Mercedes GLC Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For all UK owners who may not realise, map updates are NOT automatically performed when your GLC is serviced. You need to specifically request an update when you book a service. I guess this is because the process is somewhat time consuming so the Dealer will only do it if specifically requested. It is also not uncommon for a map update not to 'stick' requiring the whole process to be redone again.

Anyway, I requested an update when Red Ken went in for his annual service. One was available but unfortunately it failed. I was told that by retrying on the same day, the probability of it failing again was very high and that they had achieved a far higher success rate if he was brought back on another day. As they had discovered a failed puddle light, this would require a return trip anyway to rectify.

So today Ken has again got 4 working puddle lights (that was the 3rd one to fail) and the satnav section of COMAND is using map version EUROPE 2018 V.12.0. The map backgrounds are now using more pastel colours which I feel makes your position easier to read.

·
Super Moderator
1,144 Posts
Thanks Toobad, mine was updated in May and is still a 2017 version, will have a word with dealer tomorrow to see what's going on.

Does anyone know when the versions are changed, if anyone bought a UK car in March what version of the map is installed.

·
Registered
263 Posts
My car was in for service yesterday and I had specifically requested V12 to be installed and was assure it would be. I waited 3 weeks for a loan car because of that as well as an engine management update and brake check otherwise would have just waited for the car so am somewhat miffed that it is still showing V11 and the dealer told me "latest version installed".

Have just rung MB HO and waiting for them to come back to me to confirm what's available before I give the dealer some earache.

·
Super Moderator
1,144 Posts
Had exactly the same Lons, got customer services involved and version 12 was installed in April, these dealers should be held to task for "not telling the truth". Customer services phoned the dealer for me and within 3 hours the dealer had phoned me to say they had just received version 12 - rubbish.

In dispute with BMW at the moment, this morning my wife received a safety recall notice saying she needed a plate fitted under fuel pump as if there is an accident there is a possibility of a fire. The update takes about an hour, phoned dealer and they said that they would need the car all day, I requested a courtesy car but have been told they don't supply them for recalls. Now waiting for the service manager to call to "discuss".

They could have lost a £70000 sale through this as I was considering the new X5 when I change.

All dealers appear to be the same once they have sold you the car.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I'm still waiting for MB to ring me back but in the meantime have spoken the the girl who handled my service and as it was 4.45pm she's going to follow it through tomorrow. I told her I wanted the answer to 1). If they don't have the latest version then as main dealers - why not? 2) If they do have it which is what I was told when booking - why wasn't it installed? Can't use the excuse it failed because my invoice states " latest maps installed".

I've done some googling and can actually buy version 12 from Command Online Ltd so they can't dispute it's out there.

I'd complained about my brakes feeling rough and squeal so they've sent the test data from my brakes to MB which hopefully will result in some warranty work in which case I'm happy to wait for the map update but will be insisting the loan me a car and waive the £20 insurance charge.

I had a bad experience with a BMW dealer years ago, called in to the showroom looking to buy my first BMW 3 series, straight deal, no part ex, I happened to be on my way home in my van in workclothes though clean and I was completely ignored. The sales people were standing around gossiping and when I approached and asked for a catalogue one of them just pointed to the reception desk and turned back to his colleagues. I assumed they looked at me and decided I couldn't afford a BM.

The result of that was I went to another dealer and over a few years bought 3 Bms and 5 Minis - idiots

·
Super Moderator
1,144 Posts
Let us know how you get on Lons.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had the same issue with Audi and Jaguar, several times with Audi ref the sales guys and girls looking you up and down and making assumptions. They lost at least a dozen car sales over the years when I told friends about it. I would still like an Audi at some point, but the dealers (have tried several) seem to think they’ll decide if you’re good enough for their product. MB on the other hand, were hungry for my business and made the experience positive. I had the update done a few weeks ago when my DAB was updated. I don’t know why they can’t do this over the air instead of having to take the car in.

·
Registered
263 Posts
My issues are more irritating by the minute.

Was promised return call with answers from MB customer service on Tues am, never happened so rang again this morning, complained and the guy got me the info in 2 minutes flat but I was gobsmacked when he said " according to our system your car has the latest Version 12.0 installed and linked to your chassis number".

When I told him that according to my car system shows it still has ver 11.0 which it was supplied with 12 months ago he checked again with technical and couldn't or wouldn't give an explanation. Asked me several times if I wanted him to ring the dealer but I declined as I want to give them the chance to sort it first.

Dealer has also been procrastinating giving end of month problems as an excuse but she eventually returned my latest call late afternoon, I was on the golf course so from memory she said after the usual appologies etc. " I've searched through all the disks and it seems that there is no update available for your car". I told her that was cr*p, explained what MB had confirmed and had she returned my earlier call it would have saved her going through the disks, in any case why couldn't those be checked via their digital stock records?

She also told me that MB have " declined to contribute towards my brake issues".

So, I'm really pi**ed off, I've sent her a carefully worded email with the photo and will give her a couple of days to respond with solutions to both issues before firing both barrels but I see an argument coming with MB as apart from the maps I'm certainly not paying for brake repairs. I won't let it go or roll over so watch this space, if I don't get things sorted then a series of complaints to various directors will be sent and it will be my last Merc which is a shame as I like the car.

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Actually I don’t think the dealers can be so naive, but just don’t have the info provided from MB. With the many models they have and probably the daily small spec changes, MB don’t seem to be able to keep their customers served properly via the dealerships.

·
Super Moderator
1,144 Posts
Actually I don’t think the dealers can be so naive, but just don’t have the info provided from MB. With the many models they have and probably the daily small spec changes, MB don’t seem to be able to keep their customers served properly via the dealerships.
I don't believe that dealers don't know such basic things as what the latest version of the maps is, remember version 12 has been out for over 6 months.

Good luck Lons as you say good car spoilt by dealer/ MB service, but if you do change don't go to land rover as you will find out what bad customer service is.

·
Registered
263 Posts
To update my issues which have escalated a bit over the last week following some discussions with myself and a manager at the dealership

No explanation why MB say my car has the update already when it hasn't, dealer says they do not have the update and don't know why just that it's on back order. ??? However their other local branch does have it and they will borrow that disk to update my maps.

As the car needs to go back in, they will put fuel in to cover the 40 mile round trip, loan me a car ( I won't be paying £20 insurance this time ) and will fix the brakes that MB have "declined" so I've booked it in for the 21st and we'll see what happens. I hope they can sort the brakes as it's enough to put me off buying another Mercedes.

To be fair I've found them easy to deal with apart from a bit slow and have no issues with the people but the map issues leave me more than a little sceptical.

It's not much different though to other suppliers, spent well over £60k in September on a new German motorhome with a decent Pioneer DAB+ radio and sat nav only to find FM performance is so so and virtually no DAB reception except very patchy in strong areas.
Fiat Ducato chassis with aerial in a wing mirror it seems and I have to fit another bloody aerial to have any chance of a signal. At least Fiat did actually ring me back today from Italy to discuss it as well as inform me there's a recall!

·
Super Moderator
1,144 Posts
Being sceptical Lons did your dealer update the map version to 12 on the system and claim for doing it off MB without actually doing it.
How many owners would just accept that they have the latest version, being on the forum gives us the information that others don't have.
As an aside my dealer doesn't charge anything for the courtesy car.
Good luck with the brakes.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Being sceptical Lons did your dealer update the map version to 12 on the system and claim for doing it off MB without actually doing it.
How many owners would just accept that they have the latest version, being on the forum gives us the information that others don't have.
As an aside my dealer doesn't charge anything for the courtesy car.
Good luck with the brakes.
Yes that thought had definitely crossed my mind but couldn't really suggest it as I was looking for it and the brakes to be resolved. I was asked how did I know I still had ver 11 and I of course explained that I checked it and promptly sent them a photo of the media screen.

You're absolutely right, I've asked several of my mates over the last few days and none of them have a clue what they have.

As far as insurance on the courtesy car I was taken aback as BMW and Audi didn't charge though they did take copies of my own insurance certificate.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Car was back in on Wednesday when they finally updated the maps to ver 12 and replaced the rear brake pads, they also put in £20 worth of Diesel and loaned me an almost new E class estate.

Never got an answer on why MB previously had me registered as ver 12 installed but then I wasn't expecting one.
They were falling over themselves to get it right this time and so I can't have any complaints now it's done.

As an aside, I had thought about an E class but I wasn't really impressed and liked my previous A6 Avant quatro black ed more than the loan car.

·
Super Moderator
1,144 Posts
Good to hear you got it sorted Lons.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I know this was a while ago but I just got a 2017 GLC and it’s maps are V10. I told the sales rep I wanted the latest Comand sat nav updates installed prior to delivery so was pretty confused when I found out it was on V10 dated 2017. The sales rep phoned today to tell me that V10 is the latest update for my car but I find that hard to believe. The car will be 3 year old in March 2020 so no free updates after that. (Not that any we’re available for the last 3 years!!)
Can someone tell what the latest version is, before I go ballistic with them?

·
Super Moderator
1,144 Posts
Phone customer services, they will tell you what the latest version for your car is.

For the new cars with mbux you can download the latest version from the mercedes portal onto a USB and install them into your car.

Reactions: ditch999

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks Philamg
I have emailed cs at mb and will give them a couple of days to reply then ring if I don’t hear from them.
How do I know if I have mbux? And where’s that mb portal you mention?
Ta

·
Super Moderator
1,144 Posts
Mbux is in the updated GLC just released, if you google MB online portal it will allow you to sign in using the details you have registered for mercedes me app for your phone.
I would call customer services as I had same issue with dealer regarding map update, they told me I had latest maps. I called customer services and they told me there was an update, they phoned the dealer for me and the next day I received a call from dealer and they had just received the update!.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
AFAIK, the latest COMAND map update is still EUROPE 2018 V.12.0. from June of last year. At my service in June this year I told my Dealer I wanted to BUY the latest map update but he assured me I still had the most current version installed.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts