Mercedes GLC Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I live in Atlanta, GA, USA. I am thinking of buying a GLC (not AMG, just a simple GLC, - Mercedes-Benz GLC-Class GLC 300). If I make the purchase, it will be my first MB and I am pretty psyched about it. The online reviews and youtube videos about crabbing with the GLC models are pretty discouraging. So, I was wondering if I could get some clarifications:

1. Does this problem occur with the Left Hand Drive vehicles sold in the US?
2. Are there any other glaring problems with the GLC?
3. The Used GLK prices have dropped down so much, that I almost want to buy it considering the value one would get for that price. Is GLK still a better / more stable model compared to GLC?

Would be glad if experienced users could share their thoughts about my concerns.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Someone mentioned this earlier this year, though I have no idea how far Mercedes is with fixing the crabbing problem. Seems to be more of a right hand drive problem?

Hi all I recently discussed this issue with my local dealer I have been told that MB has written to the dealerships to advise that they are testing new tyres and these would be replaced under warranty once they find the right spec

This sounds promising however they also said its a issue with the conversation from left to right hand drive and the set up is wrong and another fix is required as the tyres will only be a short term fix

Given the recent news on the recall I'm not impressed and not a happy customer

·
Registered
152 Posts
No reports of crabbing on Left Hand Drive GLC's

The MB engines are designed essentially for LHD vehicles, which appear to drive perfectly well. MB have then used the same engines for Right Hand Drive vehicles which has meant using a different Differential Box and moving the Front Axle in order to accommodate the steering column on RHD drive versions. Resulting in a fundamentally flawed RHD vehicle that Bounces, Crabs and Clonks - Yes the All Season tyres help mask the fault, but IT WILL ALWAYS BE THERE and cannot be fixed without a major redesign and huge costs that MB will not accept responsibility for.

Having said the above, my understanding was the problem is really only an issue on GLC's running on 20" & 21" wheels, and not noticeable on 17", 18" & 19" wheels - surprised Phil has experienced the fault.

Tony

·
Super Moderator
1,144 Posts
Hi Tony

If you go back on forums there are owners of RHD cars with the issue regardless of the wheel size, it isn't horrendous on my car and depends what surface I am on, but I haven't driven the car in low temperatures yet when the rubber hardens and fault becomes worse.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a brand new GLC AMG43 LH drive and the problem is really annoying and disappointing. 21” tires so
I don’t know if there’s an option to change the tires. I also have a loud brake noise when shifting into D. Just reading about the crabbing issue and I plan to take it in to the dealer. My husband also just bought an E63S and has the same issues but not as pronounced.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've had my glc43 since May and no issues with crabbing on 20" all season goodyears.

·
Registered
3 Posts
63 degrees today here in CA and I felt the crabbing while parking and pulling into my driveway. Definitely a problem and I cannot be the only one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello,

I live in Atlanta, GA, USA. I am thinking of buying a GLC (not AMG, just a simple GLC, - Mercedes-Benz GLC-Class GLC 300). If I make the purchase, it will be my first MB and I am pretty psyched about it. The online reviews and youtube videos about crabbing with the GLC models are pretty discouraging. So, I was wondering if I could get some clarifications:

1. Does this problem occur with the Left Hand Drive vehicles sold in the US?
2. Are there any other glaring problems with the GLC?
3. The Used GLK prices have dropped down so much, that I almost want to buy it considering the value one would get for that price. Is GLK still a better / more stable model compared to GLC?

Would be glad if experienced users could share their thoughts about my concerns.
In addition to the crabbing the brakes make a loud cranking sound when letting off. My service agent heard it but supposedly the technician could not reproduce it. I heard it as soon as I drove away. My last car was a Cayenne S and that or a Macan GTS will be my next car. Very disappointed so far with Mercedes.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I am in Vancouver, B.C. (Canada) and have a (LHD) 2018 GLC 43 Coupe with the 21" wheels and ContiSportContact 5 tires. It crabs really bad at temperatures below about 20C (68F). In the winter I run 20" wheels with Bridgestone Blizzak LM-32 tires and have no crabbing at all.

The brakes squealed quite badly from new. Had the pads replaced with a newer design under warranty during it's first A service. Now they don't squeal anymore.

Bluetooth doesn't play nice with my BlackBerry Passport even though the Password is certified by Mercedes as being a compatible device. Had it looked at and a report was sent to Germany. The responce from engineering was that they haven't recieved enough complaints from BlackBerry owners to warrant investigating a fix.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts