Mercedes GLC Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

I am in between of buying either CLS or GLC coupe. I do want a sporty vehicle without compromising comfort. I like to sit a bit higher than the normal cars for both visibility and to avoid direct headlights. However, i also like to have a comfortable ride with as much handling as possible.

I want to buy a GLC for these reasons but i afraid SUV's comfort/handling level is less than standart cars because they are taller. I am going to get airmatic on both vehicles so which one do u guys suggest?

PS: I am not gonna do off-road kind of thing though we have tons of potholes in my country.

Thanks

·
Registered
467 Posts
Hi Alaattin and welcome to the forum. Asking the question here is probably going to get you a somewhat biased response as we are all GLC owners and most of us probably don't have any experience of the CLS. The GLC will give you that commanding driving position you desire and you will benefit from 4MATIC and a 9G-Tronic gearbox. The Air Body Control does make a significant difference to the ride quality IMHO. I drove an E-Class on steel springs last week and was immediately reminded how much better my GLC is. What is very noticeable is the more pronounced effect ABC has when selecting the various drive modes. Sport+ tightens up the handling far more with ABC than you would get with a steel sprung GLC so you will have a much more engaging driving experience. Although physics dictates the body roll has to be more than that of the CLS, you will have better ground clearance for those potholes. Here in the UK most of the CLS range still comes with the older 7G-Tronic gearbox and the lack of 4MATIC means relying more on skill to make rapid progress. On the other hand, the CLS is a real driver's car and at the end of the day you could always sit on a cushion :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If i go for cls, it will 350 diesel and 9g-tronic and 4 matic, probably 2016 second hand. If i pick GLC, it will be 250 or 300 and new. There may be problems for getting 300 model though since dealer doesnt sell it in my country.

It sucks that i cant test drive GLC with airmatic since there is non :(

It is going to be a though choice for me.

One other thing, i heard that there is that scrubbing problem. Does it still happening? I am going to get one with 19 wheels for max comfort so does it also happens with those wheels?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Tyre scrubbing as you call it only affects RHD models. At full steering lock the tyres can skip sideways. Mercedes has offered to swop tyres to a more pliable All-Season tyre which absorbs the lateral forces and masks the problem better. Have a look at the Mercedes Clonking thread on here. It currently runs to some 712 posts! The phenomenon is worse with larger rims since the tyres fitted have a lower profile and cnosequently don't have as much flex in them.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Maybe that's why I have been seeing a growing amount of regular folks getting aftermarket wheel and tire sets. Nothing special though, just set of similar spec to OEM, enough to reduce the OE's flaws.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts