Mercedes GLC Forum banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Good grief, I have just done 7000 since I picked up my "new" 2020 which had 11k already on it as a loaner and they look ok. Now after reading this I will take a proper look at a tire place.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Run Flats will get you home,

Here's what happens when someone throws a craft knife blade on your road.
This picture shows the OEM Prirelli Scorpion Verde Runflat 255/45/20 Offside Rear, with 15k Km on it, nearing a change over as can be seen from the tread ware indicator.
Note despite the damage I was able to Limp to the favourite tyre outlet.
It has a nice slit with a metal blade in it.
The Following pic shows what a screwdriver and a bit of grunting can achieve, followed by the realisation that 'Doh' they are run flats!
Where's the goo kit ? Oh that was not offered by the sales team, like the tow kit....

Outcome
Limped to get a Plug, Decided that replacing the OEM Run Flats with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S SUV tyres would be a reasonable solution If I get MB goo kit.

Note while not really excited about the Scorpions Verdes they were the default replacement, but were in short supply as the MB Dealers have cornered the COVID stock pile.
further investigation showed that they will sell them at a quite reasonable price ( surprisingly ) but adding the labour charge on top I went with the softer side wall comfort option as My GLC 200 has no Air Suspension and every speed hump is a jolt I don't need.

Next Step
Ordering a Jack and Tool Kit
A1665806900
Contains
A1665800118 VEHICLE JACK
A0005810400 WHEEL SPANNER
PLUS
1 x Chock
1 x Wheel Aligner
1 x Socket Adapter
Tool Bag ( Pocket A0008992561 no Logo )
Note this kit is missing the following
1 x ratchet handle for the jack A4145810049 WRENCH
1x Jack Retaining Strap

OEM Factory Mobile repair Kit ( fits in the Left Rear Behind the Jack
A0005836903 TIRE SEALANT BOTTLE
A000583820064 TIRE INFLATION COMPRESSOR

AND
B66588140 Tyre Gauge ( analogue therefore no battery to go flat )

I'll post back when I've made sure it all fits in the holes.

<UPDATE>
The Kit arrived missing the ratchet handle, A4145810049 WRENCH
note the wheel brace fits the jack so it may in-fact be a better solution as there are less tools to fuss with.
The OEM Tyre sealant and Compressor were too much for my RISK v budget so Ive opted for two cans of HOLTS Tyre Weld.

Installation
Since there are no easily searchable resources showing how the jack fits here's how I did it.

Step 1
Use a craft knife to cut the retaining tabs off top and bottom of the hatch so your Jack will fit.

Finger Automotive tire Bumper Gas Automotive wheel system

It will open a cavernous spot which seems perfectly engineered to retain the heavy jack in a forward collision
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Bumper Rim

Step 2
Place the Tools and marvel at your tetris skills.

note the black wheel chock, and its flimsy construction. ( make mental note to bring a brick in-case of roadside tilt )
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Bumper Vehicle

Step 3
Test Fit the Jack
Grille Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper

Step 4
Bag it and its beer o'clock

Product Luggage and bags Bag Gas Auto part

Remember the PAIN.
Add a Tyre goop can to the Boot ecossystem

Automotive tire Tread Road surface Tire Wood

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
New member here, wanted to chime in. I happen to stumble upon this forum after doing a Google search on the GLC300 Tire problem. The search did show a good amount of reported issues regarding this topic. I was expecting to see more on this forum besides the 4 posted above (unless I'm looking in the wrong place). Around 9,500 miles I started noticing a vibration that was noticeable in the brake pedal. As time went on, it became increasingly worse. Extremely noticeable in the steering wheel. I was driving home from vacation at the beach and I had a hard time controlling the car at highway speeds. I knew I had an appointment with my Mercedes dealer in two days for my 10K Service A. In 2 weeks it will be my 1 year anniversary with my GLC with 10,400 miles. While at my service appointment, I explained exactly what I was experiencing and told them the car is not safe to drive. After inspecting, they said the tires are shot and need to be replaced, they stated they were "Feathering". I had never heard that term before, but I have been reading a lot about it. My advisor told me the Pirelli Scorpion's are junk and they do not recommend using them as my replacement tire. They quoted me a price using Continentals or Michelin's. Well at 10K miles and under 1 year of ownership, I SHOULD NOT BE BUYING TIRES. I did not replace the tires yet, I wanted to do a little digging and research, PLUS, I don't have an extra $1400 on hand.
My 4th Mercedes, I really don't want it to be my last.

A couple of questions:

Is it true you have to put on or use MB approved tires?

Anytime I have bought a car (I've bought a lot too), there was always a tire warranty booklet in the packet of documents, there is none for the Pirelli's, should there have been or are they not warranted?

If Pirelli does not stand behind their product, does Mercedes stand behind theirs?

Any recommendations for replacement tires...

FYI, I did open up a ticket with MBUSA this afternoon, I actually did this because the vehicle is unsafe to use, so if something should happen, I wanted it on record.

One more question...

Do I have the option of NOT replacing Run Flat tires with standard tires? It's not leased, financed.
I’m exactly Erie conf the same exact issue on a GLC 2018.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I changed all 4 of my 20" tires yesterday. I got 48,000Kms out of the original Pirelli run flats after 2.5 years.
However, I decided to go with regular tires. I hated the ride on the run flats and I have to say, my GLC now rides as I expected it to.
I don't have a spare, yes, I'm taking the risk, which is against my nature.
Went with Michelin Pilot Sport.
How do you like the Michelin tires?

·
Registered
GLC 250D Selenite Grey AMG line, Command package, Seat Comfort package, Vision Package
13 Posts
How do you like the Michelin tires?
HI Faraz?
Are you by any chance in Australia? (Klms) if so how much did you pay for the Michelin?
I have also 48000 KLM and ready to change tyres, how ever I keep getting mixed messages from Tyre shops
Bridgestone said with out a doubt they would replace with ordinary tyres
two other tyre shops said NO WAY as I will have problems with the car
eg. the car has been set up for run flats and with normal tyres I will damage the suspension and the car will not sit on the road instead float around and bounce around the road
Cost wise there is not much difference in price between run flats and normal tyres (all of which are expensive)

·
Registered
GLC 250D Selenite Grey AMG line, Command package, Seat Comfort package, Vision Package
13 Posts
I changed all 4 of my 20" tires yesterday. I got 48,000Kms out of the original Pirelli run flats after 2.5 years.
However, I decided to go with regular tires. I hated the ride on the run flats and I have to say, my GLC now rides as I expected it to.
I don't have a spare, yes, I'm taking the risk, which is against my nature.
Went with Michelin Pilot Sport.
HI Faraz?
Are you by any chance in Australia? (Klms) if so how much did you pay for the Michelin?
I have also 48000 KLM and ready to change tyres, how ever I keep getting mixed messages from Tyre shops
eg. the car has been set up for run flats and with normal tyres I will damage the suspension and the car will not sit on the road instead float around and bounce around the road
Cost wise there is not much difference in price between run flats and normal tyres (all of which are expensive)

·
Registered
18 Posts
HI Faraz?
I got a set of 4 at Jax Quickfit got the usual good service and the Michelin Buy 4 Pay 3 usual deal, 4 x $415 each fitted balanced and Aligned.
AND
with Free Temporary Plug so I could get onwith life while the truck from Melbourne came.

I score them 8.5/10 after a few hundred ks and I'm a bit picky on rubber.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts