Mercedes GLC Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While the GLC looks like it's exactly what I want, after reading about the new C class, I'm wondering if the GLC will see the same quality control problems? The MB forums seem to be full of posts by users with major QC problems with the C class. Wind noise, bad LEDs, all sorts of electrical problems, dealer service, etc.

It will be interesting to read the reviews over the next few months.

Dan.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I didn't know about this. Thanks for the heads up. Mercedes sometimes does have quality issues, and quality issues really turn me off of vehicles. I hate having to deal with car problems.

·
Registered
63 Posts
While the GLC looks like it's exactly what I want, after reading about the new C class, I'm wondering if the GLC will see the same quality control problems? The MB forums seem to be full of posts by users with major QC problems with the C class. Wind noise, bad LEDs, all sorts of electrical problems, dealer service, etc.

It will be interesting to read the reviews over the next few months.

Dan.
Do you know if those are specific to a certain location or manufacturing center? I know GLK and C class never used to share a factory, not sure about now. I know Us C classes all come from Alabama.

Far as I understand all GLC's for the US market will still come from Germany...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you know if those are specific to a certain location or manufacturing center? I know GLK and C class never used to share a factory, not sure about now. I know Us C classes all come from Alabama.

Far as I understand all GLC's for the US market will still come from Germany...
I hope you are correct, but I read that they will also be built in the U.S. And since it uses on a lot of c class components, the only logical choice would be that plant.

Given the randomness of the issues and the higher incidence of issues with the U.S. built cars, it looks like these are manufacturing problems and not design problems.

Since I'm looking for a GLC with all the bells and whistles, it will probably cost $60K or more. But it is not even remotely rational to spend that much money on a car with major problems like the c class.

Yes, I'm concerned.

Dan.

·
Registered
412 Posts
That's why I miss the days of when they were made in Germany, same goes for the Japanese when their vehicles were built in Japan. Build quality was amazing.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I hope you are correct, but I read that they will also be built in the U.S. And since it uses on a lot of c class components, the only logical choice would be that plant.

Given the randomness of the issues and the higher incidence of issues with the U.S. built cars, it looks like these are manufacturing problems and not design problems.

Since I'm looking for a GLC with all the bells and whistles, it will probably cost $60K or more. But it is not even remotely rational to spend that much money on a car with major problems like the c class.

Yes, I'm concerned.

Dan.
I've read only a chance so far 2016 Mercedes-Benz GLC (GLK-Class) Spy Shots

Then again I figure they would of made an announcement already as its not far out from market launch...

·
Registered
225 Posts

Yes, I'm concerned.

Dan.
Even when vehicles have quality issues its not every single one that have the issues. It is a higher percentage than usual, but most people still have fine vehicles. It's something to be aware of but I wouldn't make it a huge factor in my buying decision.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Even when vehicles have quality issues its not every single one that have the issues. It is a higher percentage than usual, but most people still have fine vehicles. It's something to be aware of but I wouldn't make it a huge factor in my buying decision.
You sound like someone who has never purchased a brand new car that has then ended up to be a problematic nightmare. I've been through that before, and have no desire to go through it again.

When I bought my first new Audi A8, I kept on having issues with the sunroof. It kept breaking. Finally the regional service manager took the car for a drive, opened the sunroof, and the sunroof glass ended up shattering all over him. That was the end of that. Me and the car were done. And that's only one issue I had with that car.

Now, Audi did end up replacing the A8 with a second brand new one that was much better (with an additional $10k in free options that I wasn't charged for), so I have to commend Audi for rectifying the problem as best as possible.

What will my local Mercedes dealer do if I have an issue with this GLC? I sure hope it's better than how they treated me when my E-Class wagon started rusting after only 5 years...good grief.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Customer service at german car dealers get better with every purchase you make from that same dealer, unless you walked in to buy an S-Class or SLS... then you're god to them.

·
Registered
149 Posts
March 2018.
GLC in top 10 Happy Owners - Consumer Reliability in USA.
https://www.cheatsheet.com/automobiles/reliable-cars-suvs-road-today.html/5/

“ Any vehicle based on the Mercedes C-Class has a head-start on the competition, so there is no surprise the GLC compact SUV fared well in Consumer Reports tests. Reviewers pointed out the excellent performance, genuine luxury feel inside the cabin, and unusually appealing nine-speed transmission. With its first year of reliability tests out of the way, the GLC line got the best score of any Mercedes in the running. “

Nice to hear.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts