Mercedes GLC Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
with many users doing less mileage at the moment has any one suggestions as to the best trickle charger to use and experiences with such chargers.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I’m amongst the many that hasn’t moved the car in almost 6 weeks
I have a ctek Mxs7.0, which is highly rated, whilst the MXS5.0 will do an equal job!
Whilst there is many cheaper intelligent chargers that may work equally as well, I’m now circa 4 years into ownership and still it provides reliable service, so very much paid for itself, I have the comfort leads and really should think about fitting....

·
Registered
492 Posts
Coincidentally Red Ken emailed me yesterday afternoon to tell me to connect a charger. You won't go wrong with the recommendation from @snrbrtsn. The Swedish company Ctek invented the concept of the smart charger and is certainly the market leader here in the UK. The 7 amp version is around £100 and the 5 amp version about £80 in Halfrauds. If you don't want to go out, Amazon is your friend.

I've always kept my 4 motorbikes on an Optimate smart charger and the perpetual monitoring and conditioning does prolong battery life by reducing the sulphation that ends up shorting the plates. My TVR is hooked up to an Ultimate Speed smart charger which was obtained from Lidl for the princely sum of £13.99 about 5 years ago. I can't fault it.

Red Ken is coming up to 4 years old soon and I suspect the original battery is now beginning to show its age. The Stop/Start hasn't functioned for over a year but I consider that a bonus. The battery capacity has been reduced because even using a tyre inflator via the auxilllary sockets causes power to be shut off within a minute or so as the sensor detects a significant voltage drop due to the current draw. A GLC replacement battery certainly doesn't come cheap, especially if the Stealer fits it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Coincidentally Red Ken emailed me yesterday afternoon to tell me to connect a charger. You won't go wrong with the recommendation from @snrbrtsn. The Swedish company Ctek invented the concept of the smart charger and is certainly the market leader here in the UK. The 7 amp version is around £100 and the 5 amp version about £80 in Halfrauds. If you don't want to go out, Amazon is your friend.

I've always kept my 4 motorbikes on an Optimate smart charger and the perpetual monitoring and conditioning does prolong battery life by reducing the sulphation that ends up shorting the plates. My TVR is hooked up to an Ultimate Speed smart charger which was obtained from Lidl for the princely sum of £13.99 about 5 years ago. I can't fault it.

Red Ken is coming up to 4 years old soon and I suspect the original battery is now beginning to show its age. The Stop/Start hasn't functioned for over a year but I consider that a bonus. The battery capacity has been reduced because even using a tyre inflator via the auxilllary sockets causes power to be shut off within a minute or so as the sensor detects a significant voltage drop due to the current draw. A GLC replacement battery certainly doesn't come cheap, especially if the Stealer fits it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. Looks like a CTEK will be winging its way to me soon.
On a point of use, would it be prudent to ensure that the car is shut and locked ie powered down before switching on the charger or not ? always a bit wary with all the electronics onboard these days.
Thanks again,.

·
Registered
492 Posts
It's up to you. The charger is only doing the same job as your alternator does as you drive along. The only drain when parked up is coming from the various sensors which are monitoring the car's status. The intelligent charger is just looking at the voltage drop and keeping the battery topped up. Keeping the car locked when not in use is more likely to be an insurance requirement. I had Red Ken hooked up to the cheapo Lidl charger overnight and he is fine again this morning.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Whilst I haven’t lifted the bonnet, plan later today
Re the charge points, I have the ctek comfort leads with eyelets, do you think these can be bolted on?

·
Registered
492 Posts
I think your Ctek will probably have M8 eyelets. Here's a photo of what you will see when the battery cover is removed. You could probably just connect directly to the battery terminals and feed the lead out from under the cover to keep things simple.

·
Registered
129 Posts
All done and back to full health, took 6 hours
Used the crocodile clips and refrained from intrusively pulling covers, though thanks for picture
Your correct, m8 eyelets, though still fit the m6 battery bolts (I had it fitted on last car)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well CTEK CT5 arrived this morning, so thanks for the recommendation. it looks like a well made piece of kit, very similar to the mercedes OEM charger. albeit without the mercedes label and price !

·
Registered
129 Posts
Oddly the build quality was one of my first thoughts when I took it out the box
I believe many manufacturers rebranded them and sell at inflated pricing

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2016 GLC 220 . I wish I had spotted this before I bought my RING RCB208 charger! I can only get to the +ve terminal on my battery and am advised to connect the -ve lead to the chassis. Where do I do this? Is it the bronze-coloured nut near to the battery? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I never went to battery, primarily as years of BMW’s with intelligent battery sensors
regardless I used the jump starting point (poorly) highlighted in picture
note - Internet Picture screenshot

·
Registered
3 Posts
I never went to battery, primarily as years of BMW’s with intelligent battery sensors
View attachment 3348
View attachment 3348
many thanks for your reply! I THINK I see where you mean.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts