Mercedes GLC Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having had a GLC SE Exec for 3 years, today i took delivery of an urban edition on the understanding that it was more or less the equivalent car with some additions eg Android Auto!

In the main it is with one GLARING omission. The DAB radio. Yes, that is correct. The URBAN DOES NOT - yes DOES NOT - have a DAB radio!! It’s clear (ish) in the brochure but i presumed it wasn’t listed as it would be standard equipment but it really isn’t! Annoyingly the stations i listen to most LBC and 5 live and Talk Sport are predominantly DAB only unless you want the crackles of Medium Wave??? Medium wave really!!!???

I’m genuinely staggered at this “removal” as it was my understanding that every modern car especially a Mercedes, would have a DAB as standard given its now pretty old technology. Must be the first time in 15 years I’ve not had DAB and frankly I’d expect more from Mercedes! Smacks of unbelievable penny pinching!

Yes, it has Android Auto (my 3 year old one didnt) so i can get TuneIn radio but that comes with data charges!

Question is..... can it be retro fitted?? If so how? And how much??

Thanks for any help

Dave (amazed/staggered/disappointed)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Quite a few retro fit DAB systems out there that use your existing radio. They’re not quite as good as a manufacturer’s fitted one, but will get you through to the channels mentioned. That is quite unbelievable that no DAB is fitted as standard, v annoying. Expect the dealer looked blank when you mentioned it too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep i was very surprised but like i say my fault as i didnt fully read the brochure. Just seems nuts that there isn’t on as standard.

I’ll do a bit of research into a retro fit rascal. Presumably it would use one of the USB ports??

Thanks for your reply

·
Registered
23 Posts
We're awaiting our new Urban (due 31/7). The specs are a little unclear at times (doesn't mention it has electrically adjustable mirrors) but the lack of DAB, parking sensors and heated/folding mirrors have been noted. The sensors and mirror functions will be missed though the reversing camera compensates. I'm guessing that this is a paring down of the spec to hit a price point. Still some car though. Re DAB, where we live the reception can be poor and often I find there is no signal at all! Interested to hear about retrofits though especially if they are low cost!

·
Registered
40 Posts
No, it connects to several spare channels on your car radio and uses its own strongest signal via cable connection I guess (something an established co should do). I’ve had a few in recent years and they work well and certainly hold the dab signal better than on my glc (but that’s another ongoing saga!)

·
Registered
17 Posts
My last car was an A45 AMG which had the DAB fitted. It was terrible and I could never pick up a station unless I was in Leeds city centre and after that I was never going to have DAB again. My wife has an Audi A1 with DAB and it works perfect so when I got the GLC last year with DAB fitted I was concerned that it wasn't going to work just like the 45.

To my amazement it works perfect and only drops out in a few locations but always comes back after a few seconds. I think the antenna in the GLC is far superior to the A45 which had its in the rear window.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My wife's GLC Urban does not have DAB but we had noted that prior to buying it. The bigger misses from the spec are the heated/folding mirrors and parking sensors (it has a reversing camera but front sensors are pretty helpful).

I have an E220d AMG line with DAB but TBH I struggle to get any DAB signals whilst in the car (NE Scotland).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts