Mercedes GLC Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello - disk brakes are often "squeaky" when a vehicle has not been moved - driven - for a number of days - check the rotors & the disk pads - easily visible - take the vehicle for a drive - and re-check.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Designed to "squeal"

If the "squeaky" is still present after having driven the vehicle - then replace the brake pads since they are designed to "squeaky" when they need to be replaced: When brake pads wear down a specific percentage they are designed to "squeal" - thus signaling the need to be replaced - this would be considered a safety
alert (alarm) - since worn brake pads will not stop the vehicle as they should - meaning the number of feet required to stop at -say- 50 mph ---- would increase dramatically.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Hi
Not so sure about the last post saying they squeak when worn, the don't need that as the dashboard warning light will activate when the pads are 80% worn giving plenty time to change them.

Squealing can be an issue on the C class and GLC especially if the pad surface becomes glazed when a couple of sharp braking actions will usually clear it however they do seem to squeal when reversing and even my mates' 3 year old C200 does that.

I had the issue with my GLC, pushed the dealer hard and they replaced the rear pads under warranty as MB know all about the problem. Have only driven 700 miles since but no squealing at all since they were changed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Brake pad squealing

"Most brake pads are equipped with sensors built in to the brake pad material. When a brake pad that's 12 mm thick new wears to approximately 3 mm of pad life remaining, the metal sensor usually becomes exposed and makes contact with the disc causing a squealing sound."

"The brake pads are positioned in the caliper. A metal tab fastened to the pad assembly alerts drivers when the pads have thinned out. As the pads wear down, the tab will rub against the rotor, causing a squealing sound when the brakes are applied. ... If you wait too long, the brakes may begin to grind.”

"Brake pads do a lot of work to stop your car and tend to need the most attention. You'll know it's time to replace the brake pads if you hear - Squealing: This noise is there for you. It’s not fun to hear, but the pads are made to squeal when they are almost worn out. Some cars are equipped with brake pad sensors. When the pad wears down, the sensor touches the brake rotor, and that produces a squealing sound."

These are quotes from various websites addressing brake squealing - unfortunately all brake pads are not so equipped !

·
Registered
259 Posts
"Most brake pads are equipped with sensors built in to the brake pad material. When a brake pad that's 12 mm thick new wears to approximately 3 mm of pad life remaining, the metal sensor usually becomes exposed and makes contact with the disc causing a squealing sound."

"The brake pads are positioned in the caliper. A metal tab fastened to the pad assembly alerts drivers when the pads have thinned out. As the pads wear down, the tab will rub against the rotor, causing a squealing sound when the brakes are applied. ... If you wait too long, the brakes may begin to grind.”

"Brake pads do a lot of work to stop your car and tend to need the most attention. You'll know it's time to replace the brake pads if you hear - Squealing: This noise is there for you. It’s not fun to hear, but the pads are made to squeal when they are almost worn out. Some cars are equipped with brake pad sensors. When the pad wears down, the sensor touches the brake rotor, and that produces a squealing sound."

These are quotes from various websites addressing brake squealing - unfortunately all brake pads are not so equipped !
Must have missed this as it was posted a few weeks ago.

I'm sure all of that may well be the case for some vehicles however the issue with the GLC, also applicable tn the C class is somewhat different. It's a known issue and a fault. Whether as has been suggested the original pads were poor quality I don't know but I can confirm that in my case the squealing was there from the beginning, mostly when reversing but also sometimes travelling forwards slowly and the noise was loud enough to turn the heads of pedestrians and therefore embarrassing!
When the dealer changed the rear pads there was still almost 9mm remaining and the new pads have completely cured the problem. Not a single instance of squealing since they were fitted 2000 miles later.

A friend with a C class 200d had his pads changed at a recent service and his identical issue is now resolved also!

I hope that clears up any confusion.

·
Registered
1 Posts
HI There,

Im currently driving a GLC 250 4 matic, Year 2016.
My milliage is currently at 52,000km.
I was advised to change all 4 of my Brake discs.

This would be the first time i am changing my Brakes disc.
I have changed my brake pads 2 x within the last 3 years.

Is this normal?

Looking forward to your reply.

Thank you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I want buy GLC COUPE 260, But very worried appear brake squeaky
Sell it! I bought my 2017 GLC new in late 2016. I drive a lot and have 108,000 miles on it now. They have tried to fix them 3-4 times now and they still squeal when backing up. I have dealt with this for 108,000 miles and Mercedes just kind of chuckles about it now. Get rid of the car before it drives you crazy.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Lons How did you manage to get them changed under warranty as my local MB garage insist the excessive brake squeal on my 220d GLC is not a warranty job and want over £450 to replace both the front brake pads and the rear brake pads?

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have a 2019 C200 coupe and the brakes have clunked, moaned and groaned since we have had the car. According to Mercedes today this is an issue they are aware of!!! I told them google it and you will see lots of complaints. Car going in for its first new car service next week so we will wait and see what happens.....

·
Registered
144 Posts
I understand MB revised the shape of the brake pads and removed solid corner shapes and rounded and angled brake pads to remove / reduce brake squeal.
Check to see if part numbers have been changed - a number of Australian drivers have had their pads replaced under warranty on dealer goodwill, others have waited till due to replace.
Pads tend to be replaced around 45,000km, depends on driving style and if you regularly use cruise control which, whilst safer driving does accelerate brake pad and disc replacement.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts