Mercedes GLC Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm still waiting for my GLC 350d. I've now contacted MB Customers Services, as it's been sitting in a port in Zeebrugge (as far as I know) for a month now with the "delay" flag.

My dealer have been unable to help as Mercedes don't seem very good at communications and don't seem to like any questions. (As a reminder it was build towards end of August, shipped on 10th Sept from Finland, went through Bremmerhaven on 12th September)

Today I spoke with MB CS and guess what? They don't know why it has the delay flag either. I managed to get them to tell me it has been built, well that's a step forward! My Dealer speaks to MBUK who in turn speak to the factory. The Factory say "it's been built and despatched". Right, that's understood, but when I ask why it's been delayed no one seems to know.

They will now speak to the Factory (who will no doubt say it's been built). I wonder at what stage they realise they've had a car sitting in the port? I think i've been really patient, actually I've probably been too patient. All I get is; "We know it must be frustrating Sir, we're just as frustrated as you". They of course then suggest I could cancel if I wanted and get my deposit back? What and wait 5 months for a Mexican Q5? That's no option at all.

Anyway, I'm just venting my spleen. Actually I'm not really angry, I just can't believe something could go so wrong without anyone really knowing what's going on.. Hopefully MBCS will get something moving, I'll go and get the car myself if it helps :nerd::smile2:

Graham

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi Graham.

My experience is now identical to yours as despite being "promised" the car for the 21st September I am still waiting. There have been multiple date changes since then and I'm now told it will be here on the 26th.

I've also contacted Mercedes customer services who told me that they didn't know what was happening but would find out from the "AMG Team" and I would hear something back within 5 working days (by next Monday). The CS person did say that there should be no reason they can't find out what the hold-up is and Mercedes operate a policy of transparency when it comes to things like this but it doesn't feel that way.

With all this going on, the potential crabbing issue, the air bag recall and the BMW X3 M40i on the horizon I'm starting to wonder if I've made the right choice!

Did your dealer tell you that the car is currently in Zeebrugge or did you ascertain that yourself? I've tracked mine to Bremerhaven on the 12th September using the VIN and have assumed it's still there.

·
Super Moderator
1,144 Posts
What model have you ordered Draven?.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re Zeebrugge: I saw it on the Dealers screen when I visited to sort out the paperwork. It was meant to be at the dealer on 25th Sept. The frustrating thing is it's been a car for a whole month now - probably should be subject to some depreciation :)
I'm still happy I've made the right choice for me.

At one point MBCS said to me "There's no problem" to which I explained as politely as I could that from my point of view there very definitely was a problem. He never mentioned Zeebrugge though. So if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes I'd be doubting it..

·
Super Moderator
1,144 Posts
Same as you Phil, GLC43.
May be the all season tyre issue Draven, I know it's frustrating but when you get the car it will be worth it, I have owned many, many cars but this one stands out.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've now had my call back from the "AMG Team".

They stated exactly the same facts as have previously been mentioned (the factory is on a rolling block, it's a quality control issue but they don't know what, it's not just GLCs that are affected and it covers more than one factory) and went on to say that "they expect things to start moving early next month".

A goodwill gesture will apparently be forthcoming but not until I have received the car so they can see exactly how long I had to wait.

If the quality control issues cover multiple models and multiple factories and are serious enough to cause this type of delay I just don't believe that they (MBCS) don't know what the cause is and I feel like I'm being lied to.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've now had my call back from the "AMG Team".

If the quality control issues cover multiple models and multiple factories and are serious enough to cause this type of delay I just don't believe that they (MBCS) don't know what the cause is and I feel like I'm being lied to.
Maybe, maybe not. I can understand that MB would prefer to irritate us waiting on an order, than have The Daily Mail pump out headlines about it's cars being unsafe, son they contain the message. It's believable to me that MBCS haven't been told any detail, exactly so they can't reveal it under pressure from customers.

I think it stinks, but I can understand it.

I have my car now, and it too was delayed because of a Rolling Block. I suppose it could be a different issue.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Maybe, maybe not. I can understand that MB would prefer to irritate us waiting on an order, than have The Daily Mail pump out headlines about it's cars being unsafe, son they contain the message. It's believable to me that MBCS haven't been told any detail, exactly so they can't reveal it under pressure from customers.

I think it stinks, but I can understand it.

I have my car now, and it too was delayed because of a Rolling Block. I suppose it could be a different issue.
That's a fair point.

How are you getting on with yours?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Haven't had much time in it yet. 30-40 miles so its early days.

Ultimately this car has been purchased to hand over to my wife a year from now, so it reflects her preferences rather than my own. I'm almost afraid to say it on this forum.....but I just don't get the SUV thing. I like an estate and I think SUV 's offer less car, with worse ride quality, for more money and poorer running costs. But these are personal preferences and if I put those aside, I do think it's a nice car and I looked at all the competition. This cabin, whilst not quite at the same quality as the e-class, is certainly better than it's contemporaries.

- Interior is class beating from what I have seen. It is a nice environment. But it is a notable (half) step down from the E-Class, which, assuming I could negotiate the same level of discount off list, is the same price.
- Storage is better than ok. Door pockets and armrest stowage is large. I don't know why there's a 12V plug taking up space near the cupholders. The E-Class used this space as a key holder. The glove box isn't big and there's no under dash stowage over on the drivers side, which feels like a wasted opportunity. Boot is a good size space with very welcome back hooks.
- Coming from a 5 series M-sport with run-flats, the standard wheels look so strange with big fat tyres. I'm not used to it. But the drive quality is excellent as a result. Absolutely the right choice for us.
- The parking brake doesn't auto engage when you turn off the engine. This is going to cause me an accident for sure. The 4 cars we've had over the past 7 years all do this, and I think it's a deficiency. The E-class loaner I had did it so it's not a MB thing.
- The ambient lights are only OK. By comparison, the e class had about 50 different colours and light wrapped all around the interior of the car. GLC doesn't extend across the dash and only has 3 colours, but since all the seat buttons are backlit orange and don't change, in reality you can only choose the orange option or it looks daft.
- Drive quality is very, very good
- No spare wheel is great for storage but is a bit of a worry
- The wave your foot to open the boot thing is cool.

Reactions: gb93616

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I didn't get a call back from MBCS, so I called them again today - and Wow, I wish I hadn't bothered. They had no information, absolutely can't tell me anything. They can't tell me why it's delayed they can't tell me when it's going to arrive. They've had two days to find out something.

It's really like no other experience I've had in life and these are premium products.

I get a horrible sinking feeling that MB actually don't care, that's the overall feeling I'm left with. It's actually laughable and I'm doing all I can to not make it spoil the experience. It's like everyone else knows something I don't and no one will tell me. Someone know's exactly why the car has been delayed in the port.

All very odd, very secretive and very disappointing. More fool me for ordering one.

I did offer again to drive to Zeebrugge and pick it up, MBCS laughed and said that wouldn't be possible - I was being serious...

·
Registered
33 Posts
I didn't get a call back from MBCS, so I called them again today - and Wow, I wish I hadn't bothered. They had no information, absolutely can't tell me anything. They can't tell me why it's delayed they can't tell me when it's going to arrive. They've had two days to find out something.

It's really like no other experience I've had in life and these are premium products.

I get a horrible sinking feeling that MB actually don't care, that's the overall feeling I'm left with. It's actually laughable and I'm doing all I can to not make it spoil the experience. It's like everyone else knows something I don't and no one will tell me. Someone know's exactly why the car has been delayed in the port.

All very odd, very secretive and very disappointing. More fool me for ordering one.

I did offer again to drive to Zeebrugge and pick it up, MBCS laughed and said that wouldn't be possible - I was being serious...
When does the new BMW X3 arrive?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Very good point, I'll take a look...

·
Registered
61 Posts

Our experiences and feelings on the matter are so similar it's frightening!

Re: BMW X3, I've looked in to this today! The one I'd be after "should" be available from December so not actually that much longer to wait in the scheme of things. If it wasn't for the fact that I sold my own car in September and now rely on the Mercedes loan car for transport I'd be thinking more seriously about cancelling and ordering one of those. Perhaps I can talk BMW into loaning me something for the duration.....

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Maybe it's not the fact that it's delayed, more that they don't / can't tell us anything about it and this constant attitude of "yes we understand, we know how frustrating it is".

I've just spoken to my Son and he's had a new A Class on order for sometime he's got fed up with waiting so is now getting an new Audi A3, which will be available in 2 weeks. Interesting he was getting exactly the same obstructive unhelpful stance from MB.

I did mention to MBCS that a few customers in the US (on the mbworld.org site) had their cars manufactured after mine and they have already had them delivered. I might as well have been speaking to bowl of rice pudding - and a cold one at that.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for your comments, very interesting. Regarding the park brake; the last to Audi autos I have you have to put it into P(ark) using the gear level. I assume it's the same with the GLC (I cant remember). Most of the time I do that instead of using any "hand" brake.

·
Super Moderator
1,144 Posts
Thanks for your comments, very interesting. Regarding the park brake; the last to Audi autos I have you have to put it into P(ark) using the gear level. I assume it's the same with the GLC (I cant remember). Most of the time I do that instead of using any "hand" brake.
Just turn engine off in GLC and as you open door it goes into park, alternatively press button at end of gear lever stork, no messing about moving gear levers as I have to on my wifes new mini. Also in GLC it stays where it is in park but on mini unless you put the handbrake on it rolls a bit when just in park.

Reactions: gb93616

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just turn engine off in GLC and as you open door it goes into park, alternatively press button at end of gear lever stork, no messing about moving gear levers as I have to on my wifes new mini. Also in GLC it stays where it is in park but on mini unless you put the handbrake on it rolls a bit when just in park.
Thank you - I'm getting into the habit of pushing the button now. I must say, the transmission selector on the stalk is superb. I can't understand why every car isn't that way. I can't see any downside and it frees up space in the centre for storage and controls.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Whilst Phil's switch off/open door technique is the quickest way to exit the car, I still activate the handbrake switch, press the end of the gear stalk then press the Keyless Go button. Doing these 3 things becomes second nature and prevents potential "surprises" when using older cars equipped with less technology. I've also just paid the price of becoming over-reliant on Distronic. With it set to 40mph, I followed the car in front into the 30mph zone. He chose to do 35mph and Red Ken's tractor beam dragged us both past the traffic camera so now I get to experience the delights of a Speed Awareness Course. I think the guy in front should at least cover the cost of the course or Red Ken should go in my place. It had nothing to do with me, honest Officer. :p At least I can play up my village Bad Boy image now I'm a Person of Interest to "da Feds", innit. :D

Reactions: DH-glc43
1 - 20 of 74 Posts