Mercedes GLC Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter will be attending college in a smaller town next fall, with no MB dealership. The nearest MB dealership will be Fort Worth, TX, about 2 hours.

Now if it was completely up to dad - and in the end it is since I'm buying - I would have her in a RAV4. But she wants something a little different and I understand that. We have looked at the Alfa Romeo Stelvio as well. It's a neat car.

My biggest fear is a disabled car in the parking lot at college that I have to fool with and her be without a car for an extended period.

We used to own a GL450 and it was probably the worst car I ever owned. The electronics and air suspension were comically bad.

What is everyone's thoughts on the GLC as a rock-solid dependable car that doesn't leave you stranded somewhere? Thank you!

·
Registered
31 Posts
If you buy a new car, you shouldn’t expect any problem with it. I’ve had my GLC300 for 2 years now, and haven’t had any problem with it. Then again, I barely passed 11K miles on it. Have you considered something like a Subaru for your college bound child?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you buy a new car, you shouldn’t expect any problem with it. I’ve had my GLC300 for 2 years now, and haven’t had any problem with it. Then again, I barely passed 11K miles on it. Have you considered something like a Subaru for your college bound child?
If it was up to me, she'd be in a Toyota, Honda, or Subaru. But I'm trying to flex a little bit. I am worried about the Stelvio reliability.

·
Registered
41 Posts
We own a recent model GLC and a 9 year old RAV4. The Toyota goes to the dealer once a year for a service, and that's it. Wish i could say the same for the Merc. Don't get me wrong, the Merc is the better car, (and it should be for the price) but if you want something that is incredibly reliable and trouble free, I'd go for the Toyota.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My daughter will be attending college in a smaller town next fall, with no MB dealership. The nearest MB dealership will be Fort Worth, TX, about 2 hours.

Now if it was completely up to dad - and in the end it is since I'm buying - I would have her in a RAV4. But she wants something a little different and I understand that. We have looked at the Alfa Romeo Stelvio as well. It's a neat car.

My biggest fear is a disabled car in the parking lot at college that I have to fool with and her be without a car for an extended period.

We used to own a GL450 and it was probably the worst car I ever owned. The electronics and air suspension were comically bad.

What is everyone's thoughts on the GLC as a rock-solid dependable car that doesn't leave you stranded somewhere? Thank you!
I have a 2016 MB GLC300 with over 103K miles on it already. On the road, it has been extremely reliable and economical. It routinely gets 27 - 29 mpg even running at 75 - 80 mph.
I did have a strange transmission issue. However it was NOT the transmission, but the electronic harness. Otherwise, it has been a great vehicle

·
Registered
31 Posts
I wouldn’t buy Italian car. They are the most unreliable. Mercedes is quite reliable but Murphy’s law tend to happen when you least expected. Buy your daughter a Toyota, Honda, or any Japanese and Korean car for now. as Most places are readily available to service them even in small towns. Then buy a her a Mercedes when she graduates from college.

·
Registered
3 Posts

from my personal experience I would say get her the RAV 4 Daddy. That is a practical great vehicle for a freshman college student with lots of local dealerships everywhere. I have a GLC 300 which was my 70 bday present and honestly I’m over it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts