Mercedes GLC Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I am not very car literate so go gently with me!
I bought a new GLC in Dec 2019. I have driven it up and down the country and clocked about 3-4k miles on it.
I noticed in late April that there were stains on the chrome trim.
After waiting for a call back I finally spoke to my dealer and they advised me that the staining is down to someone not using diluted washing liquid at a hand wash station.....news to me as its never been to one which I pointed out.
They said as multiple parts were damaged it was not faulty and therefore would not be under warranty.
Its going in next month for an inspection and the dealer said it should just buff out but I am concerned I am going to end up with a bill for something I don't feel I should be paying for when the car was brand new and I had not used any chemicals on it! I would have thought it should withstand normal road use? Otherwise they are selling a product that isn't fit for purpose?
Appreciate any help/advice so I can have an open conversation with them as I don't want to be unfair to anyone.
Many thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Are the stains rust coloured? If so then that's a fairly common issue with chrome trim, particularly on the grill. It should come off if you give it a wash using a decent shampoo and then dry with a microfibre cloth

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks SillyDeity. I will give that a go. I forgot to include some photos on my post. :) Seems a bit disappointing to have this issue only after a few months of use!

·
Registered
4 Posts
You are going to be disappointed. It will not come off. We started seeing the issue on the trim around the windows. The dealer said the same thing, basically, the automatic and maybe the hand wand at the commercial car washes use very strong detergent. It damages the shiny metals. They are not real chrome, like in the past. This and the lack of a spare tire, this was the reason we got rid of our GLC and went to the GLE. I hand wash the GLE with Meguiar's.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi there,

I used autosol chrome cleaner with a micro fibre towel - lots of elbow grease and meguiars compound polish with a high speed hand held polishing machine on mine which I recently acquired. The chrome was beginning to look spotty and dull - think I managed to catch it just in time . The polishing machine with a fine black polishing pad made all the difference.

Hello
I am not very car literate so go gently with me!
I bought a new GLC in Dec 2019. I have driven it up and down the country and clocked about 3-4k miles on it.
I noticed in late April that there were stains on the chrome trim.
After waiting for a call back I finally spoke to my dealer and they advised me that the staining is down to someone not using diluted washing liquid at a hand wash station.....news to me as its never been to one which I pointed out.
They said as multiple parts were damaged it was not faulty and therefore would not be under warranty.
Its going in next month for an inspection and the dealer said it should just buff out but I am concerned I am going to end up with a bill for something I don't feel I should be paying for when the car was brand new and I had not used any chemicals on it! I would have thought it should withstand normal road use? Otherwise they are selling a product that isn't fit for purpose?
Appreciate any help/advice so I can have an open conversation with them as I don't want to be unfair to anyone.
Many thanks
HI

·
Registered
5 Posts
You are going to be disappointed. It will not come off. We started seeing the issue on the trim around the windows. The dealer said the same thing, basically, the automatic and maybe the hand wand at the commercial car washes use very strong detergent. It damages the shiny metals. They are not real chrome, like in the past. This and the lack of a spare tire, this was the reason we got rid of our GLC and went to the GLE. I hand wash the GLE with Meguiar's. View attachment 3458

1 - 7 of 7 Posts