Mercedes GLC Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be making a change in the garage late summer 2020 and the GLC 43 is rising to the top of my considerations. I make short daily commutes but take some summer family road trips and we haul a boat on many of these trips. I love the look of the GLC 43 Coupe and will probably pursue that variant. I'll be pursuing a pre-owned '17-'18 model, will consider a 2016.

First, a couple questions:

• For the 2016, 2017, and 2018 model years, are there significant differences between them?
  • Was the coupe variant of the GLC 43 produced all 3 of those years?
  • Towing a boat, although not frequently, will be required of my GLC. Can any GLC tow or do I need to look specifically for those with factory tow packages (were there factory tow packages??)
  • Can anyone weigh on on how well this vehicle tows and launches a boat? My boat is small, a 17' performance run-about, it weighs around 3000lbs including trailer

Current cars:

• 2016 GLA45 (will stay stock forever,mainly the wife's car)
  • 2012 Wrangler (off-road built, my daily, this is what is getting replaced)
  • 2007 Shelby (built, weekend/fun raunchy car)

Here's what I'm after:
  • 2-4yo SUV, under 35k miles. Not interested in new and really prefer ~2yo (2017-2018 models)
  • Under $48k
  • Smallest possible SUV that meets other criteria (less than 186" and less than 4400lbs). I like a light, fun, and efficient car, but it needs to meet my other needs.
  • AWD, must be able to tow a small sport boat several times a year (less than 3000 lbs with trailer)
  • Decent ground clearance (to launch boat)
  • Fun, 0-60 in 5s or less, preferably 4.5 or less
  • Moderately efficient on gas, greatly prefer forced induction to displacement since I'm at 5400' altitude
  • Something that looks natural both on pavement and dirt.

Other considerations currently:

• Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT, 475hp 6.4L Hemi and 0-60 in 4.4s sound good, but 5100lbs curb weight and 13mpg and overall size a bit large for me
  • Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk, perfect size but missing most the fun factor.. wondering what aftermarket potential there is with the 2.0L turbo..
  • Audi SQ5, direct competitor of the GLC43, doesn't have the coupe variant, less ground clearance and less power-to-weight
  • BMW x3 m140i, this is currently my #2. I have a friend that runs a speed shop and he says the power on these is pretty under-rated from BMW and they make the best early torque of the Euro cars. Still, it's ~200 lbs heavier and makes less peak torque, but the speed shop says they are the easiest to mod, not that I plan on doing much modding to whatever I get.
  • GLC 63. Yeah I wish. Really need to stay in the $40k's.
  • Alfa Romeo Stelvio Quadrifoglio. Also a bit pricey for me, questionable reliability, not sure if it can tow.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

·
Premium Member
1,156 Posts
DON'T get the GLC43, it is a great car but the crabbing is HORRIFIC and there is no fix for it. Read the threads on this forum and you will see why you shouldn't get one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well holy crap! That's not good. Not sure I'm giving up yet but I sincerely appreciate the heads up! Does this happen on LHD drive GLC43's as much as it does RHD?

So we've got a 2016 GLA45. From MB it came with 20" wheels and 235/40/20 Contisport Contacts. I really don't like the harshness of the ride with that wheel/tire setup, nor do I like the rubber-band look. I've had a little bit of shuddering (crabbing?) at low speeds on near full steering lock, but nothing like the youtube video I just watched. Between November-March each year, I swap that 20" summer setup out with 18" Michelin x-ice snow tires/wheels and I don't think the shuddering exists at all on my GLA45 with the 18's. I still have the original 20" Conti's on that car and they have 10,708 original miles currently and they are just about shot, between 1.5-2/32nds (the wear bar is at 2/32's). It's shocking those OEM tires could not last 11k miles, and this car is driven gently by my wife. I attribute a lot of the wear due to just parking lot and driveway noises similar to what you describe. In our GLA45, it isn't a huge deal with the 20's and I've never seen it happen at more than 5mph... really don't think it exists at all when the 18's are on it.

So one of the things I'd do with my GLC 43 is swap out the tires/wheels anyhow. Since the vehicle will be launching a boat and driven in Colorado, and not raced, I will want to avoid any kind of 20-21" wheel setup.... one of my follow-up questions was going to be, what are the smallest diameter wheels the GLC 43 can accommodate? I don't car if I get a little more body roll or lose a little handling ability... I'd much prefer the look and ride of a more-rubber-less-wheel setup and I'm guessing that would go a long ways towards alleviating the crabbing??

I bought our GLA45 purely online, sight unseen, never drove it. 3 years later it's worked out well for us but now I'm concerned that may not be a good idea if I pursue a GLC43. Currently, my second choice is a '17-'18 BMW X3 m40i... I'll look a bit more into those.

Unfortunately I'm not interested in the other GLC variants. I want 0-60 in less than 5s (so regular GLC isn't appealing) and I want to spend under $48k (so GLC 63 out of budget).

·
Premium Member
1,156 Posts
Apologies, I should have seen where you are located, as far as I am aware you shouldn't have an issue with LHD 43. I would have bought another 43 if they could sort out the fault on RHD cars.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts