Mercedes GLC Forum banner

Fuel Flap Hinge Broken

20K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  Carol 
#1 ·
Woe, woe and thrice woe!:mad: So I went to fill up with diesel and when I pushed the fuel flap to release it, it fell out and was left dangling by the diesel cap retainer. Incredibly there was no damage to the painted flap cover or the rear quarter. Not to throw accusations but, due to the lockdown, the last time the fuel flap had been opened was when the Dealer topped up the AdBlue during Red Ken's annual service some 2 months previous. Anyway a strip of Meccano was deployed to temporarily reattached the fuel flap for aesthetic reasons

I would guess getting the Dealer to rectify the problem would see me charged an hour's labour (probably their minimum charge) plus the cost of a replacement hinge assembly which meant the final bill would very quickly head north of £200. At times like these I try to draw inspiration from Jeremy Clarkson's catchphrase "How hard can it be?" Well, I know Mercedes Benz of Newcastle run an eBay store so I fired off a quick request from my own eBay account which told me they could make the hinge assembly available in their store via a custom link for £57.38. Sold!

For a diesel (it will have the extra hole for the AdBlue cap) the part number is A253 630 58 02 from this supplier: Mercedes-Benz of Newcastle eBay Store

The internet is awash with various suggestions as to how the hinge assembly is removed. I can tell you it is NOT by removing the rear wheel arch liner or pulling back the carpeting in the load area. It will not just pop out using plastic pry bars either. No, you have to drill out the indents at each corner. You can then use a probe through those holes to release the retaining clips. Unclip the 2 furthest away from the hinge first so you can release the solenoid-operated latching assembly. Unclip the painted flap cover and reattach to your new part, feeding it back in hinge end first. I manage to peel off the "Diesel" and QR Code stickers from the inside of the old flap but the larger tyre pressures stick is made of brittle anti-tamper plastic and can only come off in small pieces. Here's a couple of photos:

See less See more
Reactions: Carol
#3 ·
Hi Toobad I read your post a few days ago and then today after having some new tyres fitted I was checking pressures and bumped into the fuel flap which promptly fell off , I couldn't believe it what a rubbish hinge . I was wondering if it would be covered under warranty as I've still got a couple of months to go. I like your meccano repair , I wouldnt throw that away as you may need it again !
Regards Andrew

#4 ·
Hi Andrew, it has to be worth a shot. Tell them you went to fuel up and the flap just fell out when you released it. If they won't play ball then I'd get the part online and ask your local bodyshop to pop it in for you if you are not confident of doing it yourself.

Reactions: AndrewB
#5 ·
Hi Toobad I will give it a try it seems like a very fragile part on a £50,000 car . I see the part number has changed a couple of times so hopefully upgraded but I can't find anything close to the price you paid ,though I will try Newcastle if I can't get any joy at home .
Regards Andrew

Reactions: Carol
#6 ·
Andrew, good luck in your search, I'm sure Newcastle can sort you out. Just contact their eBay shop via your own account quoting your model and, better still, your VIN and they will provide a link for a custom purchase if you are happy with their price. Maybe it will be cheaper than the diesel version as there will be no hole for the AdBlu filler neck (y)
Regards
Trevor.

#7 ·
Hi Trevor Thanks for the info but the car is booked in for its annual service in a few days and I've asked them to fit a new one at the same time hopefully under warranty ! They've been very good so far and I've taken out a service plan for three services so we'll see what happens . It just fell off in my hand guv !
All the best Andrew

Reactions: Toobad
#8 ·
I've had the new hinge fitted now , but I see someone else on here has had the same issue , it seems to be a fragile part. Anyway no joy with warranty so had to stump up £200 incl vat but that did include £30 for new stickers ,the actual part was £41 +vat so maybe that's why it's fragile .
Regards Andrew

#20 ·
Just asked for a quote from my local garage, so I'll let you know what they charge to fit it. It does seem like any slight knock is enough to flick this panel cover off - and then most people are over a barrel in getting it fixed (unless you are like Toobad!) and have to pay a garage to do it.

#9 ·
Feeling your pain, Andrew. I wonder if they bill you a minimum labour charge just for driving it into their workshop irrespective of the complexity of the task. Anyway, all sorted and I'm sure you will now be opening the fuel flap with the delicacy of a bomb disposal expert. 💣 As to the stickers, the only way MB would get £30 from me would be to prise it from my cold dead hand. :eek:🤬👎
Stay safe,
Trev.

#10 ·
Hi Trev Well they are nice non wrinkled stickers and that was supposed to be a discounted parts and labour charge because I have a sevice plan ! I shall certainly be extremely careful when opening said cover and making sure I don't bump into it again when checking tyre pressures . I should know what the proper pressure is by now.
Regards Andrew

#11 ·
Hey Toobad - I had the same thing happen to me! I have a 2016 GLC43 and upon collecting the car from a Mercedes Dealer in Leeds [2nd hand] they said they broke the fuel cap when washing it. I didn't believe them as there were glue marks where someone had tried to repair it before.
They agreed to ship me the new part and pay for repairs. It took almost 2.5 months for this to happen and multiple calls back and forth with the dealer.

Now repaired - but what a flimsey part!

#12 ·
@meer84 I did think of reinforcing the new hinge by filling the voids between the vanes with 2-part epoxy filler. But then I thought the weakness may be intentional. Perhaps it is sacrificial and designed to snap to prevent the painted fuel flap cover from being forced back into the rear quarter and causing a crease. A panel beating and respray would work out a lot more expensive if the metal in the rear quarter had stretched and a paintless dent repair couldn't correct it.

Reactions: meer84
#14 ·
I feel your pain😩 Just obtain the replacement part (they are obviously different for petrol or diesel) and pop it round to your local bodyshop. Somebody there will probably do the swop in their lunchbreak for the price of a good drink.

#16 ·
Mercedes better start doing right by its customers and stop charging people for what is a defect. These defects don't even happen on any cheap cars I've ever seen. Mercedes stop trying to kill my investment and Mercedes good reputation. Customers should not even be making complaints about cheap defective parts,paint peeling, fading. Consumer Reports gave Mercedes a terrible revue. Mercedes don't let this be and killing my investment.

#17 ·
I feel your pain😩 Just obtain the replacement part (they are obviously different for petrol or diesel) and pop it round to your local bodyshop. Somebody there will probably do the swop in their lunchbreak for the price of a good drink.
This too happened to me...the hinge has snapped. Does anyone know if just the hinge section can be replaced or is it part of the fuel door as a whole. Thanks

#18 ·
Broke my filler hinge yesterday (annoyingly). Your tips and fixes and information have come in very useful as I have my GLC booked in for a service next week, and I've asked them to do this repair at the same time. I've even given them the details that TooBad has provided - though I suspect that the fitting in someone's lunch break would be out of the question and it will end up costing me dearly. I agree with you all about the flimsy nature of the part though, and annoyed that Mercedes can't make a proper metal hinged filler cap.