Mercedes GLC Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone

A week ago i bought GLC coupe but it comes with only rear camera, Any budy know how can i get the 360 retrofits package, and is it possible?

·
Registered
29 Posts
It involves having cameras in each wing mirror and over the front bumper. I would think that with all things MB, it would be a very expensive retro fit.

·
Registered
71 Posts
doubt you will be able to retrofit. as mentioned by eastwinger, you will need 3 cameras - front, and 1 under each mirror. that means wires, new mirrors, the cameras, and i would assume a module, and then software to generate the 360 image.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was spoke to a salesman about the 360 camera option but to my surprise, he told me it was a waste of money because the cameras did not show anything that you couldn't see in the mirrors with your own eyes.

Can anyone with experience using 360 chime in ? Will it make scrapping the car any less likely ?
Unfortunately, there are no demo cars with the 360 camera in my part of the world so I am unable to try it for myself.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have the 360 camera and it's excellent !

We can pin point park it by just using the cameras and in the GLC. It really is very good. Your sales person is wrong.

This is a recommended item from me and should be standard on all large cars.

·
Registered
467 Posts
If your salesman saw the opportunity to sell you a car that didn't come with the 360 camera simply because it was available or already in the pipeline then his comment does not surprise me. When you put the car into reverse a designated wing mirror will automatically reposition to give you a more targeted view of the rear corner of the car. I specified the drone view camera system simply so I could see how close my alloy wheels were to the kerb. I figured the cost to add the 360 camera was actually less than the cost of having to refurbish a couple of the wheels. Unfortunately there is no chance of retrofitting the camera as a dedicated wiring loom along with the specific hardware would need to be installed on the production line if the camera option had been listed on your build sheet.

Reactions: r8ndom

·
Registered
15 Posts
If your salesman saw the opportunity to sell you a car that didn't come with the 360 camera simply because it was available or already in the pipeline then his comment does not surprise me.
It was also the same salesman who said there were absolutely no steering/crabbing issues in HK. Oh well, I'll put him down as a Kelly Anne Conway and will steer clear of him. I know, he's just doing his job..

Anyway, thanks for confirming the usefulness of the 360. It looked good to me in the brochure and for the money, seemed worth having even if not absolutely neccessary. Plus, I think my better half will appreciate it when she has to park the car

·
Super Moderator
1,144 Posts
Your salesman isn't doing his job by giving you false information, went for a drive in my car yesterday prior to delivery next week and was VERY impressed with the 360 degree camera.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I was spoke to a salesman about the 360 camera option but to my surprise, he told me it was a waste of money because the cameras did not show anything that you couldn't see in the mirrors with your own eyes.

Can anyone with experience using 360 chime in ? Will it make scrapping the car any less likely ?
Unfortunately, there are no demo cars with the 360 camera in my part of the world so I am unable to try it for myself.

Thanks in advance
Personally, and that may come as a surprise to many, I agree with the sales person.

I had the 360 degree camera option in my GLS (mucho bigger version of the GLC without crabbing) and yes it is a great party piece as especially 3.5years ago it wasn't that common. But even in that big monster truck we didn't use it that much. I guess twice it was useful to check how close we were at the back so we didn't cause too much overhang at the front.

The GLC is tiny in comparison, a really small car to me. Which was the point for us as we wanted to down size. The option was only what? £230 in the UK, so the cost of a nice meal out in London. And I still didn't tick the box.

To me the car is so small that you can easily use the mirrors, and the front and rear parking sensors are superb with great display in the right locations. And you have a standard the rear view camera.

So unless you perhaps really go off-road and need a view to see how far away you are from that tree on the side of the car then great. Or if you want a great party trick also great. Of if you just want it, no reasons are required.

But to me, I don't miss it at all.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Could somebody please chip in with a confirmation please. The graphic used to depict my car when generating the 360 view is coloured red. Is this because my car is Hyacinth Red or is it just the chosen colour for all cameras. I'd like to think people are getting to see an approximation of their own car's colour as this means Mercedes has taken the extra step of coding the camera software with the car-specific colours.

·
Super Moderator
1,144 Posts
Toobad, you will be happy to hear the car depicted on my screen is Grey to match my car, nice touch.

Reactions: Toobad

·
Registered
182 Posts
Could somebody please chip in with a confirmation please. The graphic used to depict my car when generating the 360 view is coloured red. Is this because my car is Hyacinth Red or is it just the chosen colour for all cameras. I'd like to think people are getting to see an approximation of their own car's colour as this means Mercedes has taken the extra step of coding the camera software with the car-specific colours.
All I can say is that my GLS was silver and the display showed it as silver.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the 360 degree camera and I think it is worth every penny. One useful little bonus is when parking you can see if you are within the lines which a lot of parking fine companies are now very keen on. Yes it shows my car is white which is a small but neat touch.

·
Registered
46 Posts
360 camera is great, most usefull thing I've had in a car for years. Retrofitting is going to cost so much and that's if the wiring is there.

I would not fret too much as you can just make sure you have it next time. You should still give your useless salesman some grief over this and make his life ****, try to get something as compensation at least.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I feel the same as Henryc1, the ability to see the lines, front and rear obstructions etc. on one display are a great asset. Before we ordered the GLC, I added front and rear cameras to an '03 F-150 and that decided me.

·
Registered
33 Posts
360 camera falls into the category of you don't know what you are missing.

This isn't something I ever would have ordered. I've been driving for 25 years, never needed it, why waste money on it? Then my wife got a Qashqai that came with it as part of the trim level she bought. Bloody **** it's brilliant. Parking in awkward spaces (actually, parking generally), passing through a tight spot, trying to avoid kerbs when parallel parking.....

Yes, I'd coped pretty well without it, but it's so much better and easier WITH it.

This was the first option selected for the GLC I have on order....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is there anyway to retrofit parking sensors on a 2017 GLC 300? I just purchased one today! AMAZING CAR! It just lacks parking sensors and 360 camera honestly haha

·
Registered
50 Posts
My GLC is Selenite Grey and the graphic displayed is grey.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts