Mercedes GLC Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon All..

Several months ago not long after the Covid restrictions kicked in I decided to clean my GLC myself!! When cleaning the sunroof area I noticed that the seals were what I thought rotting away.

I took the car to my local dealership and to my horror and dismay told me that the damage has been caused by rodents!! To say I was flabbergasted would be an understatement, I've had several previous Mercedes Coupes parked on the drive with sunroofs and no issues, my wifes GLA is parked on the drive without issue and evidently the critters have decided to pick on my GLC.

REALLY?? I don't believe this for a minute, for that much damage I would expect to have seen debris left on the roof or bird muck spread over the car and surely rodents are only attracted to something if there is the potential for food??

Because it's alledged rodent damage they aren't prepared to repair under warranty and are quoting in excess of £2500..

Has anyone else experienced anything similar, if so what happened?

Considering getting an independent vehicle inspector to take a look for another opinion but open to suggestions from the wider community.

Thanks

SIMON

Attachments

·
Registered
471 Posts
Welcome to the forum and sorry to read about your tale of woe, Simon. The damage to the sunroof seal certainly looks creature-inflicted rather than natural degradation. Due to the location I seriously doubt it was caused by rodents. My best guess would be it has been caused by a member of the corvid family, probably the common crow or magpie. A quick Google will probably throw up results involving window or sunroof seal damage caused by crows. They probably see their reflection in the glass and try to get access to attack the "other bird". This behaviour is not uncommon, especially during Spring when they are establishing their territories. I have had them pull the silicone sealing from my double glazed windows before now.

If the seal has not been compromised I'd be tempted to overlay a strip of black Gorilla tape in the affected area for aesthetic reasons assuming that part of the seal remains static during sunroof operation.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I'd agree with toobad as it certainly looks like bird damage.
I had an issue this year with a very determined pied wagtail who saw his relelction in our motorhome drivers door window as a rival and constantly attacked it, when I taped it all up he moved on to the little Skoda Citigo tow car parked next so I taped each window in turn as the little b*gger moved on to different windows around the car, he damaged the seal on one of the car windows and next in line was my GLC so I got a large bit of plastic mirror and stuck it on the fence by the time he gave up there were peck and scratch marks all over it. If it had been a crow or magpie I'd have got the air rifle out!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts