Mercedes GLC Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Mercedes lovers!
On my glc, year 2018, at every hole on the road the car shakes and rumbles a lot. Do you also find that the GLC drives you poorly on a potholed road? How can I solve the problem? Shock absorbers, suspension, engine mounts ??

·
Registered
12 Posts
We have a 2016 GLS300. We too found the same issue and the dealer replaced the shocks under warranty but that made no difference. I looked everywhere to find a pressure I could use that would not void the warranty. Not on line and not in the manual but I did find alternate pressures under the gas cap door. It allows for 32 pounds per sq. inch and it helped the issue dramatically. Try that.

·
Registered
45 Posts
We have a 2016 GLS300. We too found the same issue and the dealer replaced the shocks under warranty but that made no difference. I looked everywhere to find a pressure I could use that would not void the warranty. Not on line and not in the manual but I did find alternate pressures under the gas cap door. It allows for 32 pounds per sq. inch and it helped the issue dramatically. Try that.
Pressures? What are pressures

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hello Mercedes lovers!
On my glc, year 2018, at every hole on the road the car shakes and rumbles a lot. Do you also find that the GLC drives you poorly on a potholed road? How can I solve the problem? Shock absorbers, suspension, engine mounts ??
I think it is the Runflat tires personally. I've been told they hit every bump hard. I am switching mine out next week for non runflats. Let us see if that works. If this doesn't work I'll consider dumping this car. Even riding over uneven roads with lots of cracks is loud.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello Mercedes lovers!
Have you tried lower tire pressures? Worked wonders for my 2016 GLC300. I run 32 lbs cold rather than the prescribed 42. You will find the alt. pressure only listed under your gas cap door. Try it before switching.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Have you tried lower tire pressures? Worked wonders for my 2016 GLC300. I run 32 lbs cold rather than the prescribed 42. You will find the alt. pressure only listed under your gas cap door. Try it before switching.
Hi. Thanks for the reply. This site is a bit of a ghost town lately. I actually do have mine at 32 as well on the 20 inch rims. Still very uncomfortable if its not a perfect road. I live where the roads aren't nice.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi. Thanks for the reply. This site is a bit of a ghost town lately. I actually do have mine at 32 as well on the 20 inch rims. Still very uncomfortable if its not a perfect road. I live where the roads aren't nice.
My wheels are 18' and from experience, sport wheels are by nature a harder ride. You must have an AMG. Broke all 4 wheels in our SLK 500 15ish years ago. Never want sport wheels again.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My wheels are 18' and from experience, sport wheels are by nature a harder ride. You must have an AMG. Broke all 4 wheels in our SLK 500 15ish years ago. Never want sport wheels again.
I wish mine were. I got the AMG Body design but the GLC 300. But that means it came with Staggered 20 inchers. So add runflat on top of that and you get a gross ride. I'm hoping to have better luck with the CrossClimate2 which is rated well for quiet technology and softer ride. If that doesn't work I dont wanna buy four new wheels and tires for the car ... I'd rather trade it in for another car than spend $5000 on tires and wheels

·
Registered
3 Posts
The ride on my 2018 GLC250 4MATIC equipped with factory fitted 255/45R20 Bridgestone DUELERs gave my wife motion sickness. The stiff nature of these tyres made the ride extremely severe.
At 25,000 km, the tyres were almost worn out, so their durability is also questionable. Changed to non-runflat Chinese FARROAD EXTRA FR088 and the transformation has been extraordinary - much quieter and less harsh over bumps. I carry a tyre repair kit just in case of puncture.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The ride on my 2018 GLC250 4MATIC equipped with factory fitted 255/45R20 Bridgestone DUELERs gave my wife motion sickness. The stiff nature of these tyres made the ride extremely severe.
At 25,000 km, the tyres were almost worn out, so their durability is also questionable. Changed to non-runflat Chinese FARROAD EXTRA FR088 and the transformation has been extraordinary - much quieter and less harsh over bumps. I carry a tyre repair kit just in case of puncture.
Oh ok. I don’t think I ever heard of those tires. Well I go get my new NON runflats tomorrow. Hopefully there is a difference that is much less severe than the sh-t I’m dealing with now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello Mercedes lovers!

Run flats have very thick, hard side walls which inherently transmit road imperfections and noise into your driving experience. They are expensive and can't be fixed or patched if you get a nail in them. At 20K, I ditched then and bought Michelin Defenders which have provided a quiet, luxurious ride. I bought a GLK 350 SPARE and Jack should I need to actually change a tire in an emergency. My research showed that this was the same spare offered in European versions of the GLC 300. -. where runflat tires are eschewed. The back trunk/boot accommodates the GLK350 spare as well as the jack and 12V portable air pump which I bought from Harbour Freight. Replacing the crappy run flat tires with premium radials turned them car into the luxury SUV it was meant to be.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Run flats have very thick, hard side walls which inherently transmit road imperfections and noise into your driving experience. They are expensive and can't be fixed or patched if you get a nail in them. At 20K, I ditched then and bought Michelin Defenders which have provided a quiet, luxurious ride. I bought a GLK 350 SPARE and Jack should I need to actually change a tire in an emergency. My research showed that this was the same spare offered in European versions of the GLC 300. -. where runflat tires are eschewed. The back trunk/boot accommodates the GLK350 spare as well as the jack and 12V portable air pump which I bought from Harbour Freight. Replacing the crappy run flat tires with premium radials turned them car into the luxury SUV it was meant to be.
It’s ridiculous that a luxury brand would sell this runflat garbage and jeopardize a luxury ride with this garbage concept is beyond my mind. Thanks for the GLK spare info. I was looking all over to see if there was a common spare for this car. I think the GLK was the predecessor of the GLC anyway.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts