Mercedes GLC Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Re auto stop and restart.
GLC 250D. Wagon, 2015/16.
recently I have noticed the auto stop, restart feature not working all the time, seems intermittent.
Tonight at a set of traffic lights it stopped when I stopped, but half way through the light cycle, with my foot still in the brake, the car restarted again.
Any suggestions as to why, symptom of another issue ? Capacitor ??
Thanks
馃槑

Super Moderator
Teckno, lots of parameters effect the stop/start feature, things like outside temperature and battery charge level, it only works when they all meet the criteria.

Registered
Initial idea it that enviro settings required engine to run. No real life experience as I'm still waiting for delivery.

Registered
Hi Teckno, as Phil and LostCause said, the car will restart the engine as and when it needs too. I've had a few cars with this on from Audi, BMW, Mini, VW and they have all done this, just some seem to be better or worse than others at managing it, my BMW wouldn't turn the engine off if it had had 2 stop start events within a certain time period for example.

One thing that might be worth checking is the condition of the battery, if it is failing this will effect how the stop start operates as it does put quite a strain on the battery

Super Moderator
This may help:

Registered
I've seen that presenter before...

Registered
i notice that i will need to drive the vehicle about 10 minutes or so during the winter months for the start/stop to activate. at a very long light, or at a long light where it had stopped at a light prior and it stopped, the car would restart while waiting at the light.

it also seemed to auto-stop at a light less in the summer when AC is on. also seemed to restart at long lights more often. - im assuming that the A/C takes more power than perhaps the heat

Registered
One thing is sure, you just can't consistently predict when Stop/Start will be available to you because of all the criteria needing to be met. The facility is primarily there because manufacturers need a way of substantiating their ridiculous fuel consumption figures as well as keeping the engine in the lowest VED tax band. In the real world Stop/Start adds very little and serves more as an irritation. You have paid for a far beefier battery and an uprated starter motor which can handle all the additional engine cranking going on. TBH, life is a lot easier if you just program it to OFF in "Individual" mode, that way it only needs disabling every 4 hours and not every time you start the car.

Registered
Had same issue. Took my 250d to local dealer and they have implemented a software update. So far it has been successful, giving over 95% application of the stop.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts