Mercedes GLC Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

I have a GLC that I purchased in Mar 2016.

For the last 3-4 months, I have been consistently getting warning messages on the dash, in the phone app and through email that the battery charge is critical and it requires charging.

No matter how far I drive, sometime after I park the car, i will receive these warning messages.

This Saturday I drove the car around for 3 hrs, afterwards i checked the battery with a multimeter, it showed 12.06v, I then checked it again the next day, 20hrs later it showed 11.9v.

Today the car is in the Mercedes garage for a 2nd time to check the battery, I just received a call from the workshop to say all fine, nothing wrong with the battery... It just needs charging... The issue is your driving style... Upon questioning I am told the diagnostic equipment reports no errors.... After more questioning I am told that the battery has indeed changed characteristics as it is getting older, but there are no errors with diagnostic equipment, etc,etc, after more discussion I've asked for the service manager to call me... Alas I know what will happen, Mercedes will claim no issue and will not fix what ever is causing the problem, be it the battery, the alternator or something draining the battery.

Now my point is, I have not changed my driver style for the whole period of the GLC ownership, Mercedes however blame my driving style. However my driving style was perfectly fine for 2 yrs without issue. Therefore logic dictates that the charging characteristics are not sufficient after 2yrs of aging components to charge the battery enough to support my driving style.

In my mind Mercedes should be replacing parts to allow the charging characteristics to support my style of driving.

How do I get Mercedes to do something about this problem?

Regards

Richard.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Sounds like blaming the issue on your driving characteristics is a cop out. Surely there must be some sort of issue with whatever is monitoring your battery levels, and its not reading its status correctly. If they cant identify anything through diagnostics though, I don't know what your next step could be.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have seen other posts where folk have had Battery issues , somewhat earlier than you would expect in the life of a car battery. In most occasions the dealer replaced the battery. Which may or may not have been the issue!!.

However a couple of posts, the dealer service department dug a bit deeper and found some 'high resistance cable' problem with the connection to the battery. On the 'earth' side I think. Not sure if this is the main battery lead to the vehicle body or part of the sensor arrangement.

Maybe discuss with the service dept to look at the connection leads to the battery.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts