Mercedes GLC Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Red Ken is out of warranty in June and I have no intentions of trading him in for something else as he continues to satisfy 100% of my needs. But just occasionally I find myself trying to scratch the faintest itch of "upgraditis" and start wondering what life would be like pootling around in the new revised GLE or even something from a different marque. It would be interesting to hear from others (yes, I'm looking at you @Philamg) who have taken or are considering taking the decision to move away from their beloved GLC. We certainly don't need 7 seats and we live down a narrow lane so the WAF (wife acceptance factor) will be ridiculously low. I'm way too scared to take a test drive as that could be a recipe for sleepless nights. The sensible head says dropping another £30k+ to do just 6k miles a year is a definite no-no but then a wise man once said "Always travel First Class because when you're dead, your relatives sure as **** will". A 350de engine will be coming to the UK later in the year and a 6-cylinder mild hybrid diesel ticks all the boxes in my quest for an uber-comfortable ride experience. Is anybody else suffering the anguish of this First World problem?

·
Super Moderator
1,154 Posts
Have a test drive Toobad and then decide, it is BIG but very luxurious (nappa leather). The one I test drove was a 300D and the engine was ok, the 350 will suit the car.

One point against is I can't find a decent forum for the GLE, certainly not as good as this one. I saw a GLE - BIG RED KEN and was considering it but I decided to stick with Selenite because it will only need cleaning 6 times during my ownership.

I had no intention of changing until I test drove the GLE whilst my car was in for a service.
I got a good discount (after 3 hours negotiation) and decided to go for it, you only live once.
Big advantage is I will be able to get more fishing tackle in for my trips to the Wye.

Reactions: Toobad

·
Registered
265 Posts
I decided to stick with Selenite because it will only need cleaning 6 times during my ownership.
Na..... You told me it only gets washed when serviced. :wink2:

When serviced and when I get the wheels changed, twice a year. I always plan to keep a car for 3 years but haven't managed it for the last 20.

·
Super Moderator
1,154 Posts
Did it again Lons, added to your post - whoops.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have a test drive Toobad and then decide, it is BIG but very luxurious (nappa leather).
I fear a test drive would be a guaranteed Borg moment (resistance is futile). I may sit in the beast when I take Red Ken in to see about a steering knuckle fix next Tuesday. I see you "enjoyed" an Audi Q7 for several weeks. At 5025mm long, I'd have thought that was the blue whale of the SUV world so I'm surprised you still feel the GLE is big. Admittedly it is 268mm longer and 61mm wider than a GLC which is a real concern in today's shrinking parking bays and when meeting oncoming traffic in the narrow hawthorn-lined lane outside the house. I can't deny I'm captivated by the enhanced semi-autonomous abilities offered and the greater road presence the GLE affords.

I see you are already active on the American MB World GLE sub-forum but there seems to be a shortage of Brits posting so it is not that easy to garner pertinent information.

·
Super Moderator
1,154 Posts
Yes the American forum isn't very good.

Funny, the GLE felt bigger than the Q7 but I only had it for a few hours.

The MBUX system is brilliant, when using voice control no pushing button and waiting for beep, just say "mercedes open sunroof" and it does it, will take 3 years to sort out all the options, the lighting has 64 different colours and can be changed by voice command. Rear seats on 450 with premium plus are electric, no need for 7 seats so didn't check them but believe they are only suitable for small people. And NO silly parking sensors above rear seats. Lots of room in 2nd row and won't need a roof box for holidays.

·
Registered
265 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts