Mercedes GLC Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe everyone here knows about the recall due to fire risk. And guess what? It happened to me.

Photos are attached.

Can not post the link of the full video due to forum rules but you can ask me privately if interested.

Attachments

·
Registered
467 Posts
That looks pretty terrifying but can we have the full backstory as to the cause in your particular case. The worldwide recall pertains to an underrated link in the starter circuit. Failure could potentially occur if the starter motor draws a higher than usual current perhaps due to the engine being prevented from spinning up freely. A common cause for this is from a condition known as hydrolocking where water has entered the engine and caused it to seize. Continuing to operate the starter under this condition will cause the starter to demand a current from the battery which exceeds the rating of the wiring causing it to heat up and potentially burst into flames. Driving into deep water can cause hydrolocking.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Holy moly now that is scary :| So what's the situation now on what MB is going to do about this? How much damages were sustained?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts