Mercedes GLC Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a scare today when I noticed that my command screen on my 2019 GCL 300 went black. When I put the car in reverse, it worked fine, but when I started driving, the navigation screen, the radio screen and the media screen was black. After I got home a few minutes later, I turned my SUV off and on again couple of times, and each time it was black. The only time the screen came on was when I pressed the 360 degree FOV or put the car in reverse. That told me that the screen worked, just something else wasn't working. I went online to see if anyone else has a similar problem. On MBworld, I found a thread on it. Someone mentioned that the volume button also acts as a power button. I went back out to the SUV, powered it on and tried that. Again it did not work. For a moment there I thought I might have to take my new Benz in to have it service. I then took a closer look at the layout of the console near the armrest, and saw there was a power button. I pressed it, and it worked. Command screen came back to life. Up until now, I did not notice there was a power button there. That same power button turn the command screen off and effectively turn off the entire command console, navigation, radio and media off. This also reminded me of a thread that someone posted awhile back asking if there was a way to turn off the radio. I believed more than one person replied was to hit the mute button and that worked similar to turning off the radio. At the time, I thought that was a silly design by Mercedes. Now that I know there IS a power button, whether it be an actual power button or a power button built into the volume knob, I'm the one now who feels silly. As to how I managed to turn off my command screen without knowing it, it was because I put a small bag of items I bought from Lowes and one of the items was just enough to hit the power button and turned it off.

Stargazer.
Clear sky

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wow....thank you so much. Exactly the same problem. Thought it may be a power save feature as the car had been parked up for a while. Put it on charge over night. Grumpy OH when we still has the no screen. Now realise that we must have accidentally powered off when we cleaned the interior prior to parking the car up....phew

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wow THANK you so much. Cleaned my car last night and today the screen was black and driving me nuts. Who knew that the push to mute Volume on the console would be the power button. Embarrassing once you see the power symbol on it though.
Matt

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a scare today when I noticed that my command screen on my 2019 GCL 300 went black. When I put the car in reverse, it worked fine, but when I started driving, the navigation screen, the radio screen and the media screen was black. After I got home a few minutes later, I turned my SUV off and on again couple of times, and each time it was black. The only time the screen came on was when I pressed the 360 degree FOV or put the car in reverse. That told me that the screen worked, just something else wasn't working. I went online to see if anyone else has a similar problem. On MBworld, I found a thread on it. Someone mentioned that the volume button also acts as a power button. I went back out to the SUV, powered it on and tried that. Again it did not work. For a moment there I thought I might have to take my new Benz in to have it service. I then took a closer look at the layout of the console near the armrest, and saw there was a power button. I pressed it, and it worked. Command screen came back to life. Up until now, I did not notice there was a power button there. That same power button turn the command screen off and effectively turn off the entire command console, navigation, radio and media off. This also reminded me of a thread that someone posted awhile back asking if there was a way to turn off the radio. I believed more than one person replied was to hit the mute button and that worked similar to turning off the radio. At the time, I thought that was a silly design by Mercedes. Now that I know there IS a power button, whether it be an actual power button or a power button built into the volume knob, I'm the one now who feels silly. As to how I managed to turn off my command screen without knowing it, it was because I put a small bag of items I bought from Lowes and one of the items was just enough to hit the power button and turned it off.

Stargazer.
Clear sky
I’m having the same issue and I’ve tried tapping and holding down power button and nothing!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been having this issue for a year with my 2019 C300 and learned about the power button as well. But this is NOT my issue. My screen will just go blank but the power to the radio, etc is still on. I sometimes can push the console power button on and off several times and it will power up. Last time I had to pull over, turn off the engine and start the car back up.

I have taken my car to the dealership 5 times. They replaced the computer last time but it is still happening. It is currently at the shop AGAIN and they are doing more updates. I do not believe this will solve the screen going blank problem. Any other thoughts? I am very over this.....I feel like they just think I am crazy!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello everyone. I had a problem with my 2016 GLC command screen as well. There were times of which i started the car engine and the command screen went black. No buttons were working apart from the air condition. I tried to switch off the car engine and turn back on with no response. I also tried to push the off button, even hold it for some time, again with no response. The command screen recovers after some time on its own. I took the car to the official Mercendes car service in my home country and they just reboot the electronics and told me hopefully the error will not return. If it returns i will have to change the radio console which is approx. 1800euro. And i was wondering.. is it reasonable after four years the car to have such a problem? Is anybody else having a similar problem? Does anybody found a solution to the problem? Thank you

·
Registered
21 Posts
Anna, I have the same problem with my Command Screen. It has been into the garage and they reloaded the software, however this has not resolved the issue, it is back into the garage on Monday for further inspection. This is an extremely intermittent issue and it can go weeks without it occurring. The last time it occurred I drove to the garage and had a technician come out to look at it - he had not seen this issue before. The car is also going in for an annoying rattle on the drivers window and a creaking rightsize rear suspension! The car is not even 12 months old and has only covered 3k miles. This is my second GLC and the quality of build seems to have slipped. I will let you know how I get on with the Command Screen issue

·
Registered
4 Posts
Pressing and holding the eject button on the CD player also reboots the system, I've had the blank screen happen once and I tried the reboot and it worked.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Pressing and holding the eject button on the CD player also reboots the system, I've had the blank screen happen once and I tried the reboot and it worked.
I have tried this as well with no response. When the command screen goes black, no button in that console seems to work. Only the air condition button is working. Thank you though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Anna, I have the same problem with my Command Screen. It has been into the garage and they reloaded the software, however this has not resolved the issue, it is back into the garage on Monday for further inspection. This is an extremely intermittent issue and it can go weeks without it occurring. The last time it occurred I drove to the garage and had a technician come out to look at it - he had not seen this issue before. The car is also going in for an annoying rattle on the drivers window and a creaking rightsize rear suspension! The car is not even 12 months old and has only covered 3k miles. This is my second GLC and the quality of build seems to have slipped. I will let you know how I get on with the Command Screen issue
Thank you Ian very much for your reply. When they called me to pick up my car from the garage, they told me that they found the problem. But when i went to pick it up, i realised that they have just reloaded the software with an extra charge, hoping the issue to be resolved. When i took the car in the garage and expained to them the problem, they seemed puzzled. I believe they have no idea on how to resolve this, despite the fact that from what i see in this forum there are other people with similar problems as ours. I have even asked them whether official Mercendes came up with a recall since it seems to me that it is a default and not a problem created by usage, but the answer was negative. Hope you get lucky

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2017 C300 Mercedes and this happened to me today, the screen went black but music continued to play. I was able to turn the music on and off but the screen remained black. I also noticed the A for the eco engine shut off didn't work. The green light on the button wasn't there no matter how many times I pushed the button. The AC red light was on but nothing else. I restarted my car twice and it didn't fix the issue. Now three hours later it's back to normal. The other thing that happens occasionally is I get a message "no memory card containing navigation software inserted" however it is there and worked just fine an hour prior. We are taking It to the dealership Friday and can show video of the issues today but what are the chances they tell me nothings wrong? Is there a known recall?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2017 C300 Mercedes and this happened to me today, the screen went black but music continued to play. I was able to turn the music on and off but the screen remained black. I also noticed the A for the eco engine shut off didn't work. The green light on the button wasn't there no matter how many times I pushed the button. The AC red light was on but nothing else. I restarted my car twice and it didn't fix the issue. Now three hours later it's back to normal. The other thing that happens occasionally is I get a message "no memory card containing navigation software inserted" however it is there and worked just fine an hour prior. We are taking It to the dealership Friday and can show video of the issues today but what are the chances they tell me nothings wrong? Is there a known recall?
About the A for the eco engine shutting off, i have the same issue as well. They told me in the garage that the battery of the car weakened and it is the first thing shutting of in order to preserve the battery for the other main significant operations. An option was to replace it or wait until an error message appears that would suggest replacement. I chose the second option. Alternatively, i notice when i take the car in the high way for long distances the button appears green again. Hope this was helpful.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thank you Ian very much for your reply. When they called me to pick up my car from the garage, they told me that they found the problem. But when i went to pick it up, i realised that they have just reloaded the software with an extra charge, hoping the issue to be resolved. When i took the car in the garage and expained to them the problem, they seemed puzzled. I believe they have no idea on how to resolve this, despite the fact that from what i see in this forum there are other people with similar problems as ours. I have even asked them whether official Mercendes came up with a recall since it seems to me that it is a default and not a problem created by usage, but the answer was negative. Hope you get lucky
When I picked my car up on Monday, I completely forgot it went in for Command Screen issue as I was more concerned with my rattling window and creaking suspension, so forgot to ask what they had done to the Command system! I phoned the garage and asked what they had done; the answer was that another software update had been applied, apparently this one is different to the first one.... it took three and half hours to download ( the first one took over four hours) - so I can only hope this resolves the issue, the only problem being this is an extremely intermittent issue. Fortunately it is still under warranty.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Unfortunately no CD player in my GLC - think it was removed on the face lift, with some other small changes like, all usb ports are now usb C

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All
Yesterday my command screen went black in my 2018 GLC300. All the functions seemed to be working but I couldn’t find a way to get it back on. I called the dealer immediately. The service centre response was “yes that does happen” and asked that I come in for a software upgrade. In the mean time we shut the car off and left it for about 30 minutes and the screen came back on.
When I left it today they called me an hour later and said that the software was already up to date and the cause was an intermittent short. The whole “head unit” has to be replaced which they will do in two days. Thankfully it was under warranty or the charge would have been $6000 (CAD). I’ve also had an issue with voice recognition - one minute it works perfectly and then it doesn’t recognize anything. I’ve asked about this before and received no useful response. The service rep. now said thr controller issue could be a cause for that as well.
If it happens to you I would take it in immediately- particularly if it’s under warranty. Mercedes knows this is happening and should be issuing a recall rather than waiting for cars to be out of warranty and then charging a fortune to fix it.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Stargazer.
Clear sky
Thank you so much for this!! I had my dog in my S560 and he stepped on the center console region and my display went black! Like you I tried turning car off, powering down. Your info was perfect! I didn’t notice the power button before! 🤦🏻‍♀️

·
Registered
1 Posts

Stargazer.
Clear sky
Thanks so much for this post. The same thing happened to me: navigation, radio and CarPlay not working but reverse and all around cameras working fine. I called my local Mercedes dealership, and they told me to bring my car in. On a hunch, I googled the issue and found your post. It took one minute to get in the car, start it, and press the power button--everything is working. Thanks again!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts