Mercedes GLC Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought the GLC250 a year ago, my 5th mercedes. I have to say , it is the worst car I have ever had!
They have what Mercedes call a characteristic of the car . In that the front wheels when you turn a sharp corner , you get this very loud and knocking, and feel like the car has absolutely no grip on the road. They call it “Crabbing”. Apparently this is due to the car originally being built as a left hand drive, which doesn’t quite work so well on a right hand drive. Mercedes also recommend that you replace all the tyres with All Weather tyres, as this seems to improve the grip. The tyres will dramatically wear on the outside edge, and this is nothing to do with the tracking. I suggest you test drive one , and check the full lock yourself. When I approached Mercedes customer service, I was told to just buy new tyres at £1200. Not there problem, as they class it as a characteristic, and not a design flaw. Despite the obvious problems. I have even been stopped by other GLC drivers asking me if I had the same problem. So I assume it is fairly common. I also spoke with the Motor Ombudsman, who also said that they have had numerous calls regarding this issue.

What are other drivers thoughts, and how have you dealt with this issue?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks for the heads up, I had no idea this was a common trait in Mercedes cars. My first thought was that it was the result of the stock wheel set up, which is still unacceptable. The tires wearing on the outside edge should mean that something is off with the alignment..I cant believe this is just accepted as the status quo on a Mercedes product

·
Registered
46 Posts
So how many miles did the All-Season tyres last before they were due for replacement.

I ask because mine have not been on long enough to show any wear yet.

·
Registered
465 Posts
What are other drivers thoughts, and how have you dealt with this issue?
Hi Aitch and welcome to the forum. Now I think about it, I vaguely recall a few other members becoming mildly irritated by this strange phenomenon. Oh yes, that thread currently has 825 replies across 83 pages and has been viewed over 102,000 times. Don't concern yourself, it's probably just a storm in a teacup and will blow over eventually >:) :wink2:

Click here for THE Mercedes Crabbing Thread

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hi Aitch You need to go back to your dealer and ask for all season tyres to be fitted under warranty , the Goodyear LS2s fitted to my 19" wheels under warranty have eliminated the judder on lock and there is no sign as yet of any scrubbing of the tyres , I am extremely happy with the way my car goes and handles now.

·
Super Moderator
1,143 Posts
Aitch, where are you based as no location is shown, if you are in the UK go to your dealer and he should offer to change the tyres to all weathers free of charge.

Read the crabbing thread, lots of information on there.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hi, running 250 d, in both wagon and Coupe. Steel springs and air suspension. 20” AMG rims, in both 255 and 285 specs.
Goodyear All Season, RFT, MOE, M&S tyres now fitted, excellent.
Replaced Pirelli Scorpion Verde , Summer tyres, RFT, MOE, terrible , and Michelin Latitude Sports 3, no run flat, not as bad as Pirelli.
My recommendation is Goodyear if you have 20” rims, from personal use. 8000km so far and wear is looking good. Ride still reasonable given RFT !!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Crabbing is the word !

Hi Guys,
New to this forum ...any help will be hugely appreciate.
Got a brand new GLC 250 AMG IN March 2016 - almost 18000m now went into 2nd service and have been told will new brake pads.
First ever experience with Mercedes and not looking great.
Also,from very beginning when got the car makes noises when reverse or turn,reported to Merc and was simply told this is because this Car do not have winter tyres .I need to get new winter tyres ! that's it.
Still an issue ....noise is a lot you wont believe you are in GLC !

please guys any help on this and the brake pads.
Had Toyota before this and got 24000 on cloak until i needed new brake pads.It is hard to digest with Merc that new brake pads are needed on 17850m

Just wondering if the noise going from the wheels (may be a fault there from pretty much day one) and effects the brake pads !

PLEASE HELP !:frown2:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts