Mercedes GLC Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it has taken me about 20 months to reap the benefits of ticking the £1695 Drivers Assistance Package option on the GLC Configurator. We were heading off to Anglesey for a 3-night birthday break when, about 30 miles out of Hereford and traveling at 60mph, some d1ckhead suddenly decided he needed to turn right and slammed on his brakes. The Honda Jazz behind him immediately went into a skid on the wet road but just managed to pull up without a rear impact. Red Ken's radar worked out the closing speed was too rapid for me to deal with so took over the braking for me. I could feel the brake pedal being rapidly modulated under my foot and the car stopped about a foot short of the rear of the Jazz.

I didn't even have time to breathe a sigh of relief when I again heard the sound of tyres sliding on a wet road but this time behind me. This time the radar anticipated an impact so applied the brakes to prevent the car rolling forward and activated the hazard warning lights. From inside the car the impact sounded so load I expected to find the tailgate directly behind the front seats! When I got out to inspect the devastation my flab has never been so ghasted!!! Red Ken was totally intact and unmarked. Citroen Berlingo Lady had hit him squarely on the black ABS inlay which had subsequently deformed and then just sprung back into position. Result!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
1,144 Posts
Good to hear that you are ok Toobad, also to hear the system works.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi Toobad, glad you are all ok, its ridiculous some of the the manoeuvres people pull on the roads because "they" might be inconvenienced.

It might be worth checking the underside of your car and inside the spare wheel well for any sign of panel damage, I had someone run into the back of my X5 and every thing looked alright from the outside. I was lucky (!?) that the person who hit me was an off duty traffic cop and he suggested where to look for damage and we found there was some internal panel damage.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Visa, just been outside to do exactly that and thankfully everything is still where it should be. It looks like being hit square and centre has dissipated the impact across the rear valance.

You must be counting down those sleeps until the 63 arrives. I bet your first set of all-season tyres won't make it past the 1000 miles running-in period in that tyre-shredding monster. >:)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Good to hear, sounds like the bumpers their job :cool:

Mercedes seem to be reluctant to give me a build date for the 63, which is somewhat frustrating, but when I do get it those tyres are in for some serious abuse :grin2:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts