Mercedes GLC Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Someone in that thread said that lowering the tire pressures helped a little bit. But if it's a software issue, shouldn't the tire pressure change not really change much?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
As I mentioned in a previous post, my dealer installed a software update to the steering system that fixes a problem where an oscillation occurs in the steering rack. While the updated software is meant to address a different issue, mine has some similarities, and the dealer installed it on mine in hopes of fixing the vibration issue I am experiencing. The dealer also checked the wheels/tires to make sure they were all balanced correctly and they were.

Before they performed the "repair" work, the shop foreman went for a test drive with me in the passenger seat. He said he could definitely feel the vibration that I was complaining about. After the work was done, he took it for another test drive and noticed a significant improvement. He felt the issue was resolved, at least from a warranty perspective.

It has been a week and a half since I got my car back from the dealer. The vibration is definitely still there but there does seem to be a small improvement. I went back to the dealer today and asked the shop foreman to go for another test drive. He said that he has test driven two other GLC 300s and they have the same vibration as mine does. He said that he has submitted a report to Mercedes head office in Germany and until/unless they identify a problem and a fix, there is nothing else that can be done under warranty. He suggested that in six months time when the A service is due on mine, they look into it again then.

He and the service advisor I dealt with have both said that I am the first customer to complain about this issue...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I own a beautiful 2016 GLC 300 4matic Lunar Blue with Black interior, BUT..... I had a loud humming noise from tires at just over 10,000 miles. Had them rotated at 5000 and 9600 miles, and alignment at 12,000 (at my request, dealer never offered even though all 4 tires were cupped at low milage) and alignment showed that it was almost perfect. I worked with dealer, but they weren't of much help on warranty of tires. Pirelli did honor and pay for 50% of new replacement tires. I replaced Pirelli Scorpion 18 inch due to "cupping" at 11,000 miles. Dealer talked me into Continentals; they are quieter but now i have a worse ride. I am starting to think it's the suspension that is the issue and not the tires. I get vibrations on all roads, but at uneven pavement, it's much worse. I've been keeping the psi to 32 per fuel door, dealer keeps setting at 34 not sure why. Anyone have a similar issue? Love my car, but rides more like my husbands old Ford F-250!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
They finally fixed my GLC300 after almost a year. They replaced the Right and Left front thrust arms. The replacements had updated bushings. This is the fix

·
Registered
1 Posts
Goshenman

At what speeds do you feel it? Could just be a wheel balancing issue?
I have a 2014 Ml350 and have experienced the same vibration on throttle. I put on new Michlin tires and aligned. Helped but it still is there. Just bought a brand new GLC300 and I’m getting a vibration. There is something with Mercedes design that I think they resignate and the natural frequency Of the steering column is achieved. I had the 2014 in three times and the new Glc300 twice (only 150 miles on it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 350 here in the U.K.

It has a problem that manifests itself in similar circumstances. It also has a vibration that comes up through the centre of the car. It starts after approx 12 miles of travel and can happen at any speed above 45MPH. A slight vibration can also be felt through the steerng wheel. It’s not wheel balance - the wheels have been balanced three times. In fact, with the wheels in perfect balance, the vibration is more noticeable.

I’ve had a similar problem with another ZF-equipped SUV. In that case, the problem was with the transfer box - it was changed under warranty.

MB seem incapable or unwilling to properly investigate the problem by getting ZF involved. I’ve had enough of the car and rejected it under the Consumer Rights Act - the equivalent to Lemon Law.

It’s the worse case of customer service I’ve ever experienced and will not be buying MB again. Good luck proving your problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Steering Wheel Vibration

I took my 2016 4matic GLC (with air ride) to the dealer to be fixed due to bad steering vibrations whenever I went over expansion joints or bumps. The first two times at the shop they said that nothing was wrong to me. The third time I sent my husband. They listened to him, applied a software update to the car and the vibration completely stopped. It feels like a brand new again. Problem remains fixed 8 months later.
Just ask the dealer to update your software.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts