Mercedes GLC Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few of my work colleagues have recently taken new Ford Mondeo's as company cars and everyone seems to be very impressed by them. They seem to be a step change upwards for Ford and everyone's raving about how good the ride quality is (I have to agree, it's impressive), not just for a Ford but full stop. Anyone else noticing this phenomenon ?

Ford Mondeo Family Car | Ford UK

·
Registered
28 Posts
A few of my work colleagues have recently taken new Ford Mondeo's as company cars and everyone seems to be very impressed by them. They seem to be a step change upwards for Ford and everyone's raving about how good the ride quality is (I have to agree, it's impressive), not just for a Ford but full stop. Anyone else noticing this phenomenon ?

Ford Mondeo Family Car | Ford UK
what is its equivalent in USA? :laugh:

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
what is its equivalent in USA? :laugh:
It's the 'FUSION' Stateside, but it's a 'global platform' car (apparently) so it's effectively the same car with slightly different spec's to meet each markets needs (moving the steering wheel & almost all diesel engine options for the UK for example). A first for Ford apparently. We also get the Mustang here now but the waiting list is astronomical as supply has significantly exceeded demand. Apparently we DO want a 5 litre car in the UK after all !

·
Registered
412 Posts
Could be a platform that's also used under Opel, they've been known to get some interesting Ford based products

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's obviously the way forward for car manufacturer's as the cost of getting a new car to the showroom is going up all the time. The rigorous crash & emission testing must cost a few $$$$ and then you have to market the thing, so if you can just 'plonk' a new body on a current floorpan it's a win / win scenario. I think we'll see more engine collaborations between manufacturers too as the more stringent emission controls get the more expensive they will be to both developed and have tested. Ultimately I think we will have less options as the cost of developing engines will be cost prohibitive so I suspect the days of seeing cars with 5+ engine options will be long gone ?

Reading an article in the automotive press here a while ago it suggested the manual gearbox will disappear soon on all but the smallest engine options as a computer controlled auto box will be the only way to pass ever stricter standards. It also suggested 12 speed auto boxes could be on the way ! Who know's ?

·
Registered
28 Posts
It's the 'FUSION' Stateside, but it's a 'global platform' car (apparently) so it's effectively the same car with slightly different spec's to meet each markets needs (moving the steering wheel & almost all diesel engine options for the UK for example). A first for Ford apparently. We also get the Mustang here now but the waiting list is astronomical as supply has significantly exceeded demand. Apparently we DO want a 5 litre car in the UK after all !
that would be my guess, IMO USA cars pay more attention to car designs, they look better now, if they pay more attention to quality - which they do - then they would somewhat regain some market share. However I think the "market share" already reaches the equilibrium point (I could be totally wrong). Everybody is pushing the EV car technology, and that's great for consumers and the earth

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, EV is the big project for most companies (although I think Hydrogen is the way forward but it's difficult to store), and there are some decent EV's hitting the road now. Near where I live Nissan has a large factory and have just opened up an EV technology center, clearly showing some serious investment in this area. Tesla already have some of the best EV's on the road and they prove that car's don't have to look weird just because they are not powered by fossil fuels. Link to Nissan below for those that are interested -

Main Media*-*United Kingdom*-*Nissan Newsroom

1 - 7 of 7 Posts