Mercedes GLC Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody used the Dynaplug temporary tyre repair kit or have an opinion on it. In the absence of a spare wheel in my GLC AMG Line Coupe I'm thinking of buying one as backup for the Tirefit compressor and goop...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hi Tony, yes you're correct my thinking is that in the event of a puncture caused by a nail and the short time required to insert a Dynaplug seal if I'm more than 50 miles from where I need to be then hopefully this will enable me to drive further than the deflated run flat limit of 50 miles. I've looked at buying a space saver, jack and wheel bolt wrench but I understand even using the space below the boot floor it will protrude at least 15cm above the floor which won't leave much space for luggage if I'm on a long journey. I know you're going to say why use run flats then, my response will be they're still handy when closer to home, I'm locking for greater security during the longer journeys.

·
Registered
100 Posts

I have had two punctures on run-flats while the owner of a few bmw520 and driven on one occasion at least 140 miles before repaired. Two points # Reduce your speed to about 50mph and don't remove the object that caused it....:frown2:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi rick z
The Dynaplug works as long as you have no side wall damage if you have got a large hole you can use more than one plug per hole
We keep them on our work vans as on and off building sits you get a lot of punchers.
Works best if you have some air in the tyre we use a golf T to put in the hole once you have removed the object put in the golf T don't push it right in as it is only to stop to much air escaping if it is a bad puncher you can plug and foam but would recommend getting the tyre chqued or a new tyre ASAP.

Hope this helps Alfie

·
Registered
100 Posts

If you get a puncture anywhere in Europe this is what you do if your driving a GLC fitted with a Tyrefit kit.... Call 0080017777777 and let them take care of the problem. This cover is there during warranty time and may be extended if you continue to have your GLC serviced with a MB Dealer. :wink2:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

If you get a puncture anywhere in Europe this is what you do if your driving a GLC fitted with a Tyrefit kit.... Call 0080017777777 and let them take care of the problem. This cover is there during warranty time and may be extended if you continue to have your GLC serviced with a MB Dealer. :wink2:
Much better being able to carry on driving if you're stuck in the middle of nowhere rather than wait hours for MB recovery.:eek:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Something else to consider, apparently goop works on over 90% of punctures. Also Dynaplug can be used for larger holes where up to 3 seals can can be used. With these you have an over 90% chance of getting home or to a tyre fitter. Where there's concern over tyre availability then carry a spare tyre for the tyre fitter to fit, this costs less than a spare wheel, weighs less and takes up less space in your boot.

·
Registered
467 Posts
With run-flats, gloop and a Dynaplug solution, I've got to admire your level of preparedness for your trip around the Emerald Isle. I doubt our local Regiment are as well kitted out for their trips down Mosul high street :D I'm afraid I will be relying on the red call button below the rear view mirror to summon the Mercedes butler. Never having experienced owning a prestige marque before, I can only assume a gentleman sporting a handlebar moustache and lederhosen will eventually show up to offer me bratwurst and sauerkraut sandwiches and a nice glass of Riesling before getting on with sorting out the puncture.

On a serious note, I've carried the plug solution on my motorbikes for years and they work fine. The repair has always lasted until the tyres have reached their legal minimum. In fact, both the AA and RAC use the official plugging kit supplied by BMW.

Reactions: Hurly

·
Super Moderator
1,144 Posts
Whe I bought my discovery sport I purchased the spacesaver wheel which is slung under the car. When I queried with the salesman about the procedure for using it his advice was "call land rover assist", I will certainly be calling Mercedes if I have a puncture.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
With run-flats, gloop and a Dynaplug solution, I've got to admire your level of preparedness for your trip around the Emerald Isle. I doubt our local Regiment are as well kitted out for their trips down Mosul high street :D I'm afraid I will be relying on the red call button below the rear view mirror to summon the Mercedes butler. Never having experienced owning a prestige marque before, I can only assume a gentleman sporting a handlebar moustache and lederhosen will eventually show up to offer me bratwurst and sauerkraut sandwiches and a nice glass of Riesling before getting on with sorting out the puncture.

On a serious note, I've carried the plug solution on my motorbikes for years and they work fine. The repair has always lasted until the tyres have reached their legal minimum. In fact, both the AA and RAC use the official plugging kit supplied by BMW.
Ha ha hope you have a mobile signal when you call the MB butler.

Youtube shows up to 3 Dynaplug strings being used and sealing quite a large puncture, this method does appear to be easy and reliable. Where the remaining less than 10% of punctures can't be temporarily repaired with goop or Dynaplug then maybe use Dynaplug and goop which leaves the major cause of non repairable punctures being mostly damned pot holes at which point it's time to call the MB Butler but at least hopefully upward of 95% is covered.

I think my paranoia was born form 30 years working offshore where for safety reasons everything was completed to a high standard and all what if's were considered until reasonably practicable was met. In this case reasonably practicable stops at the price of a spare wheel, jack and wrench and the space required in my boot without the spare storage recess. I've been sent a couple of photo's showing a spare in a GLC Coupe boot and the floor is raised aprox 15cm/6in and of course the floor and wheel are pottential projectiles if left loose.

I have considered just carrying a spare tyre for a tyre fitter to fit but what size would I buy for 235/55 front and 255/50 back hmmmmmm ..:nerd:

·
Registered
100 Posts

That's just what you do...press the red button SOS sit back and relax and read the paper...all this rubbish about carrying extra tyres and buying spare wheels after spending the guts of 50k just makes me scream :rolleyes:
I use Puncture Seal in the tyres of my Goldwing and no problem with punctures....:smile2:

·
Registered
287 Posts
Carrying a spare tire and having to call for assistance in order to get them to put that spare tire on is just pointless to me. In the scenario where you have a puncture and a spare tire that requires someone else to come and utilize it, you may as well either 1) screw the spare tire, call for assistance and have them fix it with their products, or 2) carry goop or dyna plug and fix it yourself. The spare tire is deemed unnecessary to be on/in the vehicle at all lol.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Carrying a spare tire and having to call for assistance in order to get them to put that spare tire on is just pointless to me. In the scenario where you have a puncture and a spare tire that requires someone else to come and utilize it, you may as well either 1) screw the spare tire, call for assistance and have them fix it with their products, or 2) carry goop or dyna plug and fix it yourself. The spare tire is deemed unnecessary to be on/in the vehicle at all lol.

Nope, wrong, if a long way from home you use the goop or Dynaplug to repair the puncture, then you make your way to a tyre fitter and they say sorry we ain't got the right tyre in and it will take X days to get one, your response is it doesn't matter I have one and voila job done and no nights in a hotel required waiting for a tyre. You can continue your journey knowing your tyre is safe.....

·
Registered
467 Posts
Not 100% sure but doesn't a GLC Coupe have wider tyres on the rear wheel than the front? If so, you would need to carry 2 spare tyres to overcome the Law of Sod. My TVR has a spacesaver tyre. It is only about 5" wide but can be used to prop up any corner. It is good for speeds up to 60mph and could stay on the car indefinitely. It sounds like you are fast approaching a roofbox or towbar and trailer scenario if you intend carrying an amount of kit that would make Kwik-Fit proud. :D

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not 100% sure but doesn't a GLC Coupe have wider tyres on the rear wheel than the front? If so, you would need to carry 2 spare tyres to overcome the Law of Sod. My TVR has a spacesaver tyre. It is only about 5" wide but can be used to prop up any corner. It is good for speeds up to 60mph and could stay on the car indefinitely. It sounds like you are fast approaching a roofbox or towbar and trailer scenario if you intend carrying an amount of kit that would make Kwik-Fit proud. :D
:laugh::grin2:..... Yes the daft offset wheel sizes does present an issue and I'm not sure how the car will drive if I used a single size space saver.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts