no leaks.

I have never heard of any car with a normal antifreeze smell. Anyone else??

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm having same issue with my 2017 glc coupe. Never notice until recent oil change at dealer... they pretend to not smell anything..36k miles

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have smelled it also on occasion. I opened the hood and saw some dried antifreeze residue on the outside of the coolant tank. I took off the cap and retightened it but I feel like it was already tight to begin with. Not sure why some leaked out. It happened to me on my 2016 X3 and it had the same type of round coolant tank.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I also have noticed this coolant smell after pulling into my garage and walking round the front of the car , I have kept a check on the coolant level and it does seem to go down a little but I can't find any signs of seepage so I thought I would mention it at the next service . There is a seperate reservoir under the engine cover I assume for the water cooled intercooler , quite how that works I don't know . I tried to look for the spark plugs the other day think ing that might be a DIY job but I couldn't even find them , that engine is seriously complicated which is probably why it's so powerful.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts