Mercedes GLC Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a loud noise that appears to come from fan even when the fan is off. It is intermittent and can last for 5 to 10 minutes at a level that is too loud for conversation.

Model is 300 GLC 2020 with 10k on the odometer. Dealership does not appear to be able to identify the issue.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a loud noise that appears to come from fan even when the fan is off. It is intermittent and can last for 5 to 10 minutes at a level that is too loud for conversation.

Model is 300 GLC 2020 with 10k on the odometer. Dealership does not appear to be able to identify the issue.
I had this for the first time this week. Pulled up and got out of the vehicle. Noticed a very slight burning smell and the fan noise. It lasted a good 5 mins or so before shutting off. It was only a small journey and in cold weather so should have no over heating issue. I may need to keep an eye on this if it is potential problem. Not had it before.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, I was just wondering if your issue got resolved. I have the same exact problem only it comes on after driving apprx. 20-30 minutes. Brought it to Mercedes service where they're telling me they are seeing this problem with the new glc 300 2020 but has not been an issue in previous years. They said the mbux gets too hot so there is a fan that turns on to cool it down ... does this sound normal?!! I spoke with someone at customer service to see what can be done but this is unacceptable and not what you would expect from a luxury vehicle.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi. I too have the same problem. It’s highly intermittent and seems to happen only sometimes after driving for 20-30 mins. I took it into MB and they told me it could be one of the fans on the console but would need to observe it when it happens. Lol. Good luck with that because it doesn’t last long. I took some video of it though which I will post if I can. My glc 300. 2020

Hi, I was just wondering if your issue got resolved. I have the same exact problem only it comes on after driving apprx. 20-30 minutes. Brought it to Mercedes service where they're telling me they are seeing this problem with the new glc 300 2020 but has not been an issue in previous years. They said the mbux gets too hot so there is a fan that turns on to cool it down ... does this sound normal?!! I spoke with someone at customer service to see what can be done but this is unacceptable and not what you would expect from a luxury vehicle.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Could well be a cooling fan for the MBUX which is essentially a computer system, a PC has a cooling fan for the same reason

·
Registered
46 Posts
I find it hard to believe this is for the MBUX, why would it overheat after that specified time. Longer and shorter trips don;t appear to trigger the fan.

·
Registered
44 Posts
It may be perspective but the photos look different to the overhead of my MBUX (which has a lot of vents down both sides).

Either way, PCs need to cool down normally by a big heatsink and then by fan if necessary. If your fan is coming on often (I've never heard mine) then perhaps the heatsink isn't making proper contact with the cpu and it's overheating?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Im not sure, Im not too familiar with these terms. All they're telling me is that the mbux in the new glc 2020 has been placed too close to the engine in the front and the fan that comes on to cool it off has 3 speeds on it and it comes on at the 3rd fan speech which happens to be loud. Service manager says it will be an issue for everyone come summer time since it will be hot out and the fan will turn on right away. He said its basically a design flaw and could be fixed if Mercedes comes out with a recall and moves box but so far Mercedes is saying this is "normal" and is doing nothing about this issue. Frustrating to hear their service manager say this is an issue and agree with the customer yet Mercedes does nothing and brushes you off.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I wonder if it's region specific, I've had my GLC 300 2020 model out and about here in Sydney on a 43.5 degree day (celcius) and it was silent.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So it seems its not happening with all of them. I think I'm going to request to drive a loaner and see if I hear the same sound. Mercedes definitely knows about the issue but they're pretending like it is normal. Thank you for your feedback.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Is it a diesel ? If so then the engine was probably doing a DPF cycle when you turned it off so it runs the cooling fan to cool things down for a few mins after you turn it off. You will also smell a burning smell.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts