Mercedes GLC Forum banner

Dash Cam

28K views 34 replies 14 participants last post by  Green1434 
#1 ·
Anybody wired in front and rear dash cams themselves?
Any video's photo's of pillar removal ,cable routes and fuse box tie-in's very welcome.

Really surprised these camera's are not factory fitted now.

Thanks

#2 ·
I'd be interested to know as well.

Can't be too long before it's an option especially when you have the 360 cameras fitted. Surely they could incorporate the software to record on to a partition on the existing HDD or to a memory card without too much additional cost.

Reactions: Gallacpt
#6 ·
HI ,
I have installed the Blackvue 750S 2ch dash cam not long ago , it pretty easy to do as long you have patience, specially the rear end dash , because it very fiddly to insert the wire thru the rubber grommet to make it snappy, the rest is easy , no panels to be taken out. Located my front dash cam at the passenger side visor ( Australia is right hand drive BTW) then insert the cables thru the roof lining all the way to the back using a plastic spatula ( what ever you call it), then to power up , I use the back fuse box located under the cover you"ll see it when you open the cover.
Good Luck ..
Here's the link .
https://mbworld.org/forums/glc-class-x253/619780-dash-cams-glc.html

Reactions: Gallacpt
#7 ·
Removal of rear panels to get rear cam in place.

I have managed to get the front cam working, but how do I route the rear camera cable. OK to get it to the back of the car, but threading it through the rubber with so many other wires inside and then how do I get the large panels off without damaging them. The rubber with the wires inside seems to start under the felt at the rear of the car! Mercedes garage just won't help and local garage says he will do it for £500. I managed it easily on a BMW X3 but the panels are so large, how many lugs are on them?
Can anyone help, please.

#9 ·
I successfully used the Nextbase hardwire kit to wire my front cam to the fuse box located on the drivers side of the dashboard.

I piggy backed off the glove box light fuse location which is only live when the ignition is on. The cable routes under the interior mirror housing, then around the window surround down the windscreen side of the A pillar. The fuse box access panel is removed whilst the driver’s door is wide open. The cover is quite difficult to remove. You have to slide the cover up slightly before gently levering it away from the dashboard.

Attachments

#16 ·
Would you be as kind as post details of the dash cam purchased
I’d bought one and struggled with the mount primarily as I wanted it as discreet as possible

I played today and ended up fitting it into the wife’s Audi, so very much back to square one looking for a low profile dash cam that can be tucked behind the mirror and not intrusive

I’ve taken the Audi as a practise session
I’m left with a suction mount (useless) x2 magnetic ball mounts and a hard wire kit and no dash cam :crying:

#17 ·
Nextbase 522GW. Easy to use and good quality video. The adhesive mount allows the camera to be positioned high in the window so out of the passengers line of sight. The suction mount is larger and the camera mounts lower on the screen.

Only thing with the adhesive mount is the adhesive pad is grey and is quite prominent when you look at the windscreen from outside the car. Shame they didn't make it black instead. Other than that, really pleased with the setup.

#18 ·
You can get over the grey tape by using black d/s tape of the type they use to stick on spoilers and trims. I can't remember exactly what it's called but not expensive, very strong bond and about 1.5 - 2mm thick, various widths. Mine has green removable backing foil. I bought a couple of rolls a while ago and use it for all sorts of jobs

As an aside, the dashcam subject is of great interest. My wife had a very recent altercation with a motorcyclist who came out of a side road without looking, damaged her car, his bike and several bones in his foot.
No blame, she was on the major road and he didn't stop at the T junction but luckily an advanced motorcycle instructor witnessed the incident and submitted a statement - a camera would have been invaluable otherwise.

Rider is ok btw apart from broken foot and had it not been that my missus was able to swerve as well as brake the guy might be deceased!

So dash cams are planned for both cars and probably motorhome as well!

#19 · (Edited)
Thanks, does the Nextbase 522, have to be placed down from the headlining to allow for power inlet, noting that it’s installed from the top.
I’m also looking at the Blackvue DR590 style for low profile fitting though may favour Road Angel Halo /go

I’m also seeing Mercedes have a inbuilt trim for the mirror shroud to include yet another Camera though the statement may not be factually correct as it most likely aftermarket.

#20 ·
Hi, it fits right at the top of the screen, providing you use the adhesive mount. see photo - From the drivers seat it's mostly hidden by the mirror. The cable enters the side of the mount, it's a clever design.

I like the idea of black double-sided tape, will have a look on eBay for some. Any idea if the Nextbase 3M adhesive pad comes off easily?

Attachments

#23 ·
Thanks gents, always good to get real life pictures
I’m going to walk around a couple of shops and get a hands on
Im type the hates clutter, definately OCD, with the smallest things I find shall trouble me.
I feel I miss the point of dash cams when I’m so pernickety with the routing of cable power supply etc, however I shall get there..

Jim, yours does look very neat

#24 ·
From the driver's point of view the camera is pretty well hidden. The front passenger has a good view of it though! :) This is the second E Class I've had done and I'm not sure they are favourite cars for the Halfords guys. The power source is the fusebox in the boot so there is a lot of cable to run. Is the GLC the same? I used Halfords on Wellington Road.

#26 ·
That’s the problem I encountered hence installed the camera in the wife’s Audi where the mirror shroud is very small and camera can be tucked behind the mirror out of sight from both Driver and passenger (almost) whilst positioned in the Glc, the camera was “just there” blocking view
The Power supply in the Audi was piggybacked off the Power outlet sockets allbeit there is the option to take power from the fuse board and wire however I didn’t have the Audi connectors...

The power supply for the GLC, is in the side dash trim, this is the easiest option taking supply from fuse 216 glovebox light (5A),
however
It should (correctly) be taken from the fuse box in the boot, fuse 445 or 447 power outlet sockets (15A)
Full credit to Halfords for maintaining integrity & correctness.

Halfords, Wellington Road, is just down the road,
I was in there looking, noting the new Nextbases have integral mounts on the face plate, making the footprint smaller....

#25 ·
I bit the bullet today and bought 3 full kits. Nextbase 522GW + rear window mount camera + hard wire kit. One set is for my daughters' car so if I'm lucky I might get the money back for that one. Come to think of it I might fit that first and use her Fiesta as guinee pig. :wink2:

I'm not concerned about the GLC but my wifes' Mini clubman will be a bitch when it comes to the rear camers as the split doors pose a problem - should be fun.

As an aside, Nextbase are currently running a promo through retailers for the 522GW at £119 and the modules at half price if bought with a dash cam, can't get much better on line so I called in to Curries to handle the cameras and try to negotiate a price as I was buying multiples but was told politely to sling my hook in contrast to Halfords next door who were delighted to do a deal.

#31 ·
Mercedes have added new accessories for earlier GLC family- namely front and rear dash cams.
wire pack, adhesive pack and micro SD card pack. Complete system excluding install with 32Gb MB card is close to AU$1200. SD card is expensive at $101 for 32Gb card.
Front A2139055310
rear. A2139055510
wire A2138209303
Does anyone have Data, specs on these units ?
Any copies of tech bulletins or install guidance ?
Any additional info how it works, wifi, Bluetooth, ?
Thanks

#33 ·
Update. Re MB dash cam.
Data seems to indicate.
  • 1080p
  • audio
  • supercapacitor
  • GPS
  • WiFi module
  • Smartphone app control
App called Mercedes-Benz Dashcam.
This seems to control most functions including downloads.
No idea if software has ability to hover over areas and magnify like Thinkware or Blackvue.
Site in Germany, Mercteil, has them listed with FedEx delivery.

https://mercteil.com/products/40?mai...it=12&offset=0

Aust price front camera only is RRP $831, can get it for $756 from MB Dealer with discount.
German site price is Euro 362, incl delivery that approx converts to AU $608, so about $150 cheaper from them, unknown is customs or final currency conversion depending on PayPal or bank data.

https://translate.google.com.au/tran...m/&prev=search

Cameras now in Oz data base, no stock in Oz or Singapore hub comes from Germany, allow about 4 weeks delivery to Dealer.

Cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.