Mercedes GLC Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
My 250 GLC AMG LINE PREMIUM is 3 years old come end of May, only done 15,000 miles and was going to pay the balloon payment and keep it but recently noticed the loud sound when turning at low speeds. Checked out the front tyres and they are shot to pieces. never changed tyres before on any car until 20k - I have 20inch goodyear run flats as provided my Mercedes from new.
looking at the reviews on here it would seem I am better to hand it back to MERCS at the 3 year stage and let them have the problem.

Anyone have any other thoughts other than buying shares in Goodyear!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Did you get the Knuckles replaced under warranty?

The new knuckles change the steering geometry fixing the fault on our AMG Line 250d

Original tyres only lasted 12,500 miles - totally shot. MB fitted FOC Run Flat All Season tyres and these have been on for 25,000 miles and still ok. I don’t believe MB are still offering the FOC tyres, but at the time - just before the re-engineered knuckles became available, MB UK were desperate to find a solution.

Hated the car when it Crabbed & Juddered

Great car now it’s fixed

·
Registered
8 Posts
Did you get the Knuckles replaced under warranty?

The new knuckles change the steering geometry fixing the fault on our AMG Line 250d

Original tyres only lasted 12,500 miles - totally shot. MB fitted FOC Run Flat All Season tyres and these have been on for 25,000 miles and still ok. I don’t believe MB are still offering the FOC tyres, but at the time - just before the re-engineered knuckles became available, MB UK were desperate to find a solution.

Hated the car when it Crabbed & Juddered

Great car now it’s fixed
Thanks for the prompt reply, I have only recently realised there is the problem so no, not changed the knuckles unless MERCS did it when it went in for standard service.
I read a few people on here say the knuckles don’t solve the problem on the AMG?

·
Registered
221 Posts
The new Knuckles fix the fault on all models except the C43 & C63 AMG models

I’d be amazed if your dealer replaced the knuckles during a standard service - its a £1,000+ cost if not done under warranty.

All the owners who have asked get this work done under warranty - many people just live with it

The AMG Line model does not have the same suspension as the real AMG’s - MB do not have a fix for these models + C43 / C63’s only get around 6,000 miles out of a set of tyres

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thank you ever so much, I will call my local Merc garage where I purchased the car and see what they have to say.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So I called my local Mercedes garage today where I purchased the car (Jardines WEST Thurrock) and advised them the problem to be told that the earliest date they are taking vehicles in for Diagnostic checks is the 27 April !!

·
Registered
221 Posts
The GLC Crabbing Fault does NOT require diagnosis - it’s a 100% known fault that all MB UK dealers have been fixing under Warranty for 2 years.

Call MB UK directly and complain - they will arrange for your Dealer to Order and Fit the required parts

Covid restrictions might slow things down - but the dealers are still doing services, repairs & mots etc

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi guys
I too am an owner of AMG 43 GLC with the 21” inch wheels and the same crabbing condition. Mercedes MK dismiss this “characteristic” as an AMG performance characteristic” as per their instructions from Germany. They changed the front tyres back in 2015 with just 6500 miles on the clock as the were below the legal limit as a “gesture of good faith” end now in 2021 with just 15500 miles completed from new on March 1 2018 they refused to 1 replace the fronts again and denied any fault with the vehicle’s steering stating it’s just the performance characteristic. I am going to write to them and Mercedes UK demanding a tyre support package, compensation and threatening legal action for refund if they do not help me out. Any thoughts from you guys or suggestions? Hints/ tips much appreciated
Cheers
I had the same problem but I called the Mercedes-Benz customer service and advised them of the issue. That the dealer refuses to change my wheel knuckles even though its them telling me that they need changing. The dealer then just changed subject saying it's not needed and will not do
. After making. Compliant next day or so I got a call to have my car booked in to replace the knuckles which they originally denied doing.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Shocking how some MB dealers have treated customers and ignored this fault.

To others with this issue - call MB UK and complain - they will arrange for your dealer to get it sorted.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi All,

thank you for the advice on this. Car went in 2 days ago, authorisation given by Mercedes yesterday and knuckles fitted today, car returned although no joy re getting replacement tyres. Hopefully this will cure the problem.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts