Mercedes GLC Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I drive a 2018 GLC250 AMG line. So far it has about 9000 (Yes, nine thousand) kilometres. Throughout this period, I have consistently experienced the suspension bottom out on my GLC when going over speed humps, which causes an unpleasant and very distinct THUMP. It certainly not an experience I expect from a 'Premium SUV'.

When going speed humps, the impact varies from a light tap on the bumpstop, to a full on impact that indicates the lack of suspension travel and damping.

Is anyone experiencing this on their GLC?

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have a Sept 2017 250d AMG-line on 20" wheels with Vredestein all season tyres ( not runflats ) and the car has now covered nearly 14000 miles. I find the ride more than acceptable for a car with firm suspension and large wheels but then I don't want a car that wallows all over the road, had enough of those on our trips to the USA:smile2:

There are a number of sizeable speed humps on a local road I use a lot and anything over walking pace results in a thump but the speed humps are there for precicely that pupose, to seriously slow cars down so any issue should surely be with the local authority if you don't believe they are justified which is sometimes the case.

cheers
Bob

·
Registered
54 Posts
Have a look under the car at the springs, it's not unheard of for the dealer to forget to remove the transit packers

·
Registered
55 Posts
When going speed humps, the impact varies from a light tap on the bumpstop, to a full on impact that indicates the lack of suspension travel and damping.

Is anyone experiencing this on their GLC?
My experience is similar, though not as often, but have had the bumps stops come up real quick on rare occasions when encountering the typical Australian back roads.
Concur with your conclusion.

My view is that the damping and spring rates are not optimised for the run flat tyre construction, which has a stiffer sidewall and is not absorbing enough of the impact at the wheel.

Many folk who have changed to non run flat tyres have commented on the better quality ride ...and handling!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for you input! Good to know I'm not alone. The suspension has become absolutely unbearable lately and I insisted that the issue be resolved under warranty.

Car will be going under the knife in a week. I'll update this thread after a while of driving to see if this problem can be fixed. I don't have high hopes as I assume they would probably just slap on another set of C-Class suspension but there's no harm trying.

Cheers!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi. I have exactly the same problem, it’s horrible and no obvious cause. Going in for diagnosis this week.
I had done the same thing and the technicians constantly diverted their focus from the suspension, saying my pressure weren't right and our roads are bad.

However, I insisted that the suspension be replaced because the test car that I drove didn't have this problem as often or as severely. I'll update this thread if it's any better after replacement.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same issue. It's funny how once it gets in your head it completely takes over. So I'm not sure if it's real or imagined, and it's difficult to benchmark...I don't have another to get into and drive.
It definitely does feel like every road imperfection is felt through the vehicle.

and for another day, I had to have the engine mounts replaced after only 14 months of driving. Connected to suspension?

Would be interested in your feedback.

cheers

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Same issue. It's funny how once it gets in your head it completely takes over. So I'm not sure if it's real or imagined, and it's difficult to benchmark...I don't have another to get into and drive.
It definitely does feel like every road imperfection is felt through the vehicle.

and for another day, I had to have the engine mounts replaced after only 14 months of driving. Connected to suspension?

Would be interested in your feedback.

cheers

Thanks for your input.
I wouldn't think the the engine mounts would be connected to the suspension. Their sole purpose in my view, is simply to absorb engine vibration before it reaches the cabin.

But I do agree that every imperfection is felt. It's fine when cruising as it soaks up bumps but on smaller roads and slower speeds, it's not comfortable. Not to mention the way the car twitches when going over bumps while taking sweeping bends on highways.

Cheers!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What was the outcome ?
Hi! Had quite some time driving and somewhat happy to report that my car had faulty suspension. After replacement, the ride is more reassuring, although still not suitable for an SUV of this class as it's quite soft. It doesn't bottom out as much as it does and feels more progressive in terms of damping.

Feels so much better now, it's not bottoming out everywhere. Perhaps my car was one that unfortunately got the defected suspension from factory.

Overall, if your car isn't driving normally or in a way that doesn't feel right. I would advise to head back to the dealer and drive the exact same test car. If the dealer hesitates that's there is a problem and you still feels that it's unusual, you can insist that they replace it - especially if your car is still under warranty.

Cheers and share your experience too!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts